PDA

View Full Version : cargo ops

crazy_bird
27th Sep 2010, 17:19
hey guys,
why are cargo operations usually in the night?

zerozero
27th Sep 2010, 20:15
So you can receive your box of chocolates before lunchtime.

:8

CargoMatatu
28th Sep 2010, 08:25
This is a common misconception that really only applies to short/medium haul operations.

Long haul freighting is twenty-four hours a day.

grounded27
28th Sep 2010, 08:46
Long haul = cool dense air that allow's for maximum RW t/o performance for one reason. The other is that labor is better available in the daytime as long flights happen at night.

crazy_bird
28th Sep 2010, 14:06
hmm....all right..
thanks a lot
cheers :ok:

SNS3Guppy
28th Sep 2010, 16:10
Crazybird,

The times for cargo flights vary with the purpose of the flights. I operate internationally, and our airplanes keep moving. The time of day the flight takes place really depends on when the last flight arrived, how long removing cargo and fueling takes place, arrival times for new cargo, delays that occurred before the last leg, and so on.

Our airplanes will typically arrive somewhere, change crews and get fuel, and be gone again in two hours. Even a short leg can make a big diference in the next flight's departure time as it crosses time zones. Often one flight I do will leave in the night, while the next leaves in the day. Sometimes we will take off just prior to night fall, and the night will pass away within a few hours and become day light again as we fly east. Sometimes we even depart one day,and arrive somewhere else the day before...because of time zones, direction of flight, the international date line, and the length of that leg.

Some flights are conducted at night because freight is collected in the daytime, and distributed in the daytime. If you send a package during the day, it will be flown overnight to the destination, and delivered to the recipient in the daytime.

I see you're in Bahrain. I generally arrive there in the dark and leave again around the dark. Part of the reason for that is because it is a little cooler at night, and airplane performance is predicated on temperature, as well as weight. However, Bahrain is a crowded place and airplanes aren't allowed to remain there for long periods...waiting for the next night. In fact, sometimes when airplanes arrive, they're offloaded, then flown to another airport to make room, until the next load of cargo is ready to depart. When, then, depends on a number of factors...including arrivals scheduled at other locations, the airport congestion, and delays that can range from getting fuel to packaging the cargo.

boredcounter
29th Sep 2010, 08:59
zerozero and Guppy sum it up a treat, especially on 'short haul'.

There is a lot of money, and I mean a lot to be made by offering collection as late as close of the working day, with delivery assured by 0900 or 1200 the next day in another Country. If you take the EU for example, this can only be done by flying at night.

Phone any of the 'Big' Express Freight companies in Europe and get a quote to send a document, say a 12 page contract, from say, London to anywhere in Europe about 1000 miles away. Ask for a collection at 1600 Local Time and delivery by 1200 Local Time, assured. The price will, I am sure, blow you away.

If overnight is not possible, get the fastest delivery available quote, it will still blow your mind. It will go as far as possible 'overnight' by air.

Now.......... When zero sends you those chocolates, it can't be done overnight, or can it?

It's all about 'very' high yield, 'very' urgent documents, the rest is additional income. It's all about local time collection and delivery.

Bored

crazy_bird
29th Sep 2010, 13:15
hmm..makes sense

crazy_bird
3rd Oct 2010, 15:27
why is it a general trend that cargo pilots are paid less as compared to pilot who fly PAX??
what is the reason for this discrimination?

zerozero
3rd Oct 2010, 17:36
There are exceptions (FedEx, UPS, etc).

But, as you say, "generally" it's a matter of prestige or status.

Although the job is almost the same, the payload of a passenger flight might be considered priceless while the load of plastic junk out of Hong Kong is, well, junk. So it's widely considered (but highly debatable) that the passenger pilot bears greater responsibility.

But I've never met one pilot who flew more or less professionally depending on what or who (if anything!) was strapped down behind him.

:8

despegue
4th Oct 2010, 06:45
Crazy Bird,

Where did you get the idea that Cargo pilots are paid less than their pax flying collegues. It is very often quite the contrary actually when comparing same aircraft types.

crazy_bird
4th Oct 2010, 07:12
hmm..i didnt know that..
cool :ok:

seasexsun
4th Oct 2010, 08:33
When you fly long haul , most of the time you fly at night as well.