PDA

View Full Version : Cirrus stolen in Melbourne

VH-XXX
27th Sep 2010, 12:16
Just lifted this from news.com.au

Victorian Police and Civil Aviation Authorities are investigating after a light aircraft was stolen today from a regional airfield to the South East of Melbourne CBD. The 24 year old man from North Dandenong was arrested without incident after he was talked down by Police with the aid of a flying instructor. Acting on a tip-off Police the Victorian Police Tactical Response Group responded only to arrive at the airfield as the aircraft was becoming airborne. Sgt. Shannon of the TRG unit advised News reporters that the 24 year old at the controls of the aircraft “had limited flying experience on a coputer based flight simulator.” A spokesperson from the Civil Aviation Authority and Department of Transport were unavailable for comment. The Department of Transportation and Regional Services are responsible for the security of aircraft at at both primary and regional airports.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/r1.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/r3.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/r2.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/r4.jpg

Another Number
27th Sep 2010, 12:29
Better suited to April 1st ...

Peter Fanelli
27th Sep 2010, 12:29
Hope he was wearing his ASIC or he'll really be in trouble!

muddergoose
27th Sep 2010, 12:59
Not only breaches of Aviation Regulations but also people impersonating police.

Can I presume XXX was flying the cirrus?

VH-XXX
27th Sep 2010, 13:40
Too long to wait till April 1st.

The idea was that some of you may have actually gone along with it for the benefit of others!!!

I wasn't driving the Cirrus but I sometimes do drive that one.

They didn't seem to think the piston engine sounded good enough so seem to have dubbed a turbine over the top.

You can watch it at ten . com . au, Rush, latest episode, part 5 of 6 and part 6 of 6 (it spans both parts).

Ex FSO GRIFFO
27th Sep 2010, 14:53
YEP!!

NOT one ASIC in sight......:eek::ugh::=

Not 'authentic' enuf.....:=

Jack Ranga
27th Sep 2010, 23:32
Right, I've had enough of this, it's about time flight sim was banned. It's dangerous in the wrong hands :ugh:

Andy_RR
28th Sep 2010, 00:43
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/r1.jpg

Nice piece of product placement....

VH-XXX
28th Sep 2010, 01:30
Nice piece of product placement....

It was a brief flash past in the show. I don't think everyone will be running in to learn to fly because they saw this on Rush :)

I can see the survey now.....

Where did you find out about Tooradin Flying School?

- Referred by friend
- Industry magazines
- Google / Search engine
- Drive-by
- Saw it on "Rush"

CitationJet
28th Sep 2010, 01:38
I am not sure why anyone would want their aeroplane used for this sort of nonsense.

Just the sort of thing GA doesn't need on trash TV at the very time Gillard is talking about increasing avaition security and making aviation harder to get into.

havick
28th Sep 2010, 02:15
In a word.... homo, just like the television show..

VH-XXX
28th Sep 2010, 06:26
I wouldn't read too much into it with this ASIC talk and aviation security. It's a TV show after all, for entertainment purposes. If it was a stolen boat, there would be a similar thread running on a boating forum somewhere.

CirrusSR22T
28th Sep 2010, 07:10
Didn't notice there was an aircraft on the show, was too busy looking at Jolene Anderson :E

rioncentu
28th Sep 2010, 09:31
Yeah I saw the show. Nice turbine Cirrus:)

And the idiot didn't know which seat to sit in.:=

Biggles78
28th Sep 2010, 16:44
I was shocked when the "pilot" was told he only had 2 minutes of fuel left. Guess the 45 minute reserve is not needed any more!! := Paused the recording on the glass display and according to that it had only used 1.7 gals of fuel and had 3:58hrs remaining. Wonder where they got the 2 minutes from. :rolleyes: This was as bad at the B767 landing at Moorabbin. :ugh:

Swift6
28th Sep 2010, 22:21
Loving the second photo down - that guy in the pilots uniform looks like he's running after the Cirrus thats just got airborne!

rioncentu
28th Sep 2010, 22:25
But even the "pilot" spoke rubbish.

So they must have had an actor play a pilot. You'd reckon there'd be enough real pilots around to want to have their 2 minutes of fame.

Apologies if it was a real pilot forced to speak rubbish !!

Stikybeke
28th Sep 2010, 22:47
Nice work XXX,

One of your better ones this one....I notice the cops have nothing in their holsters...but then again that's the Victorian Gov't for you I suppose what with actors equity and union strikes and all that....

As for my survey answer, I first heard of Tooradin Flying School on Pprune..(lol!)

:D
Stiky

VH-XXX
29th Sep 2010, 00:42
One of your better ones this one....

Thanks for that. That really means a lot to me :rolleyes:

But even the "pilot" spoke rubbish.

That's "Licenced" pilot Rioncentu!

Loving the second photo down - that guy in the pilots uniform looks like he's running after the Cirrus thats just got airborne!

Yep! It's the classic "stolen aircraft routine" - been used at airshows for years! There's always a small percentage of crowd members that think that the aircraft really was stolen. I was "head" Aircraft Marshall at Bairnsdale back in 2000 when we ran that routine. I was to run after the Pitts and then mount my petrol powered scooter to chase him down the taxiway. He then takes off on the taxiway and does some crazy stuff. Funny thing about that it that more than 3 years after that airshow, some kid said to me "How about that guy that stole that plane at the Bairnsdale Airshow, what was he thinking?"

At least it fooled someone!

Another good variation of the stolen aircraft routine is to put a passenger in a Pitts (or similar) with a parachute. When the aircraft is stolen and climbs up to a few thousand, it turns upside town and the passenger jumps out, then the aircraft descends out of control and recovers at the last moment. Heart-stopping that one, as the crowd doesn't know there is a passenger in the aircraft as long as he kept his head down.

j3pipercub
29th Sep 2010, 02:13
Sorry XXX, that was abhorrent, I want the 10 minutes and the data that I used to download it back. I will admit that I hate that show though.

j3

YPJT
29th Sep 2010, 06:13
Hope he was wearing his ASIC or he'll really be in trouble!.
Tooradin is not a security controlled airport (ie no RPT) so no ASIC required.:p

However I'm sure OTS will soon change that if people feel strongly enough about it.

I know most aircraft locks can be fairly easily breached but it will interesting to know what type of lock was on the Cirrus or whether one was used at all.

VH-XXX
29th Sep 2010, 06:33
I know most aircraft locks can be fairly easily breached but it will interesting to know what type of lock was on the Cirrus or whether one was used at all.

Mate, I'm REALLY hoping that you didn't think that an aircraft actually did get stolen in this instance!

It's a TV show.

If you did think that, then great, someone did fall for my original post!

RoxyChickie - because it's amusing. and a break from the usual stuff and it hasn't gone to Jetblast.

YPJT
29th Sep 2010, 07:02
:O:O:O oops

Counter-rotation
29th Sep 2010, 15:26
because it's amusing. and a break from the usual stuff and it hasn't gone to Jetblast :ok:

Well done Ppruners, without question, this thread is infinitely more entertaining than the show featured in it!!

Australian TV drama - give me reality TV any day... Ah, on second thought :{

CR