PDA

View Full Version : BMI / American Airlines checked luggage

globespanfan
26th Sep 2010, 22:27
hi guys

new to this forum so accept my aplogise if this is in the wrong place

just wondering if any one can help me with a question regarding checked baggage on a bmi/american airlines flight?

i am booked on (bmi) flight BD1

leaving glasgow airport at 06:30
and arriving in
london heathrow at 07:50

we have a connection on to miami before landing in orlando (on the same day)
with american airlines.
we purchased the ticket through opodo.co.uk and its under the 1 itinerary
so we were wondering if our luggage (at glasgow airport) will be checked through to orlando ?

thanks for taking the time to read/ answer this ;)

tb10er
27th Sep 2010, 05:53
As long as it was purchased as 1 journey, then your bags are checked through to your final destination.

In addition, if for any reason BMI cause you to miss your conenction at LHR, then they (and/or AA) are responsible for getting you to MIA. If of course, you miss the flight at GLA because you slept in, etc. then it is down to you.

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Sep 2010, 08:55
You will of course have to retrieve your bags at your first entry airport in the USA.
Once through customs you hand them back again at a drop off point, normally just outside of the customs hall.

TightSlot
27th Sep 2010, 09:18
I'm curious about this, with apologies. The GLA-MCO booking is cross alliance (Star Alliance connecting to One World) which, while certainly not unheard of, is different and will involve a terminal change at LHR.

All the flights may be on the same itinerary (i.e. piece of paper produced by an agent) but it may be worth checking that the fare is actually a GLA-MCO fare, and not several component pieces bolted together to appear to be one?

ExXB
27th Sep 2010, 09:48
Tight slot

Provided the itinerary is on a single 'ticket' the bags should be through-checked regardless of the fare components.

Under MITA the participants agree who is responsible for dealing with the passenger in the event of a problem, and how the liability is shared. This requires that the passenger is holding one ticket (one contract).

With two or more tickets the liability issues are different and some airlines, including BD, will refuse to through-check bags on journeys involving more than one ticket.

Globespanfan

What you describe appears to be a single ticket but you might want to double check. Does your confirmation include the e-ticket number(s)? If you have only one number beginning with 236 then that is a BD ticket. It could be an American Airlines ticket - beginning with 001. If you have two ticket numbers with 236 and 001 prefixes then it is doubtful in BD will check the bag through.

If you don't have the e-ticket number, check with Opodo and ask them if you have one or more tickets.

When you check in have a look at the airport code on the baggage tag that the agent attaches. It should be MCO. If it is LHR, then your bag is only going to Heathrow.

globespanfan
27th Sep 2010, 16:06
first off just wanted to say thank you all for your replies they are very much appreciated
thanks for putting my mind at ease , as this is my first time flying with a few connections
and numerous emails to BMI have gone unanswered:ugh:

edit*****

just got this from bmi

We have the following response from our res team

Baggage will be checked through, but passengers will have to clear with customs on arrival in MIA.

Hope that helps.
Kind regards
Bmi social team

confused does this mean that when we get off the plane at miami, we will have exit the secure zone, and then walk back to the check in desk (as if we were checking in for the first time?)

ExXB
27th Sep 2010, 16:30
On entering the USA you must clear your luggage (checked and carry-on) through US Customs at the first point of arrival. In your case this is MIA.

After clearing immigration you need to pick up your checked luggage from the carousel and then proceed towards the exit. You give the white customs form to the officer who will either smile, and waive you through - or frown and send you to secondary where they will search your bags.

In both cases there should be AA's luggage counter immediately BEFORE or AFTER (I don't know MIA that well) you exit the room (as mentioned by Mr. @ Spotty M above). It should be clearly marked for connections. Queue up and hand your luggage to them. You will need to shown them your boarding card (or your e-ticket).

Then head for the security, and the connecting flight's gate.