PDA

View Full Version : How can I search for jobs in Boston MA?

TSIO540
26th Sep 2010, 02:21
Hi Folks,

Can anyone guide me on how to search online for pilot jobs in the Boston area please?

I am an Australian pilot and I am enrolling to study for a Masters degree at MIT with a view to doing a PhD in Aeronautics.

What I would like to do is keep flying casually or part time to maintain currency for the 2-4 years it will take for this program.

I am interested primarily in flying a turboprop but I would consider instructing in small aircraft again

For reference: I am a Metroliner captain with 3000TT, 1200 Multi-Engine, 600 Turbine, 500 Night, Grade One Instructor Rating (Aeroplane), 1400 Instructor hours, a Multi-Engine Command Instrument Rating with 5 renewals, and a Bachelor degree. I have SA227 Metro 3 & 23, and also B200 command experience.

TSIO540

TSIO540
26th Sep 2010, 02:58
I do not have any visas as yet as this project is still in the planning stage. I am working towards studying in the US not before 2011 but most likely 2012.

I intend to enter the US on a full-time student visa but I am planning to talk to the embassy about the possibility of a limited work permit. I understand that there is a permit that would allow some work but I don't know enough about it yet.

My wife intends to enter the US with an E-3 (for Australian Citizens only) visa as she is a degree qualified Criminologist.

My main concern so far is, what kind of work would be possible in the area to help me stay current and perhaps cover some of the cost of tuition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

TSIO540

TSIO540
26th Sep 2010, 03:19
Thanks SoCal App,

I was considering going as a spouse to my wife's E-3 visa. I guess I should check with the embassy if that will allow me to study. I am intending to come to the US with enough $$ to cover all tuition but have my wife earn enough to cover living expenses while we're there.

Do you think I'll need security clearance to convert my ATPL from ICAO to FAA?

Any tips on how to search for types of jobs likely to be available in a year or so (assuming I can get a visa that will allow it..)?

DownIn3Green
4th Oct 2010, 01:03
I don't know if they're still in business, but Wiggins Air out of Waterville, Maine flew C-208's...Hope it helps...they used to fly to BOS on a regular basis, cargo, but might fit uour schedule re:Study, school, wife, etc...

PCLCREW
6th Oct 2010, 20:11
Cape Air is what I would look at...
Otherwise its the US regionals and I dont think anyone has a BOS base anymore.
With your time you are jumping into an already totally flooded market... Sorry mate but its grim over here.

guiones
7th Oct 2010, 03:53
Yes, you need TSA waiver or ANY aviation training as a foreigner.

G

George Semel
8th Oct 2010, 23:45
Wiggins, has Beech 99's and Cessna 208's, they have openings from time to time. Then there is The Cape, pretty much 402's Cape Air, Nantucket Airways. You would need a work permit, but if you are going to be here for 4 years, I would think you would also need a job to earn some living expense money. Right now, its is some of the worst conditions I seen for employment ever in the US, and I saw the 1970's when I entered the job market, those were tough years, and its a tough time in the US right now. but a lot can happen between now and 2012.

sounddoc
23rd Mar 2011, 02:42
AFAIK, the TSA only needs contact (i.e. a hefty arbitrary payment and fingerprints (and hassle)) only for a private, instrument, multi engine trainings, and a type rating for anything heavier than 12,500lbs. everything else (commercial, MEI, CFI...) can be done by walking into an FBO with a fat wad of $$. As always though, check first. You can contact them by the number on their site, https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/afsp2/?acct_type=c&section=WN

Don't call during lunch hours, they're usually out :ugh:

Speaking from experience as I'm a green carded brit who's done his private, instrument, commercial and currently CFI in the boston area...so leave a cape air job for me - i've had my eyes on them for a while now!

and good luck!

Brian Cohen
12th May 2011, 20:00
Hey guys I have the same question on DC area .... any flying job available? thanks

Tinstaafl
13th May 2011, 15:17
Soundoc, not quite correct: The TSA check is required for the 1st issue of a pilot licence, not PPL only. Doesn't matter whether it's PPL, CPL or ATPL, as well as multi, instrument & type ratings.