PDA

View Full Version : CFI

JDev
26th Sep 2010, 01:21
Any flight school in the US offering jobs to CFI from other countries?

JDev
26th Sep 2010, 02:46
well, wouldn't ask if i knew :)

JDev
26th Sep 2010, 05:30
the A from the CA was missed out...
would be in the States from some time but dont have a working Visa...
havent checked with schools yet (which i would in the coming days)...so thought should check if i can get some help here form all the experts and save some time trying to look around...

S-Works
26th Sep 2010, 09:03
Without a visa you will need to be sponsored and you have diddly squat chance of that happening in the current climate.

boofhead
1st Oct 2010, 15:57
Even though the US is ICAO, they do not recognise "foreign" ratings. They do recognise experience and would allow you to count your instructor time toward any required experience for a CFI rating, but all ratings (B737, Instrument etc) must be earned by a full written and practical test. If you have an ATP you can self-authorise for tests otherwise you will need an appropriately rated CFI to sign a recommendation.
eg you are flying a B747 with a UK ATPL in airline service and want to get a US ATP with similar qualifications. You can get the ATP after you do the written test, have a medical, and pass the practical test. You can do it on a Seminole or similar. If you want a single engine ATP you will need to do it again on a Cessna 172 or similar. You will need to do an approved ground school and pass the B747 written, then do a type rating flight or sim test for the practical, before they will add the 747 rating, no matter how many hours you have on that type. You will need the necessary recent experience to use your certificate (not a licence), for instrument, passenger carrying, night etc and in airline service the required sign off from the company check airmen.
However, apart from the annoyance of your "foreign" qualifications not being recognised, as ICAO requires (and the US certificates and ratings are recognised by other ICAO countries, which makes it annoying when the US does not follow the rules) the process is pretty simple and vastly better than trying to get, for example, an Australian licence. A few thousand dollars and 4 days can get you the entire ATP, written and flight tests passed.
In my case I had a lot of military instructor time outside of the US, but I was allowed to count that toward the requirements to be a Chief Flight Instructor for a Part 141 school. However my time spent in airline service outside the US did not make me qualified to fly or supervise the Part 135 operations in the same school since I had never operated under Part 135 or Part 121. There is a section in the rules that allow for equivalent qualifications to be used to satisfy the requirement, but the operator has to apply for that and if they already have someone for the job they will not do so because it becomes more complicated and most operators try to keep a low profile with the feds.
If you have experience instructing, especially if you have instrument or multi engine instructing, you can jump to the top of the pile and will be in demand although it is not going to let you pay the rent or keep food on the table. You will need to do three separate instructor check rides, for basic CFI, Instrument CFI (CFII) and multi engine CFI (CFIME). Most instructors only have the basic CFI so you will have a leg up if you have all three. You only need the Green Card if you intend to actually work, although you have to go through a horrific approval process to train for an initial US certificate, and for an instrument rating. See below:
Applicability

You must participate in the Alien Flight Student Program and undergo a security threat assessment if:

* You are an alien; and
* You are seeking flight training inside or outside the United States for U.S. airman certificate under 14 CFR. This rule applies to flight training that you could use toward a recreational, sport, or private pilot certificate; multiengine or instrument rating; or any initial U.S. airman certificate issued by FAA.
* NOTE: Information on this page applies only to aliens training in aircraft with a maximum certificate takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds or less. If you are training in an aircraft exceeding this weight read, TSA Background Checks for Training in Aircraft over 12,500.

Exemptions

As an alien, you are NOT required to participate in the AFSP and undergo a security threat assessment if:

* You are seeking recurrent training, such as a flight review, instrument proficiency check, or flight training listed under 14 CFR 61.31; or
* You are seeking ground training; or
* You are participating in a discovery or demonstration flight for marketing purposes; or
* The Department of Defense or U.S. Coast Guard (or a contractor with either) is providing your training.
* You have been endorsed by the U.S. Department of Defense. Click here for instructions if you have been endorsed by DoD.
* These exemptions are further clarified at www.flightschoolcandidates.gov.

boofhead
1st Oct 2010, 18:21
Just got more info on the TSA garbage:
TSA INTERPRETS 'RECURRENT TRAINING' RULES
The Transportation Security Administration issued an interpretation ( http://www.aopa.org/epilot/redir.cfm?adid=19242 ) on Sept. 13 excluding 11 "training events" from the definition of recurrent training under the Alien Flight Student Program ( http://www.aopa.org/epilot/redir.cfm?adid=19243 ). The announcement applies to foreign students training in aircraft weighing more than 12,500 pounds. The interpretation, effective Oct. 1, clarifies that training events viewed as checks or tests will not require security threat assessment applications under the program. Read more >> ( AOPA Online: TSA interprets ‘recurrent training’ rules (http://www.aopa.org/training/articles/2010/100915tsa.html?WT.mc_id=101001eflight&WT.mc_sect=ftn) )
I don't know exactly what this means, but you could call for clarification.
It might mean that they would let you go ahead with the flight test, provided you do not need training to be qualified for the test (on the basis of a foreign qualification already held). However most check rides require 3 hours of training in the previous 60 days and that could be a stumbling block. The instructor who does the training is jointly responsible for you, and must sign a certificate that you can do the training without TSA approval, keeping a copy of that for 5 years.
It seems to me that the TSA has shut down all ad hoc training, since to get clearance you have to apply before leaving your home country and come to the US on a special training visa, and responsible to the training school for the time you are here. Only people dealing with a school have any chance of getting through the process and it costs money and time to meet the requirements. I don't think you can even apply if you are already here on another type of visa, and the rule even applies to training carried out in a foreign country, although the visa would probably not be required if you don't travel here. Although the normal requirement applies only to certain certificates, such as Private, Instrument, Multi Engine, and leaves the others clear of any TSA involvement, there is a catch-all that requires TSA approval for the first US certificate you apply for and that would include the Commercial and Instrument ticket, even though those are not included in the basic list.
Of course you must realise that by definition a commercial pilot who holds an instructor rating is a terrorist and must be controlled lest he commit mayhem in his Cessna 150, which is capable of carrying the most frightening weapons of mass destruction ever devised by the mind of man, so instead of railing against what seems to be unneccessary stupidity and obstructionism, be grateful that they are doing their job to protect you against the dangers of a general aviation pilot!
I was fortunate that I did all I needed prior to these TSA rules. I would do a little on every visit to the US, and managed over a period of years to get the quals I needed. I would not be able to do that now.

mavisbacon
6th Oct 2010, 03:58
Any schools in the US looking for JAA instructors ?