PDA

View Full Version : One stop modular - how important?

Okavango
25th Sep 2010, 13:16
I would like to keep working in my current job while I train for the CPL and build general experience. I will only consider leaving my current career and full time IR training if/when the recruitment situation improves. I would need to go to a local school for the CPL and then probably a different one later for the IR. How important is it to employers like Flybe to do both CPL and IR with the same school as they seem to suggest? Would a compromise be to go to one the schools on their approved list for the IR such that they could at least be given some reliable understanding of my abilities?

Sporky
25th Sep 2010, 13:26
Hi Okavango,

I do believe that most companies look for the CPL and IR at the same school. Several of the applications when applying for jobs do ask that both have been completed at the same school. I am not too sure that whether this is universal practice, however, I do believe that so you do not limit a potential job both the CPL/IR should be completed at the same school.

Good decision on continue working, I know several people who did the same thing. Working on CPL then going back to work then going to do IR. Taking 6 weeks off work for the latter stage.

Good luck!

Okavango
6th Oct 2010, 13:44
Going to one FTO seems to be the general advice though if so I'm amazed at the number of places offering training (eg just to CPL). Are many people that go through such schools ever successful at landing a job?

Leezyjet
6th Oct 2010, 13:55
Flybe are the only operator I've ever seen that specifically request that CPL/IR is done at the same place.

Of course people that do modules at different schools still get jobs otherwise word would rapidly spread and nobody would use the smaller schools and they would go out of business.

:hmm:

go around flaps15
6th Oct 2010, 15:44
And FLYBE do have links/ relations with PAT in Bournemouth. Although I did not do my training at PAT so I can't comment on training facilities etc.

MIKECR
6th Oct 2010, 21:08
I would also consider the financial aspect of doing CPL and IR at the same FTO. You are far more likely to get a cheaper 'package' by doing both courses at the one establishment. Some will even throw in a dirt cheap MCC course as part of the deal. In the current climate, dont be shy when it comes to haggling a little for price! As for using multiple FTO's....never did me any harm:).

Wee Weasley Welshman
7th Oct 2010, 11:01
Go to the same place. Same instructor. Same airfield. Same routes. MASSIVE training continuity bonus. And yes. As a bigger customer you get bigger attention.

Oh, and PAT have been cheap but brilliant for the last 12 years now since they did my Multi/IR..