PDA

View Full Version : Another hardware prob

tony draper
24th Sep 2010, 17:01
Just bought a new desktop case,transferred motherboard HD Dvd drives graphic card ok
stuck the various leads from the front panel on the appropriat pins,on the Motherboard press the power switch, the machine boots,ie the psu fan comes on as does the CPU fan but then it shuts down immediately,tried a momentary short direct across the reset pins and the machine runs and boots just fine,but not from the reset button or power switch itself,the power button and reset button are just momentary make micro switches int they?,that's what they appear to be.
Anybody got any ideas

rgbrock1
24th Sep 2010, 17:41
Reseat all the connections.

tony draper
24th Sep 2010, 18:42
Done so,it is working now,ie booting from the power switch but it takes three or four presses before boots for real.:uhoh:
Will just plod on,thought it might be summat in to power section of bios but that's ok.
Not the power supply either tried a spare psu and that does exactly the same.
Could it be the bios battery flat?
Tiz a puzzle
:confused:

Saab Dastard
24th Sep 2010, 19:28
stuck the various leads from the front panel on the appropriat pins,on the Motherboard

Or possibly not!

You might want to check those leads again. Very easy to get them @rseways.

SD

vulcanised
24th Sep 2010, 19:46
Also make sure there is nothing on the underside of the mobo touching any part of the case. (it does happen)

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 20:12
Yeah deff check the mobo isn't earthing. From experience of building systems, I find it pays to check, check & check again that all connections are in the right pins & slots. It's the one part of life where I religiously refer to the destructions.:)

tony draper
24th Sep 2010, 20:36
Checked the leads very carefully, I always try the kit out with the motherboard on the bench before I stick it in the case,anyway it seems to have cured itself,it's boot first time every time now,I noticed the problem occurs if I unplug the 240 mains lead from the power supply,once I got it to boot by repeated presses on the power button,it boots up first time after that,not the mains lead,tried a couple,tiz a mystery,I would have suspected the power supply,but the spare acted exactly the same.
Anyway seems to be ok now
Thanks for the help chaps.
:)

Mike-Bracknell
24th Sep 2010, 22:43
What are the wattages of the respective PSUs? You might find you're underpowered for the kit you're trying to drive from the PSU, which is why the replacement PSU did exactly the same.

tony draper
25th Sep 2010, 08:58
500 watt in the new case 450 in the tower it was running in 450 in the spare plenty of omph,booted first time time morning resets ok,whatever it was seems to have cured itself.
:)