PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish Windows did or life's little irritations...

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 11:21
Apart from work properly that is...:)

I like Windows, I always have. By & large Windows & I get along just fine, but like most people, i get driven to distraction by stuff it does, that it shouldn't & things it doesn't do that it really ought. Here's my first annoyance: I like to use Windows to send & receive faxes. My business is anachronistic in that here we are in 2010 & for my game, the prime method of communication is by fax. Helpfully, Windows included a fax utility for me - good on ya Bill.

But here's the thing. People sending faxes to me, usually use a fax machine. Sometimes, those faxes are put in the tray upside down - no problem if the other end is also a fax machine. However, with Windows 7, if a fax arrives from Australia, there is no way to look at it short of printing it out or turning the monitor upside down - no way to turn the image through 180 degrees.

Tonight, I'll go home, hug my daughter, have a glass of wine & the world will turn. This is not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it's a Windows irritation!

BEagle
24th Sep 2010, 11:41
Can you 'print' it as a .pdf, then rotate that?

I use 'Cute PDF writer' which behaves like a printer, but just produces a .pdf instead of a paper print out - very handy!

green granite
24th Sep 2010, 11:48
In windows 7 there is a program called 'SnippingTool', (C:\Windows\System32) pin it to the task bar and use it to copy the fax as an image, paste into a picture viewing program and flip it.

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 11:49
For some reason, converting tif to pdf degrades the image terribly. I mean I could download this fax utility or that image viewer, but I'm just highlighting the little anoyances in Windows that you would think they really could have thought about prior to hitting the button.

Bushfiva
24th Sep 2010, 11:53
What does ctrl-K and ctrl-L do while viewing the fax?

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 12:16
Absolutely nothing!

airborne_artist
24th Sep 2010, 12:19
Ctrl + Alt + the down arrow will invert the screen in Windows XP onwards. To revert press Crtl + Alt + up arrow.

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 12:25
Not for me it won't!

airborne_artist
24th Sep 2010, 12:27
Are you pressing all three keys together?

How to Rotate the Screen in Windows XP | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_5146797_rotate-screen-windows-xp.html)

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 12:30
Be careful what you advise AA!

Turn your Computer Screen Upside Down (http://www.labnol.org/software/turn-computer-screen-upside-down/6097/)

BOAC
24th Sep 2010, 12:52
PP - if I open a fax in M$ Fax it opens in Window Picture and Fax viewer (?default?) which enables me to rotate the image. XPPro SP3

With nothing better to do on a wet day I played with the ATI 'Catalyst' control panel I have and inverted the display. Never again! Trying to get the mouse into the right place to restore the picture..................it's a good job this was not part of the pilot aptitude tests at Biggin Hill:)

Parapunter
24th Sep 2010, 13:03
Airborne's trick only works on Intel chip sets - mine is ATI. I also have catalyst control centre - as I would & I can't see any option to invert.

I actually wasn't asking fo rhelp - I was hoping that people would come up with the bits of windows that annoy!

airborne_artist
24th Sep 2010, 13:08
Could you associate the fax file type with another viewer like Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/) ?

BOAC
24th Sep 2010, 13:56
I also have catalyst control centre - as I would & I can't see any option to invert. - I don't recommend looking for it either:sad:. Can you not invert the fax as I said?

Mornington Crescent
24th Sep 2010, 14:30
You could try setting the fax viewer to save a copy.

Tools - Fax settings - More options - When fax is received -
tick save a copy and put a folder on your desktop "Fax" or some such.

You should be able to open the received faxes from there with windows photo viewer which will enable rotation.

BOAC
24th Sep 2010, 17:01
...................KO

Loose rivets
24th Sep 2010, 20:47
I know I've got an odd way with words, but I can read upside down nearly as well as right way up. I'm not that unusual, surely?