PDA

View Full Version : IPAD OS

fred737
24th Sep 2010, 10:52
I understand that the IPAD Operating System is different from the APPLE Computer OS. The Apple Computer apparently has a PC Emulator built in allowing one to use PC software on it?

I am told that the IPAD OS has no such emulator.

I would like an IPAD but there are a number of programs (includng Navbox ProPlan) that I want on it if it is going to be an EFB and a replacement for my laptop.

So question is does anybody know if Apple are going to produce PC Emulator software for the IPAD?

Thanks

mixture
24th Sep 2010, 11:02
fred737,

So question is does anybody know if Apple are going to produce PC Emulator software for the IPAD?

Stand back and think about what you are asking for a minute.

Let's put the whole Apple vs PC thing to one side.....

Would you expect a PC Emulator on your Blackberry ? Would you expect a PC emulator on your xyz smartphone ? Would you expect a PC emulator on your iPhone ?

Do you know how much memory and processing power is needed to properly emlulate a PC ? Think about what that would do to your battery life ?

You need to remember that the iPad processor was heavily customised by Apple in order to optimise it for use in the iPad (Apple A4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4)) .... so it's not your generic "jack of all trades, master of none" Intel / AMD off the shelf job.

Think about why Microsoft only got as far as WindowsCE / Windows Mobile for their smartphones.

Believe me, I too would LOVE to see an iPad PC emulator, but I know that realistically, it ain't going to happen any time soon.

Your best bet is a remote access tool.... will update shortly with a few names.

Sorry to sound so negative.

UPDATE :
Teamviewer HD / Timeviewer Pro HD
Wyse PocketCloud

UPDATE (2) :

See also Top 10 remote desktop applications | IT PRO (http://www.itpro.co.uk/625588/top-10-remote-desktop-applications)

UPDATE(3) :

The PPRuNe link system seems to be broken at the time of writing, so :

Link 1 above =
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4
Link 2 above =
www.itpro.co.uk/625588/top-10-remote-desktop-applications

MacBoero
24th Sep 2010, 12:21
Actually there isn't... What Mac OS X comes with is a utility called BootCamp, that allows you to create a separate partition on the hard drive, into which Windows can be installed the same way you would install it on a PC. After that you can boot into Mac OS X or Windows, but not both at the same time.

Emulation is not included built in, but is freely available. I use Oracle VirtualBox, which allows me to run Windows in a window on top of Mac OS X, and best of all it is free! Paid for "hypervisors" like VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop offer more features, improved performance and better integration into the Mac OS, but for most people the extra cost is not worthwhile, in my opinion.

There is, however, and emulator built into Mac OS X called Rosetta, which is used by Mac OS X to run legacy operating system components and any applications which are compiled only to run on PowerPC based Macs. This is used invisibly by the operating system, and certainly not what you are enquiring about.

mixture
24th Sep 2010, 14:59
There is, however, and emulator built into Mac OS X called Rosetta, which is used by Mac OS X to run legacy operating system components and any applications which are compiled only to run on PowerPC based Macs. This is used invisibly by the operating system, and certainly not what you are enquiring about.

Being phased out.... became optional install starting with 10.6.

call100
24th Sep 2010, 22:12
The answer, as far as I can tell, is no..:)

fred737
26th Sep 2010, 08:58
Thanks all. It looks as if I will have to forget about the IPAD and look at something that is more compatible with PCs.