PDA

View Full Version : BA125 Over-run at Bahrain on 23rd Sept?

Porrohman
23rd Sep 2010, 21:11
I received a text from a relative who was on BA125 (B744) from LHR to Bahrain today saying that it over-ran the runway on landing. Does anyone have more information?

(BA website says it arrived 20 minutes late at 19:36 local.)

Timothy Claypole
23rd Sep 2010, 21:30
Well it's departed to Doha tonight so I doubt it went off the hard stuff. Bahrains a mighty long runway to overrun.

theearl
23rd Sep 2010, 21:32
Doubt it on a "from memory" 4000+ metre long runway.

Standing by to be corrected.

More likely stand blocked as the 74 can only fit on one or 2 stands at BAH and had to wait 20 mins.

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
23rd Sep 2010, 21:34
What did the relative say when you texted them back to ask what happened?

Porrohman
23rd Sep 2010, 21:48
Just that they needed clean underwear.

Overshot runway and skidded was how they described it but as Timothy points out, aircraft continued to Doha so can't have been anything serious.

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
23rd Sep 2010, 22:25
Well, thanks for sharing that. It just seemed a bit odd that you didn't find out any information from the relative before posting it on Rumours & News? These relatives can be a bit prone to exagerate sometimes.

Runway 30R at Bahrain is 13,000ft long. You could could almost rely on friction alone to stop in that length. 30L is 8301ft long but its overrun is simply taxiway "A" which has a combined length longer than 30R. At the moment it is out of service in any event due to work in progress.

Porrohman
27th Sep 2010, 11:37
From the description provided by my relatives, it sounds like the aircraft landed long and then braked extremely hard causing objects to fly around the cabin and a degree of panic amongst the passengers. I'm told that it only just managed to stop before the grass to get turned. My relatives are very frequent air travellers and the landing was quite abnormal from their perspective.

Of course, this is just a passenger's account of what happened. Up front, everything may have been well controlled and normal.

Timothy Claypole
27th Sep 2010, 12:26
Given the length of the runway it'd need to have landed over 1600m long before there'd be any requirement to get a bit heavy on the brakes to prevent an overrun. From the information given I suspect it was more a case of using the lead boots to take an earlier runway exit. 1600m would be a hell of a long landing, and landing in the hours of darkness would make it tricky to gauge the aircrafts location from a cabin window.

Groundloop
27th Sep 2010, 14:27
I'm told that it only just managed to stop before the grass to get turned.

They have grass at the end of the runway in Bahrain?!!!:ok:

Doors to Automatic
30th Sep 2010, 08:54
That 1600m would be beyond the end of the touchdown zone, never mind the start of the runway before things got lively on a 4000m runway as the 747 can usually stop within around 1500m of touchdown.

I just can't imagine that happening with BA. A friend of mine who is a 744 FO landed 100m past the touchdown zone on a 4000m runway in SE Asia - it was a dry day and the terminal was at the far end so it was semi-intentional. On return he had a note saying the data had picked it up and not to do it again!