PDA

View Full Version : worldwide pilot shortage

naughty johnny
23rd Sep 2010, 12:24
Pilots Needed for Cockpits as Asia Boom Creates Shortage

Philippine Airlines Inc. canceled flights in July and August and rebooked passengers after losing 27 pilots to higher paying jobs abroad.

Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd., Qantas Airways Ltd. and Emirates Airline are awaiting deliveries of about 400 planes to capitalize on Asia's rising prosperity. Finding pilots is the next job.

Boeing Co. expects the region's carriers to be the biggest buyers of twin-aisle planes as travel grows in China and India, home to a combined 1.1 billion middle-class people. Asia-Pacific airlines will buy about 8,000 planes worth $1.2 trillion over the next 20 years, Airbus SAS said.

Airlines worldwide need an average of 49,900 pilots a year from 2010 to 2030 as fleets expand, yet current training capacity is only 47,025, according to the International Civil Aviation Organization in Montreal. That is sparking bidding wars as Emirates offers tax-free salaries and four-bedroom villas for captains, and AirAsia Bhd., the region's biggest budget airline, gives tuition-free training.

"It's a major issue and will be a big challenge to the industry's growth," said Binit Somaia, a Sydney-based analyst for the Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation. "Even if you can find the pilots, you have to pay top dollar for them because they are so scarce."

China, India

China, the world's fastest-growing major aviation market, likely will account for a third of the region's orders, Airbus, the world's biggest aircraft maker, said in February. Its economy will grow 10.5 percent this year, compared with world growth of 4.6 percent, according to International Monetary Fund estimates.

India, with estimated growth of 9.4 percent this year, may overtake China as the world's fastest-growing major economy as early as 2013, according to Morgan Stanley.

This year, the region's carriers ordered 133 commercial jets with more than 100 seats, or 23 percent of the global total, according to Ascend Worldwide Ltd., a London-based aviation forecaster and data provider.

"There will be a shortage of pilots, and this is going to last for a while because it takes time to produce a good pilot," said Elmer Pena, president of the Airline Pilots Association of the Philippines.

Philippine Airlines Inc. canceled flights in July and August and rebooked passengers after losing 27 pilots to higher paying jobs abroad.

The demand in Asia contrasts with the 4,500 U.S. airline pilots on furlough, according to figures compiled by Kit Darby, a retired United Airlines pilot now running an Atlanta-based consulting firm. That situation shouldn't last long. The global fleet of cargo and large passenger planes will double to nearly 32,000 by 2028 from 15,750 last year, according to Airbus.

The major U.S. airlines are expected to hire more than 40,000 pilots in the next 12 years, said Louis Smith, president of FltOps.com, which provides career counseling services and sponsors job fairs.

World passenger traffic is expected to increase an average of 4.7 percent a year between 2009 and 2028, according to Airbus.

"I believe one can expect serious shortages among the foreign carriers who can't afford to pay what it takes to attract qualified pilots," Smith said.

$28 Billion Expansion

Emirates is the largest Arab airline with more than 200 planes on order. It aims to recruit 250 pilots this year and double that number in 2011, it said in a statement.The company, which needs more than $28 billion through 2017 for expansion, sought to recruit in Houston, Madrid and Singapore.

Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong's biggest carrier, will recruit 1,000 people, including crew, Chief Operating Officer John Slosar said.

PT Garuda Indonesia placed a newspaper advertisement last month seeking pilots "fluent in English and of good character." Jetstar, the budget arm of Qantas, plans to recruit 120 more pilots by next summer.

Singapore Airlines Ltd. and AirAsia, based near Kuala Lumpur, set up their own tuition-free training academies. Singapore Air's flying college graduates about 150 cadet pilots a year, while AirAsia's facility trains as many as 500 a year.
Graduates must stay with the budget carrier for five years, AirAsia Chief Executive Officer Tony Fernandes said.

New flight schools also are opening. CAPA is investing at least $125 million to build an aerospace university in India that can train about 300 pilots a year, Somaia said.

The shortage, and hiring by a new crop of budget carriers, also could push wages higher."There is a misconception that low-cost airlines pay lower salaries," said Tony Davis, chief executive officer of budget carrier Tiger Airways Holdings Ltd., part-owned by Singapore Air "We couldn't do that in a competitive market."

Basic pay for Singapore Air captains flying twin-aisle Boeing 777s or the Airbus A330s begin at S$9,300 ($6,870) a month, excluding allowances, said P. James, president of the Air Line Pilots Association of Singapore. They also earn a productivity allowance of as much as S$3,800 for flying 70 hours a month.

Emirates offers a starting monthly salary of 34,410 dirhams ($9,370) for captains, according to its website. That excludes benefits such as hourly flying and productivity payments.

Its other perks include a tax-free basic salary, profit sharing, villas for captains and free dry cleaning of uniforms, its website said. Those incentives help attract candidates to an increasingly demanding job, said Barry Jackson, president of the Australian and International Pilots Association, who has been a pilot at Qantas since 1987.

"Young people these days prefer to become doctors or lawyers," he said. "This sort of career path is becoming less desirable."

Harlem
23rd Sep 2010, 13:30
Nice, really nice!

Uncle Wiggily
23rd Sep 2010, 13:51
naughty jonny: tasty kool-aid, huh?

Rook
23rd Sep 2010, 14:15
Future pilot supply for the airlines (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/09/21/347437/future-pilot-supply-for-the-airlines.html)

chards
23rd Sep 2010, 15:10
I love the way this subject comes up every few years. The truth is that cx no longer has to even pay housing to attract pilots to HK and no real pay rise in how long? More like the abundance of LCC mean that legacy carriers (for want of a better description) have a new bottom to aim for and no one wants to be a pilot anymore. Awesome news that Air Asia aren't charging you for your training to fly their a/c. :rolleyes: Re read the thread about management and consequences- it sums it up nicely.

flynhigh
23rd Sep 2010, 20:21
Just wait until 2012 when most U.S. Airlines will be retiring around 700 pilot a yr....from what I am hearing some of the guys flying in ME and Asia will return home....:ok:

broadband circuit
23rd Sep 2010, 20:27
Do I hear any bids for raising the retirement age to 68? 70? 72?

editted four speling.

prairiedriver
23rd Sep 2010, 22:20
The whole RA thing might work in Asia but in NA the junior guys are not keen on working to 90 and having their commands delayed. So far the unions have done a pretty good job keeping them at 60. And the human right people have not gotten to far in the arguments in court.

pill
23rd Sep 2010, 23:58
Barry Jaskson's onto it. It's the free dry cleaning of uniforms that keeps me here. Looks like the same flying school sponsored drivel thats been around for as long as flying schools.

Captain Dart
24th Sep 2010, 00:24
Yep, nothing like free drycleaning to retain professional flight crew...but in CX even the 'beer on the bus' after a long day flogging around Asia is now under attack.

It's been 'the war on flight crew' in this company since 1992, with no let-up; a death of a thousand cuts. I am actively discouraging my son from taking up this profession; it's gone to the dogs.

Capt Toss Parker
24th Sep 2010, 02:01
:ugh:This is the exact reason why I needed to take COS 08, so I could give back to the aviation community and offer superior military experience & training for the looming shortage.

The airline would crumble if those young intelligent polite & supportive trainers were left to their own devices. We need to maintain deluded aggression as part of the training model.

"Same Team Same Scream"

Heaven forbid ... we now have the long sleeve brigade trying their luck on the slippery twin, I've already aired my grievances to the crews about the 400 guys ... how dare they think they can come train on my aircraft!

Must dash ... have to get the Melbourne flight so I can go fly my war bird and then tell everyone at the aeroclub how special I am up in the far east.

Anyone up for dinner & Formula 1 ?

pill
24th Sep 2010, 09:27
None of your buds got a ticket to final for you toss? Find that hard to believe.

bugsquash1
27th Sep 2010, 09:21
PT Garuda Indonesia placed a newspaper advertisement last month seeking pilots "fluent in English and of good character."

????????????????????????????????????????????????? :eek:

169west
27th Sep 2010, 10:32
PT Garuda Indonesia placed a newspaper advertisement last month seeking pilots "fluent in English and of good character."

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

... probably but the forgot to update their website!:confused:

Capt Toss Parker
27th Sep 2010, 23:27
Saya orang bodoh terbesar di perusahaan, saya pikir saya yang terbaik tapi aku lakukan adalah melahirkan semua orang untuk mati dengan hikmat menyatakan diri saya dan karakter arogan.

Jika saya dapat meningkatkan kemampuan bahasa saya saya mungkin pergi dan berlaku untuk Garunda Indonesia dan memberikan anda semua orang baik di 777 istirahat.

:E

seventy-seven
28th Sep 2010, 00:52
Heard this same stuff over and over throughout the years since the 70's.Always a looming pilot shortage that never really seems to get there.The airlines always seem to find a way around it.All you need is another terrorist attack and/or financial meltdown or similar then its game off all over again.The job doesnt pay enough, conditions are generally eroding yearly and there are so many more professions that are offering better rewards for a lot less work.Flying the Big Jets aint what it used to be.

Bob Hawke
28th Sep 2010, 04:30
Cap Tosser, benar! Anda adalah yang terbaik.

Apakah Anda benar-benar membutuhkan perjalanan dan mencari makanan dalam suatu negeri yang jauh? Kami sangat senang memiliki kebijaksanaan Anda yang tak terbatas di sini. Saya yakin hal itu akan sia-sia di tempat lain.

Allah mengirim Anda untuk mengajar kita infedels untuk terbang.

FOCX
28th Sep 2010, 05:53
Capt Toss and PM Hawke,

Don't mean to be familiar, but is that what your Indon housemaids cry out at you in the middle of the night?:eek:

Neptunus Rex
28th Sep 2010, 08:53
Strewth, Cap'n Toss, when they said you were bi, I didn't realise it meant bilingual.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/swing.gif

Capt Toss Parker
28th Sep 2010, 14:44
Royalti-Nya Mr Hawke itu adalah senang untuk menerima kata-kata baik tersebut dari individu berpikiran seperti!

Karma adalah hal yang indah, beberapa orang berpikir mereka dapat kotoran pada rekan kerja mereka selama bertahun-tahun dan pergi dengan itu, sayangnya untuk bajingan ini Saya di sini untuk mengungkapkan semua perbuatan salah mereka di sisi pesawat!

Jika Anda memiliki cerita Anda ingin berbagi silahkan mencerahkan saya ...... seperti yang saya akan senang untuk menyebarkan cinta sebaik saya bisa.

Memiliki satu baik!

FOCX ... it's normally me who is crying in the middle of the night after I get "maced" in Kings Park :{

NepRex ... I've been known to take home a "copy watch" from soi cowboy once in a blue moon , when you've been in Asia as long as I have it's nice to change things up once in a while :ok:

Neptunus Rex
28th Sep 2010, 17:13
So, if carrying your kit from an unserviceable Caribou to its replacement is called a 'Humpex,' doing the deed with a 'copy watch' should be a 'Rollex.'

Boom Boom!

gipilot
28th Sep 2010, 23:18
Guys,
When are all of you ever going to wake up to pure facts. There is no such thing as a Pilot shortage, as a matter of fact there's probably too many eager flyers out there that would fly for food. Damnn if there was a shortage do you really think the LCC's would be offering job's by payment of your own type rating. Even Emirates still hasn't got any trouble getting their 500-700 guys(don't believe the Ppruners in the sandbox,i've got real facts)

Even our "great" company is so scared of the pilot shortage that they're offering job's with no Housing at all( go ask recruitment and they'll let you know how many cv's are pouring in daily).

Can't understand the reason these ridiculous articles keep popping up.

Sqwak7700
29th Sep 2010, 04:11
Saying "my company is recruiting plenty of pilots so there is no pilot shortage" is about as ignorant as the people who say "it is cold today, so global warming is a bunch of bullsheet".

There are trends and they are being felt at the extremes. If you work at Emirates or Cathay you are not part of that extreme, so you are not feeling that shortage as much. The only thing you will feel at Cathay and Emirates is experience levels decreasing among your new hires. Nobody disputes that because it is obvious and has already been admitted many times by their own managers and recruiters.

So stop proclaiming your ignorance to the world. For every 100 applicants Cathay gets there are hundreds of extremely unexperienced low-timers getting hired at regional outfits. Some are even having a hard time filling their new-hire classes. Keep in mind that no matter where you work, just about every outfit out there has put measures in place (band-aids really) to ease the crunch (retirement age increases, overworking crews, lowering experience requirements).

fdx
30th Sep 2010, 20:26
Saying "my company is recruiting plenty of pilots so there is no pilot shortage" is about as ignorant as the people who say "it is cold today, so global warming is a bunch of bullsheet".

Could not agree more! and better than going against the nay sayers, I am one that took the leap of leaving the holly grails of CX into the unknown... and it keeps getting better by the day. I could not believe airplanes could fly without CTWO'S+ nor a little lateral thinking as "fuel dumping vs. jettison vs. ..." The present side step to the LCC or longer established outfits reveal that contracts maybe the way to go. Mind you, they are not as stable as an ever lasting, rotating 3 month contract, you will no longer accept a screaming skull in the cockpit...
Best advise I got in the paint brush scheme: you are an airbus/boeing pilot, what is painted on the side is none of your business. Be a pro, demand your share and you will receive what you are worth.
And for those that still remain skeptical, bottom line can be even better than on a 3 month deal. Left side that is. No golden cuffs, it's all green.
Smile! there is no shortage... other than talent.:ok:

Neptunus Rex
1st Oct 2010, 05:10
Smile! there is no shortage... other than talent.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif...and experience!

Bueno Hombre
1st Oct 2010, 06:55
This is the usual and always successful effort to fire up wannabees and training schools and the result is the production of lots more pilots so that when the forecast time comes there will still be excess pilots and pay and conditions even then will continue to head south.

boxjockey
1st Oct 2010, 10:13
I don't know. Post 911 the number of new pilots training in the US has dropped dramatically. Many large flight schools have gone TU, and two more large university aviation programs just announced that they will be closing their doors. You can no longer get financing for flight school from the large education financing companies, like Key. The big turnouts at the puppy mills in the states are a thing of the past. I guess we'll just have to wait and see....

box

Loiter1
1st Oct 2010, 10:49
Geez Toss, ampun deh! gua jadi pegel bacanya. Kaku amat yak. Jangan pake kamus atuh, ngomong nyeplas aja....:ok:

Metro man
1st Oct 2010, 10:53
"Pilots" is too general a term to use, there are plenty out there looking for jobs.

Specifically there are now and will later on be shortages in certain areas:

1. Experienced type rated Captains.
2. F/Os suitable for command upgrade.
3. Instructor/Examiner pilots.
4. Suitable candidates for positions with second and third level airlines after the major ones have taken their pick of the field.
5. Pilots willing to "move here and work for what we are offering".

Top tier airlines will simply lower their requirements to get the numbers in.

1. CPL instead of ATPL
2. Jet time instead of time on type.
3. Turbo prop time instead of jet.
4. 200hrs instead of 2000hrs.
5. Under 40 instead of under 25
6. Glasses acceptable instead of perfect vision.

The trick is to stay ahead of the curve in the planning department and not get caught short.