PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities for part time working?

Okavango
22nd Sep 2010, 15:46
Right - firstly I understand the job market is grim. I was just wondering if/when things have improved is there any potential for part time work in roles other than instructing? I already have a well paid career and appreciate that though flying is my love, the industry turmoil can ruin your life so it would be good to keep a foot in both camps. I could be free 1-2 days per week + any weekends for flying so just wondered if for example air taxi companies or others ever typically require flexible staffing or anyone has experience of having 2 parallel careers? I appreciate some will say just fly for fun but I've already done a lot of that and really I guess I want the challenge of commercial operations.

OZvandriver
23rd Sep 2010, 08:03
I myself started flying part-time and working at a supermarket full-time but it seems like youre in a better position with a decent career going. i know a few people (2 of them in the UK) who instruct or do skydiving ops part-time, the hours are slow to build up but its better than nothing!

Finals19
25th Sep 2010, 10:01
Okavango -

I recently did some flying for a skydive op on weekends. Good way of keeping your hand in, fairly demanding in all wx. You might want to look at that? Min requirements would be >500hrs TT, a good chunk of that PIC and obviously valid IR / IMC.

tom775257
26th Sep 2010, 01:45
Whilst I do not work the pattern you are interested in, last year I worked 10 months on / two months off, the same this year and I have just asked for and been allowed to work 50%, 2 weeks working, 2 off next year (UK airline flying, Airbus 321).

I could choose anything between full time, 2 to 6 months off a year; other options are 75% work or 50% work month by month. Each year I can change my pattern.

The airline would want you to be full time for 2 years before taking any of the options though.

I'm off to be a house husband :ok:

Okavango
7th Oct 2010, 12:00
Thanks for all replies so far. Are there any part time air taxi pilots out there? The way I'm thinking is that these kind of jobs don't pay enough for a permanent situation so there must be a few working parallel careers out there?