PDA

View Full Version : N-registered helicopters in Europe

martvidar
22nd Sep 2010, 09:24
Hi all!

After spending some time in the states doing my helicopter education, and luckily enough been working as a CFI to gain some hours, I'm now back in Europe for my JAA-conversion.

I've been noticing alot of american registered helicopters on different aviation photo sites here in Europe. I wonder why there is so many of them?

The way I understand it you can excersise your FAA priviliges, depending on your license of course, in Europe as long as you fly a N-registered aircraft. Anyone know if this is correct?

Most of the ones I see seem to be on private hands, is there no restrictions on owning a N-registered helicopter in Europe and flying it on a FAA PPL-H?

regards,

Vidar

206 jock
22nd Sep 2010, 19:41
is there no restrictions on owning a N-registered helicopter in Europe and flying it on a FAA PPL-H?

Actually, there's no restriction on flying an N reg on your local licence in the country which granted you the licence. Or gaining a piggyback Faa licence and flying it anywhere in Europe.

But no hire and reward (hence private owners) unless there's a really, really special reason (ie none available of that type in the country on that country's reg).

So I fly my N reg aircraft in the UK and Europe and I've never taken an FAA flight test or written exam. Simples.

FSXPilot
22nd Sep 2010, 19:46
The FAA and EASA really don't like N-Reg helicopters in Europe. There is some talk of them making N-Reg aircraft spend a certain amount of their time in N-Reg land. It won't really affect the plank boys with their jets but is someone really going to fly their helicopter across the pond to spend time in N-Reg land?

omar little
22nd Sep 2010, 22:03
''Or gaining a piggyback Faa licence and flying it anywhere in Europe''.
A piggy back licence (based on a foreign licence) is only valid within the US. You should be current on type on your JAA licence if you do not hold a stand alone FAA licence.

A CFI cannot do a BFR unless the candidate holds a licence.

my 2 cents,

toptobottom
23rd Sep 2010, 08:07
206 jock (how are you BTW?!)

Excuse my naivety here - are you saying that as a private owner, I could legally take off in an N registered heli, clutching my JAR-FCL PPL(H) licence, anywhere in Europe? I recently met an owner of an N-reg Robbie who said he couldn't satisfy the CAA's medical requirements, hence flying the N-reg. What licence does he need?

TTB

206 jock
23rd Sep 2010, 09:38
Ah, the sound of a can of worms being opened!

.... but you had to have completed a FAA BFR and have it recorded as completed in your logbook and signed (by a FAA Certified Instructor) if you are flying on the basis of a FAA 61.75 issued certificate

FAA 61.75 states:

Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.
(a) General. A person who holds a foreign pilot license at the private pilot level or higher that was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may apply for and be issued a U.S. private pilot certificate with the appropriate ratings if the foreign pilot license meets the requirements of this section.
[(b) Certificate issued. A U.S. private pilot certificate issued under this section must specify the person's foreign license number and country of issuance. A person who holds a foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued a U.S. private pilot certificate based on the foreign pilot license without any further showing of proficiency, provided the applicant:
(1) Meets the requirements of this section;
[(2) Holds a foreign pilot license, at the private pilot license level or higher, that does not contain a limitation stating that the applicant has not met all of the standards of ICAO for that license;
(3) Does not hold a U.S. pilot certificate other than a U.S. student pilot certificate;
(4) Holds a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a medical license issued by the country that issued the person's foreign pilot license; and
(5) Is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
(c) Aircraft ratings issued. Aircraft ratings listed on a person's foreign pilot license, in addition to any issued after testing under the provisions of this part, may be placed on that person's U.S. pilot certificate for private pilot privileges only.
(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. pilot certificate provided:
(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument privileges;
(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person applies for the instrument rating, the person passes the appropriate knowledge test; and
(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
(e) Operating privileges and limitations. A person who receives a U.S. private pilot certificate that has been issued under the provisions of this section:
[(1) May act as pilot in command of a civil aircraft of the United States in accordance with the pilot privileges authorized by this part and the limitations placed on that U.S. pilot certificate;
(2) Is limited to the privileges placed on the certificate by the Administrator;
(3) Is subject to the limitations and restrictions on the person's U.S. certificate and foreign pilot license when exercising the privileges of that U.S. pilot certificate in an aircraft of U.S. registry operating within or outside the United States; and
[(f) Limitation on licenses used as the basis for a U.S. certificate. A person may use only one foreign pilot license as a basis for the issuance of a U.S. pilot certificate. The foreign pilot license and medical certification used as a basis for issuing a U.S. pilot certificate under this section must be written in English or accompanied by an English transcription that has been signed by an official or representative of the foreign aviation authority that issued the foreign pilot license.
(g) Limitation placed on a U.S. pilot certificate. A U.S. pilot certificate issued under this section can only be exercised when the pilot has the foreign pilot license, upon which the issuance of the U.S. pilot certificate was based, in the holder's possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

Amdt. 61-124, Eff. 10/20/09

Now, where in there does it say that I need to undertake a BFR (now called simply the Flight Review)? The received wisdom is that it's 'safer' to do a FR, one argument being that the above regs only cover 'issue', but that it might not be 'valid' until the FR is carried out. But the back of my 61.75 certificate states: 'Issued on basis of and Valid only when accompanied by UK PPL no......'

Truth is, no-one knows a definitive answer. If you call the FAA, they give you a range of different answers, usually outlining the above. Happy to be proved wrong though.

TTB (well thanks, should be flying today but it's raining and I'm a fair weather pilot!), in theory I think he 'could' fly his N reg all over Europe on his JAA licence. However, I was ramp checked at EBBR last year and they were all over my licence until they found my 'based on' certificate, at which point they were all smiley and happy. So for the cost of a bit of paperwork and a trip to the States, it's worth getting the FAA61.75 certificate. However, a new cert will be required when the JAA licence runs out. I have a CAA licence which is everlasting.

toptobottom
23rd Sep 2010, 10:05
206 Jock - I'm still confused, so I'll call you in the next day or so. pi$$ing it down here too, but i need to fly now...

TTB

rotarywise
23rd Sep 2010, 11:10
I have a CAA licence which is everlasting.
This is only true until April 2012 when a change in EU law will make the UK 'lifetime' PPL invalid for use in aircraft with an EASA CofA. The UK CAA may permit the licence to be used on aircraft not holding an EASA CofA (e.g. Rotorway) but has no power to permit an exemption to EU law.

It is also proposed that the same law change will introduce at the same time a requirement for pilots resident in the EU, or flying for companies whose main place of business is in the EU, to hold EU licences irrespective of the registration of the aircraft they are flying.

206 jock
23rd Sep 2010, 11:30
I'm still confused.

That'll be because I didn't really answer your second question!

I guess your chap has a full FAA PPL(H), so he can exercise the privilege of being able to fly anywhere in his US-reg helo on his US-licence. But he'll have to undergo a Flight review every two years, but no LPC every year.

500e
23rd Sep 2010, 21:40
I have always thought 2 out of 3 UK licence in UK N reg OK
French\German\whatever licence in N reg in UK No.
French licence in France in N reg OK (change country & licence to suit)
US licence in N reg anywhere ICAO licence OK.
US licence Used in UK with G reg OK
US licence used in UK with F reg No
Am I correct??

Runway101
1st Oct 2010, 06:48
The way I understand it you can excersise your FAA priviliges, depending on your license of course, in Europe as long as you fly a N-registered aircraft. Anyone know if this is correct?

This is correct and you need to be current etc (BFR, Medical, SFAR73 if R22/R44, etc)

Most of the ones I see seem to be on private hands, is there no restrictions on owning a N-registered helicopter in Europe and flying it on a FAA PPL-H?

There is no "restrictions", but if the machine is based overseas (ie. not in the USA) then there are certain regulations. It needs to be registered to a US citizen, or you need to find somebody to open a trustee corporation for you that is controlled by a US citizen (you'll typically hold a share/be a member of that corporation and it costs you a certain amount per year). The helicopter still has to be imported to Europe and you will have to pay the import duties/taxes. You'll need an inexpensive FCC radio operators license too.

The trustee will normally take care of paperwork for you, and ask you to confirm your credit number on a regular basis ;-)

500e
1st Oct 2010, 18:28
Nice people, helpful & always pleased to help

Southern Aircraft Consultancy: professional aircraft registration company (http://www.southernaircraft.co.uk/) :ok:

Runway101
3rd Oct 2010, 03:34
I've used Marc Mosier from EAAC in the past. Very helpful and multilingual too:
EUROPEAN AMERICAN AVIATION CORPORATION (http://www.eaac.us/)