PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft with emergency services surrounding it

flyingkiwi
21st Sep 2010, 13:49
Hi

Just looking out the window and can see an Air Cargo Germany 747 freighter stopped at the end of 25L surrounded by emergency services. Not sure if its on the runway or adjacent taxiway, but they are now only using one runway. 07L. There are airstairs up to it and no signs of smoke or fire so probably not too major.

Any idea of what has transpired?

Get-a-raise
21st Sep 2010, 14:08
I just it on the news, they are saying some kind of "mechanical problems" (yeah, no sh*t) and the aircraft is stuck on the runway. So far "12 flights have been delayed", or so says the news.

Get-a-raise
21st Sep 2010, 14:13
Oops, I meant to say "I just saw it in the news. Will update when I know more.

Get-a-raise
21st Sep 2010, 14:32
82 flights delayed so far...

geh065
21st Sep 2010, 14:43
The left gear collapsed and the aircraft was resting on (or close to) its engines and wing.

Neptunus Rex
21st Sep 2010, 19:24
The Ginger Beers' explanation for this one is going to be very interesting.

fmotels
21st Sep 2010, 20:40
LH MLG outer cylinder split from top to bottom, possible trunion damage, main jacked on runway, defuelled, cargo offloaded LH MLG jury rigged to get wheels off ground then towed off, Looks like the HX boys did the recovery

hailstone
22nd Sep 2010, 09:52
do I understand correctly that the aircraft was already lined up on 25L for take-off and that the MLG failed at that time, or did this happen during the take-off roll ?

any idea as to the extent of the damage ?

Coastrider26
22nd Sep 2010, 10:26
What I saw the aircraft was lined up from the cargo side but not sure if it started the role yet it was most definitely not further than J9 (25L) for take off that evening

FR8R H8R
22nd Sep 2010, 10:30
We saw this as well and the delays lasted all day and well into the night. Were told that taking the runway, an oleo gave way and it took all day to offload fuel and 100 ton of cargo. Amazing what a mess that made of vhhh.

foxcharliep2
22nd Sep 2010, 11:57
do I understand correctly that the aircraft was already lined up on 25L for take-off and that the MLG failed at that time, or did this happen during the take-off roll ?

any idea as to the extent of the damage ?

Here's a news report from "Spiegel" online :

Hongkong: Deutsches Frachtflugzeug verunglückt - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Nachrichten - Panorama (http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,718852,00.html)

Says that " the landing gear collapsed shortly before t/o and the a/c had to be towed from the rwy".

LGB
24th Sep 2010, 07:38
Well, good for them it did not happen between V1 and Vr ... that would have made a bigger mess I think

freightdog188
25th Sep 2010, 05:59
http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/5227/dacgdgear.jpg
http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/acxgearwqxd71ns.jpg

404 Titan
25th Sep 2010, 09:43
I was speaking to a Ginger Beer going home the other day and he was telling me the aircraft had just been delivered to the German company. Prior to delivery the undercarriage had been completely overhauled. Obviously something was overlooked or it wasn’t reassembled correctly? Either way questions will be asked of the overhaul facility.

geh065
25th Sep 2010, 15:50
The overhaul facility are the same lot who service many of our planes over the border. Will be interesting.

H721
26th Sep 2010, 01:37
The overhauler is not located in Asia.

N1 Vibes
26th Sep 2010, 02:23
The overhauler is not located in Asia.

H721,

au contraire:

Taeco setup a Landing Gear Overhaul Facility in XMN to much pig-splitting and fanfare in 2007 - capability includes 747.

Taikoo (Xiamen) Landing Gear Services Co. Ltd. (http://www.haeco.com/about_haeco/pop_talsco.html)

It seems that our Brothers-in-Arms cannot be ruled out...

Best Regards,

N1 Vibes

geh065
26th Sep 2010, 13:02
As far as I know, D-ACGD was ferried to HKG from XMN after attention by Taeco (Might have been painted there, not sure) and entered service on a first revenue flight from HKG outbound (Where it returned to HKG after departure for a problem)

H721
26th Sep 2010, 13:17
The aircraft's recent major maintenance activities were done by companies not located in Asia.

crewsunite
26th Sep 2010, 13:57
Look at how CX sold HC back to swire.

0 Our Maintenance Bills have increased
0 Expat engineers congrats across the boarder have not been renewed (replaced by cheaper locals)
0 The left & right are not reading from the same page during C & D checks.

Its a nightmare - many planes have been AOG or very close too. Due to bad workmanship & short cuts in check & old parts.

Its not going to be long before something more serious is going to happen.

Let me guess either the pilots saves the day or takes the blame.:mad:

Anywhere along those lines..

Been a long days work. Night!

I hate the fact that shareholders & companies profit where cuts related to safety are being made. Get rid of 10% of the office staff & use better IT systems.

N1 Vibes
27th Sep 2010, 01:04
H721,

I defer, it was D-ACGC that was converted in Taeco, do you know who actually did the conversion on D-ACGD?

Crewsunite,

no further comment required.

Safe Flying,

N1 Vibes

H721
27th Sep 2010, 05:25
N1,

The passenger-to-cargo conversion was done some time ago. Not all sure if that is relevant to this incident.

The aircraft's recent major maintenance (and the overhaul of the gear in question) activities were not done by companies located in Asia.

H721