PDA

View Full Version : Heron "Riley Conversion"

cac_sabre
21st Sep 2010, 11:51
Any Connellan / Air Tasmania / Kendall drivers out there that may have drawings and close ups of the Riley installation?

Where the props on the same "line"
In the same line / plane as the original Gypsy installation?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Sep 2010, 12:00
Found this site........scroll down and on the LHS is a pic of 'Heron 2 VH-NJI'
at 'Australia's Museum of Flight'....

de Havilland Heron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Heron)

Photo appears to have the IO-540's on board.

Cheers with the modelling.

:ok::ok:

cac_sabre
21st Sep 2010, 12:16
..not enough detail to suss, size / shape / position.. need a good 3 view

wal

baron_beeza
21st Sep 2010, 12:56
DE HAVILLAND HERON VH-KAM (http://www.qam.com.au/aircraft/heron/VH-KAM.htm)

Plow King
21st Sep 2010, 13:30
Wal, have you got the profile drawing from Airliners in Australia Service Vol II (Eric Allen)?

If not, check your PMs

PK

Wally Mk2
22nd Sep 2010, 01:52
"PK" I just did a Google search (Images only) on the Heron (both eng types)& there's heaps of pix inc a 3 view drawing showing what you want to know.:ok:

Wmk2

cac_sabre
22nd Sep 2010, 03:25
I only found a gypsy 3 view in my search.. photos are helpful to a limited extent

thanks wal

Wally Mk2
22nd Sep 2010, 08:37
'cac-s' I only did a quick search & found 3 views on the Queen donks but using them & the many pixs of both types it appears that both engine versions shared a common thrust line, slightly above the wings chord line.. I'd be surprised if the thrust lines where widely different anyway. I used to fly the DH-104 (Dove) Riley 400 gee gee's version & often looked closely at the Gypsy/Queen version & they looked about the same to me. They flew well but where typical pommy rubbish, ergonomic nightmare!:)
Good luck & if yr building a model of one & want the exact thrust line then you are certifiable buddy:ok::E

Wmk2

Stationair8
22nd Sep 2010, 08:53
Try the aviation museum in Alice Springs, as they inherited a lot of drawings and engineeering orders when Northern took them over.

By George
23rd Sep 2010, 01:32
I have a few photographs of the Heron with an engine removed which shows good detail of the firewall etc. Plus a few others. They are in BNE. I'll be home on the 4th of next month on leave and can email them if you pm me. The IO-540 engine was 290 HP by memory (PA31 engine without the turbocharger de-rating it from 310 HP) Even on a hot day with a full load they performed better than most light twins. Very 'Pommy' though, rivets from a shipyard, phneumatics, rag flight controls and a cockpit that looked like a madmans tool shed.