PDA

View Full Version : Jumping off point for Flinders Island

TLAW
21st Sep 2010, 10:57
I'm planning a flight from Bankstown to Flinders Island and I need a refuelling point in between. Can anyone familiar with East Victorian aerodromes suggest a good airfield, preferably with a sealed runway, where I can refuel close to the coast near Flinders Island?

:ok:

Blin
21st Sep 2010, 11:21
Try Merimbula or Bairnsdale for fuel. Both have long sealed runways. Bairnsdale only takes credit card and cash.

bentleg
21st Sep 2010, 11:25
Im not Victorian but I've flown that way. If you are going coastal (scenic), I'd suggest Bairnsdale. Latrobe Valley could be considered but its 32 nm from the coast.

PLovett
21st Sep 2010, 11:26
Bairnsdale also has a very interesting photo display in the terminal showing the aerodrome's history. I have used it for refuelling a couple of times. :ok:

VH-XXX
21st Sep 2010, 12:11
Are you coming coastal or inland?

Bairnsdale you need to organise fuel so a little complex but worth the call.

LTV is a little off course, however you pretty much go past there there on your way to Wilsons prom. Fuel available from the club during daylight hours.

No easy fuel solution at Yarram which would be your last port of call.

If you're coming via Melbourne, last port of call is Tooradin, or Moorabbin which is 25 miles from there, or Lilydale / Coldstream just to the East of Melbourne.

PS: where I can refuel close to the coast near Flinders Island?
and Eastern Vic don't go hand in hand. You're up for 90+ Nautical Miles over water plus around 20+ miles around the Wilsons Prom area with zero landing opportunities.

manymak
21st Sep 2010, 12:18
If you not restricted by having to track coastal/island hop your probably best off refueling at Merimbula (nice spot for lunch but will need taxi into town) then direct to Flinders Island from there. 180nm from YMER-YFLI if my memory serves me correctly.

If you can't do that as previous posts suggest. Bairnsdale and Latrobe Valley both good place to stop by.

VH-XXX
21st Sep 2010, 13:22
That would be 180NM over water. You're keen! I know, I know, the plane doesn't know it's over water. With the weather down here at the moment you'd last about 20 minutes in the water. It's no Queensland weather, that's for sure!

Seagull V
21st Sep 2010, 13:31
Latrobe Valley is the place to go.

manymak
21st Sep 2010, 13:37
hat would be 180NM over water. You're keen! I know, I know, the plane doesn't know it's over water.

Yes it's a long stretch overwater. We don't know what aircraft he's using. I'd have no qualms in doing that route in a twin. In a 180KTAS multi-engine aircraft your always within 30mins of land and have Orbost/Mallacoota/East Sale if s#it hits the fan.

TLAW
21st Sep 2010, 13:55
The plan at the moment is to follow the coast to Wilsons Prom and then track south east along the island chain to Flinders. Was in two minds about refuelling at Merimbula or Bairnsdale, but if Bairnsdale is suitable it's preferred due to its proximity to me 'feet wet' point. Will also check out Latrobe Valley. Initially thought of using an Arrow, but depending on circumstances perhaps a Seminole. Not until the weather gets warmer at any rate.

Thanks for the rapid advice :ok: any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

VH-XXX
21st Sep 2010, 23:06
Give me a yell via PM if you're after accomodation or an alcohol dispensing establishment whilst you are on the island.

gas-chamber
21st Sep 2010, 23:52
If you had to come down the inland route (boring boring) another possible departure is Phillip Island. The strip is gravel and rocks, so be careful of your propeller. Fuel is VERY expensive and they hit you up for a landing fee. However if you are coming from the west and the weather up the Latrobe Valley is iffy, it is convenient. You just need to weigh the fuel cost against the extra track miles if you go to Bairnsdale. Bairnsdale is good, but avoiding Sale airspace may add more track miles, depending on your routing.
By rock-hopping and climbing to 9500ft you will probably find your 'wet footprint' is only 5nm or so on the most critical part of the crossing to FLI. Not that some of the rocks would permit a forced landing, but a ditching close by would lessen the time splashing around while the great whites sniff you out....

Wally Mk2
22nd Sep 2010, 01:39
Use caution at YBNS, NO fuel available. Check NOTAMS

"Latrine valley" (YLTV) might be the go.`Although a madhouse on a W/E & sunny day.

Follow the islands closely to YFLI, never be from gliding distance where possible. I've done that trip a few times back in my mad days where SE never bothered me & you won't last 5mins in that water! Take a damn dingy with outboard if ya can!:E

Wmk2

VH-XXX
22nd Sep 2010, 02:07
There's no point rocking up to Phillip Island and buying fuel, they are not set up for it, they are a Helicopter Operator and the Landing fee of $20 goes towards maintaining the runway and paying the excessively high rental for the field due to the premium location. As the houses are within 50 metres of the strip they don't want every man and his dog dropping in there on a frequent basis so the fee is set at an amount which assists with this requirement.

Tooradin and Tyabb are 10 minutes away and have better fuel options.

Wally Mk2
22nd Sep 2010, 02:16
..........ah good 'ole PID, $20 ldg fee hey?. sounds like SR is still there !!!:E
PID is a fab spot shame it will never be anything other than what it is today. Location is excellent & could be a thriving business if expanded (AirPark etc) but as usual councils & locals play Hitler!
Boy there are some stories to be told about that place many years ago:)

Wmk2

Jabawocky
22nd Sep 2010, 02:25
Just for Wally's benefit..... this is the way to Flinders Island........

http://i1.bebo.com/052b/5/large/2010/04/11/09/4525920200a12417440011l.jpg

Yep :ok: Single engine IFR.....at A090:uhoh: :}:}

Wally Mk2
22nd Sep 2010, 02:45
.............oh Jaba you poor thing.There must be some drugs to fix that affliction you have, that death wish, then again I guess yr on drugs to be there in the first place!:E
Once upon a time you couldn't fly across to YFLI in SE unless you went via the Island route. Ah the days of safety are looooooooong gone:-)

Wmk2