PDA

View Full Version : The Cessna 205, can someone shed some light.

gcpilot
20th Sep 2010, 23:21
Ahoi hoi,

I will let you know that i have used the search button many times.

but can someone please give me some information regarding the the C205 in Australia.

Is it still as valuable as the 'highly regarded' 206/210 time?

Cheers,

Fly-by-Desire
20th Sep 2010, 23:42
Its pretty much a fixed gear C210 decendent (that later became the 206) but with a 260hp engine. Also known as a 210-5, havn't seen many but there are a couple around.

VH-XXX
20th Sep 2010, 23:42
Not the expert on this but frequently you hear of employers or Pruners referring to "Cessna 200 Series Time."

Anything that distinguishes the time from a 172 & 182 is a good thing.

Mainframe
20th Sep 2010, 23:43
gcpilot

The Cessna 205 started life as a fixed gear version of the early strutted C210 and was designated as a Cessna 210-5.

The easiest way to identify one is it looks like a C206, but still has the nose gear bulge under its chin,
same as the nose gear door bulge of the early C210's.

The aircraft had two front doors (pilot and copilot) and was powered by a Continental IO 470.

This model morphed into the Cessna 206, initially with a smaller elevator and no cargo doors, which were introduced on the Cessna U206 series.

VH-CSC (affectionately known as "Charlie Sh*t Can") is a good example of the marque and has been flown by a few ppruners in their formative years.

For your log of experience, its an early C206 and has most of the attributes of the early models.

The definitive C206 is the Cessna U206G model,
with camber cuffed leading edges and brilliant short field capabilities that made it a favourite in PNG and the Oz outback.

If this will be your intro to Cessna workhorses, enjoy it, and when you get to fly a CU206G you will love the extra performance.

gcpilot
21st Sep 2010, 00:28
thankyou for sharing that,

yes, i noticed when putting the flight notification in, it came under a C210.

Clearly distinctive with their big bulge where the gear doors were supposed to be, i agree.

Well i guess im fortunate to have been given the opportunity to fly this 205.
Should look good in the '200 series!' column haha.

cheers.

chimbu warrior
21st Sep 2010, 00:57
The easiest way to identify one is it looks like a C206, but still has the nose gear bulge under its chin

...as did early model C206's.

This model morphed into the Cessna 206, initially with a smaller elevator and no cargo doors, which were introduced on the Cessna U206 series

The 206 you refer to was the P206 model (not sure, but I think P was for passenger and U was for utility) Early U206's also had the small elevator. I think it was the D or E (model suffix) that got rid of the bulge under the nose cowl and introduced the larger elevator.

The F-model also had the leading edge cuff.

Good reliable workhorses, and to answer the original query, I am sure 205 time would be highly regarded.

Aye Ess
21st Sep 2010, 03:08
Chimbu,indeed you are correct with the 'P' & 'U'. I have flown both the 205 & 206. Both were 'P' type & only had the small pax door in row 3,LHS.

Flying characteristics were pretty much the same except the 205 had a little less grunt & maybe a few knots slower.

chimbu warrior
21st Sep 2010, 06:19
why is the 206 or 208 time more highly regarded than a 182?

Good question. Only thing that springs to mind is either insurance or client requirements for minimum time in type.

As to the differences between a 182 and a 206, they are not that great, but between a 182 and a 208 they are substantial. take a look here Caravan (http://cessna.com/caravan.html?gclid=CJDR6orwl6QCFQ25bwoddQ0KEg)