PDA

View Full Version : JOC vs MCC

dcoded
20th Sep 2010, 15:38
Hello, just finished my CPL IR/ME.

I am half polish and speak polish fluently (currently live in Sweden)
and I want to take a shot at joining Wizz.

I know that they are not currently looking for FO's but maybe they will in the future, who knows?

Anyways, I noticed that they want you to have completed Jet orientation course before applying to them.
Now to my question. If I do my MCC on a jet can I use that as a substitute for JOC? What I understand JOC is a smaller course compared to MCC.

Any tips?

Obs cop
20th Sep 2010, 16:01
In a simple answer no.

The JOC and MCC have different learning objectives and the MCC is mandatory for multicrew operations in JAA land, the JOC is not.

The MCC is generally flown utilising a lot of automation, very little hand flying and concentrating on the multi crew cockpit. The MCC does not have to be done on a jet as the same problems and learning can be gained on a turboprop.

The JOC is designed as an introduction to the handling and operating of a jet aircraft and does not focus on crew co-operation. Likewise most if not all JOC students have already done an MCC so have an idea what they are supposed to be doing in the cockpit with their crewmate.

As a rule, when an airline asks for a JOC they really mean they want and MCC and a JOC.

Regards,
Obs

dcoded
20th Sep 2010, 16:28
That was simple enough!

Thanks mate

crille
20th Sep 2010, 18:25
While obs cop has some good points one has to point out the different needs for a JOC.

If for instance you've done your MCC on a full motion jet sim (737 etc) is there really much to be gained from sitting there a few hours extra? A JOC has obvious advantages if you've never flown a jet before, and have done your MCC on a turbo prop or fixed base sim, and for instance are up for a sim check. But if you do your MCC on a jet, you can handle it, and I don't personally see the need to fly an extra six hours (at the TRTO i did my MCC with) on a completely new aircraft, as that is too little time anyway to get the grip of it.

:}

The African Dude
20th Sep 2010, 22:52
Why is 6 hours too little time to be getting the grip of it? An FTO I know has students performing SE NDB approaches by hand in a 737 on the second detail and they get quite good quite fast. Manouvering at M0.76 at FL350 only takes a few minutes of practice by hand before you get a good feel for the aircraft characteristics.

It depends how you use those 6 hours and what you want to take away from the course...:)