PDA

View Full Version : Mobitz type 2 AV block

rauldiaz
20th Sep 2010, 14:54
Hi All,

During last medical check based on my ECG the doctors suspected the bradycardia, so I was to provide the 24H ECG, echocardiogram and stress ECG.

Unfortunately in the 24H ECG there is visible a Mobitz type 2 AV (atrioventricular) block (3:2). I've read in the JAR-FCL 3 that this rythm disturbance is disqualifying (but not sure whether disqualifying when visible in the basic ECG or ocassionally in 24H ECG). Does anyone had it? Did you have problems with this heart condition to get a
medical certificate? Doctor says that within next 10 years I may expect an implant of pacemaker - do you know cases of pilots flying with an pacemaker in Europe?

The other significant rythm disturbances in the 24H ECG were 15 supraventrucular excitations (15 SVE) and 1 case of bradycardia.
Are there any pilots with these rythm disturbances?

I'm really worried that my heart condition may disqualify my medical class 1 certificate. Looking forward any piece of information from pilots suffering to the
similar heart problems.

Best regards,
Raul

=========================================================

rauldiaz
24th Aug 2011, 12:29
Any comments guys?

Jarvy
24th Aug 2011, 12:54
Firstly get a good cardiologist, just don't go on what the CAA tell you. I see you are in London so there are many good ones around you.
I must say that its odd that its been nearly a year since you first post, so you should have found your answers already.

DX Wombat
24th Aug 2011, 13:12
I cannot comment on the CAA's position but as this form of heartblock can lead to complete heartblock it would not surprise me that any known episode might lead to withdrawal of your medical. The treatment is to have a pacemaker fitted but be guided by your cardiologist. I can't see your ECG (rightly so) but the bradycardia could have occurred during an episode of heartblock - an abnormally slow pulse rate is often what first brings the condition to light. Again, I cannot comment definitively, but the SVTs may be a compensatory mechanism. All the above mentioned need to be properly diagnosed and treated as necessary by a Consultant Cardiologist. I wish I could be more helpful and hopeful for you but it is a long time since I worked in an adult cardiology unit so am not fully up to date with recent advances. I'm sorry to be such a pessimist. I hope you will be able eventually to continue flying.
I've just noticed that you do not say whether or not your medical certificate was reissued after your medical or what advice you were given other than the probability of needing a pacemaker. If you haven't already done so, get yourself referred to a Consultant Cardiologist as soon as possible.