PDA

View Full Version : How to convert a JAR licence to a FAA licence.

rigid2000
20th Sep 2010, 14:17
Hello everybody,

An important question for me. I had a job offer and later it turned out that I need a FAA licence. I have a JAR licence at the moment and I am very much interested in flying for this company, so at the moment I am trying to find out how to convert my JAR licence into a FAA licence.

Does anybody have any experience with this or know how this works. Do I have to do theoretical exams and\or maybe flying exams?

Some additional information, my JAR licence is issued by The Netherlands. I am saying this because every country has their own specific rules.

Anyway, I hope anybody has an answer. I already sent the Dutch authorities an email with this question, but it always takes a while.

Hope to get breplies quickly since the is a deadline.

Regards,

Rigid

Hot Wings
21st Sep 2010, 08:30
Rigid,

I would get in touch with the FAA. They have an office in London and one in Frankfurt (known as IFUs). Have a look at the FAA website for contact numbers.

I remember being told about 10 years ago that if you were an experienced pilot it was pretty straight forward but, as always, things have probably changed.

ITFC1
21st Sep 2010, 09:16
Rules have changed somewhat now. before it was a written test then the Oral and Sim Ride.

Airmen Certification: Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

That may help a little.

I think now it also depends on if you have any FAA License or not, if you dont you have to get your hours validated by your Issuing country, this can take about 3 months.

I think if you have a FAA license of some sort, them i dont think you have to do the above.

Dont quote me on it, but may help on your research