PDA

View Full Version : Avast updates

Parapunter
20th Sep 2010, 14:06
I know a few here use Avast. Lately, it has pestered me with a pop up telling me my version is obsolete & urging me to download a new one - why not I thought, it's been good so far.

Post install, I found that on three machines, inbound email had packed up on an 0X800CCC90 error, using Win Live mail. Turns out that Avast scans were blocking inbound email - solution was to disable email scanning, reboot & re-enable the scanning.

Maybe just my config, but a heads up if anyone else runs into this trouble.

BOAC
20th Sep 2010, 14:39
No sign of that here, but it does not like the SSL setting in Livemail

green granite
20th Sep 2010, 14:46
And I don't like the female voice that tells me it's been updated.

BOAC
20th Sep 2010, 14:49
err............ switch it off?

Parapunter
20th Sep 2010, 15:07
It's now popped up & asked me whether I want to switch over to Pirate English as it's international talk like a pirate day.

Arrrrgghhhhhhh matey.

BOAC
20th Sep 2010, 15:41
Just shout 'Avast you landlubbers' at it (and cancel it). It has not come back for me.

call100
20th Sep 2010, 21:41
It requires you turn of the SSL in your email client as it does this its self....
You can now actually download 'Pirate' as a language.....Quite amusing when it updates or gives a warning....
I've never had any trouble with it and have been virus free since getting it some years ago.

Loose rivets
20th Sep 2010, 22:49
Why would anyone with a patch over one eye, put a bird with a pointy beak on their shoulder?:ouch:

BOAC
21st Sep 2010, 07:28
Ahoy me hearties!!

It requires you turn of the SSL in your email client as it does this its self- indeed, but I just cannot fathom why the accounts that INSIST on SSL in the set-up still work without it!