PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft evacuation - Miami, 1980s

oversteer
20th Sep 2010, 11:14
I was on a aircraft that was evacuated on the ground at Miami, during boarding, sometime mid-1980s - it would have been a transatlantic flight going back to London. Apparently a bomb was alleged to be on the aircraft and the captain was quite forceful on the PA urging people to leave ASAP ..

I remember very little, aside from the TSA questioning, only that it was a nighttime flight and the aircraft was towed away to be searched, and local news were in attendance, much to the delight of me aged 5ish.

Was this a regular occurence back then? As it was my first flight abroad I'd be fascinated to know what airline it might have been, and when it was..

Groundloop
20th Sep 2010, 11:48
sometime mid-1980s

aside from the TSA questioning

TSA did not exist until late-2001!

411A
20th Sep 2010, 13:11
TSA did not exist until late-2001!
Yup.
The TSA gets blamed for many things, however...a 'time wharp' ain't one of them.:}

oversteer
20th Sep 2010, 13:48
Hey I was about 5, I can't remember the specifics ;)

..apart from apparently causing a scene when I was asked if anyone had given me anything .. I said "yes" and was promptly whisked off to be questioned.. turns out the object in question was a Happy Meal box, with a few toys in, given with my meal a few minutes earlier..