slx
20th Sep 2010, 09:15
Hello,

What do you recommand as QB ?
Aviation exam or Bristol Atpl?

Thx

toff
20th Sep 2010, 10:01
Bristol's ATPL Online was my preferred question bank, but make sure you use it with your course reading materials and not instead of.

ATPL Online - The ATPL Multiple Choice Question Database (http://atplonline.gs/)

Greg2041
21st Sep 2010, 09:10
For the UK I have heard flyingexam.com is another good bank and a bargain price and the questions are more of less the same as Bristols. I haven't used either but I would be inclined to try them both (for an extra £10 for 3 months) and then you can choose your preferred one.

Good luck and report back!

Greg

Ps I meant to add that in some other countries aviationexam is allegedly more accurate as the exams are different. Personally I think it's all bonkers!

PAPI-74
21st Sep 2010, 09:16
Make sure you save and print out the attachments to the questions - especially Met.

Greg2041
22nd Sep 2010, 07:43
Good advice. Support from Bristol is excellent as shown here.

ATP Forum - Powered by vBulletin (http://atpforum.co.uk/)

Not sure about flyingexam.com but there's loads of support on PPrune.

Greg

Aussie John
23rd Sep 2010, 13:51
FlyingExam.com is tip top and got me through the exams with ease. Perhaps the only thing I encountered in my ATPL training that could have been described as good value. Why pay 50 quid for bristol when you can get the same thing for a tenner!

Treeshaver
23rd Sep 2010, 21:04
Flyingexam.com is used by Ground Training Services at Bournemouth Airport for prepping their students, I believe they contribute explanations to questions as well as keeping the database in line with the current jaa syllabi. I would say therefore that it has a bit more credibility than Aviation Exam, which I don't think has any link to an official groundschool.

lasseb
23rd Sep 2010, 21:39
I used The JAA Online Question bank (http://www.jaaqb.com). A lot better than bristol, and cheaper than flyingexam.com..
Its most feature-wise though. The questions appear to be the same in all 3 banks...

Aussie John
24th Sep 2010, 05:33
How is jaaqb cheaper than flyingexam.com? Its 8euros for one subject per month, flyingexam is 11.99 euros for 3 months, all subjects!

Alex Whittingham
24th Sep 2010, 10:19
I've not looked at the question bank you suggest lasseb, so I just tried their demo. There are lots of questions with the answer option 'both A and B are correct' such as:

Q. Which facility associated with the ILS has a two letter coded signal used for identification?

(A) Locator beacons
(B) Markers
(C) Glidepath
(D) both A and B are correct

The JAA don't write questions like that because the exam answers are randomised. If they wanted several options they would write something like:

Q. Chemical oxygen generators are used to furnish oxygen to the:

1. cockpit
2. cabin
3. toilets
4. smoke hood

The combination that regroups all of the correct statements is:

(A) 2, 3, 4.
(B) 1, 2.
(C) 1, 3.
(D) 1, 4.

I'm not aware of any questions like this in Radio Nav, it happens most in 022 Instruments. I might be wrong, though, I wonder if any other instructors are aware of stuff like this in the exams?

lasseb
24th Sep 2010, 17:28
Well I got some of those in my real ATPL exam, so I think they do exists :-D
And I don't think you should put to much into the questions you get using the demo since it comes with this warning:

"New exams are not generated in the demo version. You will get the same exam regardless of your choice."

So it seams the validity of questions in the demo version is quite reduced ;)

And yes the answers are randomized both in JAR and on jaaqb.com... just try the demo again and you will see that the answers flip around. Also on the "both X an Y are correct" ones...
(at least they did that when I used it...)

downwind24
26th Sep 2010, 21:44
Each to their own but i used the Bristol Online question bank. Along with the Bristol course i averaged 95% on the 14 exams and all first time passes in 6 months full time from home , every JAA exam i sat i had seen the questions at least once from the Online QB.

For me i suppose its just how serious you are about wanting to pass the exams first time ?! After working hard through what is an excellent ATPL course the QB cements your knowledge especially for those questions that are so obscure you would have to see them on the QB to know them (AGK especially)

I had a friend who used another free online test , he was on his third attempt at Met and second in Gen Nav before he passed. As i say each to their own but there's only 1 question bank i would use !:ok:

lasseb
27th Sep 2010, 07:54
You have probably only ever tried one QB, so it's hard to say isn't it ;)

I have had students who got 99% pass on all exams without ever using any question bank, and I've had students who failed on their 3. attempt when using a question bank (Bristol).
It's not which bank you use, it's how you use it!!!!
The questions in the banks are more or less the same anyway. So choose the one that has the features and the pricing you want.

downwind24
27th Sep 2010, 09:42
You assume incorrectly , i also used : JAA ATPL Test | AviationTire.com (http://www.aviationtire.com/atplsubject.cfm?CFID=45479997&CFTOKEN=72297891)

It contains very little in explanations and no where near the number of questions as Bristol does. Noticed a new thread this morning by a guy who is using a different QB and it contains no answers or help reference , dont forget at Bristol you also have the support of the instructors there by email and on the forum.

As i stated each to their own , me and thousands of others have used the tried and tested one that WE liked , some may not , its all about personal preference.

I have had replies from instructors on a Sunday evening and Saturday morning so that's why i chose the Bristol QB , the support (inc Tech Support) is second to non , in my opinion.

You can always tell people on the forum who dont use Bristol QB as they ask for explanations on questions that have a full and detailed explanation using their 'Info' button , obviously the sites they use dont have this facility.

I think ultimately what you put into the course you get out regardless :O

lasseb
27th Sep 2010, 17:22
Never tried those...
Tried aviation axam, bristol and jaaqb.
the later also having a superb feedback with instructors.
I just think there is to much focus on which bank to use. If you study and actually try to learn it doesn't really matter.:)

downwind24
28th Sep 2010, 08:50
That was exactly what i was getting at :ok:

slx
3rd Oct 2010, 18:37
Question 7: What is the difference between version 2 and version 3 of the database?
Answer: Version 2 contains the questions for CQB13. Version 3 contains the questions for CQB14. The reason they are separate is because in the UK, students were only taking their exams from the CQB13 database and it would mean many more questions for them to study which they would not be tested on. Outside the UK, students were being tested from a different syllabus and included questions from CQB14 as well. The 2 versions contain completely different questions. We know that the UK is starting to teach from the NPA 25 syllabus and the ‘new’ CQB 15 database. However, as far as we're aware, CQB15 is in effect CQB14 with many of the gross errors corrected; the major reason why the UK hasn't used CQB14 is that they felt it contained far too many inaccurate questions etc. For the past 8 months, in the light of all the feedback we've received, we've been making subtle adjustments to the bad questions and answers in CQB14 so we hope that when CQB15 is used in the exams you will not get many surprises.

Question 8: Which database do I use to study from?
Answer: General advice is that students, who are taking their exams in the UK, should only study the v2 database. All other students should study from BOTH v2 AND v3. For UK students however, recent feedback indicates that questions may appear in UK exams that have been taken from v3; although they are few in number, you may wish to look through the v3 database if you have the time. Currently, this seems most prevalent in General Navigation and Radio Navigation. You will note that, currently, there are no v3 questions for Air Law, Mass and Balance, VFR Comms and IFR Comms.

PAPI-74
4th Oct 2010, 08:12
But if you use any Q's as a study aid to testing your knowledge, you can attack anything. These guys that walk out of the exam in 10 mins are just cheating themselves later on when it comes to a type rating.

lasseb
5th Oct 2010, 07:44
Doesn't all of the major players offer teacher support?
Don't really think that Bristol is an exception here.

But still.. If you are doing an ATPL course you have teacher support from you own teacher.
So just collect the few questions you can't figure out and ask your teacher.
Again.. to much focus on this. If you enrol in a class, and study the books you don't need all this. If you really need an explanation of every question in the bank and a teacher to ask, then you should probably consider another career ;-)

Touchdown21
16th Mar 2011, 02:56
Does anyone know if the CAA is using QB 15 now? Anyone taken any of the ATPL written tests in 2011 like to share insight? Thanks.