PDA

View Full Version : Air Zimbabwe buy 2 new Airbus aircraft

blindworm2003
20th Sep 2010, 01:05
AIR Zimbabwe will take delivery of two new Airbus A340-200 aircraft before the end of the year after the government paid out US$400 million.

Air Zim buys 2 Airbus planes (http://www.newzimbabwe.com/news-3358-Air+Zim+buys+2+Airbus+planes/news.aspx)

The Ancient Geek
20th Sep 2010, 09:08
I smell a large steaming pile of bovine excrement.
You cannot BUY two NEW A340s for delivery this year.
And the chairman is "unaware".

Newspaper gets it wrong. YAWN.

Soap Box Cowboy
20th Sep 2010, 13:33
New is a relative term in Africa, all those second hand Japanese cars we get here are considered "new" And in pure language terms the aircraft will be new to the company, no? :E

Heard there are plenty of 340's around, everyone wanting 777's Was an article in flight some months ago about the demise of four engine's.

I love how apparently the chairman has heard of new planes coming but is not aware of it :ugh:

The Ancient Geek
20th Sep 2010, 14:09
Yea right - the article specifies A340-200 which was the very early model so definitely NOT new.
Only a few were built and not many remain in service :-
Afriqiyah 1
EgyptAir 3
SAA 6
Royal Jordanian 4
Aerolineas Argentinas 4
ConViasa 1

I wonder if they are about to wet lease two from SAA to replace the 767s ? :hmm:

rogerk
21st Sep 2010, 09:39
Only one question ??
Who is going to drive them ??
I thought they fired all their pilots last week ??
:ooh::ooh:

springbok702
21st Sep 2010, 14:29
apparently, from another forum.....
...The aircraft are being leased from HiFly, the first being A345, CS-TQP (F-WWTG).

GoForIt
21st Sep 2010, 18:50
They're getting 2 A320's as well.

lvdriver
22nd Sep 2010, 08:10
Is the pilot strike still on? if so then will Air Zim surive to see the delivery

putt for dough
22nd Sep 2010, 14:26
The only business I would do with Air Zim and that filthy government is cash upfront before any talk about delivery date!!

Ps wonder if those guys flying the ZS F28 for Air Zim have been paid upfront:eek:

EladElap
22nd Sep 2010, 15:30
Yeah well considering the Air Quarius crew are not being paid by Air Zim, but by Air Quarius, why should they worry about being paid up front.

Air Quarius however, I am very sure got a good junk of cash up front, otherwise I highly doubt they would be flying for them right now.

Insane
22nd Sep 2010, 17:46
Apparently there are two A319 as well. A total of 6 a/c now comming in to Air Zim:eek::eek:

Wonder where the cash for all these aircraft is comming from?? Maybe from all the diamonds they have auctioned off lately:E:E

Jetjock330
22nd Sep 2010, 18:16
Hi Fly usually wet lease their aircraft. They received an old and tired A340-300 from Etihad, which came from Emirates and before that, from Singapore. I cannot see- Air Zim training hundreds of pilots to fly the "new OLD Airbuses", therefore I suspect they will be wet leased until the money runs out. This will also alleviate the need for the Air ZIM Pilots to return to work, unfortunately, if my prediction is true (this is however a rumor network)

blindworm2003
23rd Sep 2010, 00:00
I really do feel sorry for the Air Zim pilots and I hope they do get their money that is owed to them. I hope all is resolved soon. It appears most people are negative about Air Zim getting the so called NEW/OLD Airbus aircraft. Come on people, cut the national airline some slack. Firstly we complain about how they operate old aircraft and now that they are finally taken a step forward we still criticize them. People can never be pleased.

We can never compare Air Zimbabwe to BA, SAA, Cathay etc. Yes they have mis managed the airline, but personally I feel buying these aircraft is a step forward. Give them a chance and see what they do with the new fleet. Who knows, miracles can happen

inini
27th Sep 2010, 20:37
It doesnt do any harm to get your facts correct. Air Zim getting what? When they cant even pay their pilots? PLEEEEEASEEEE

Capetonian
27th Sep 2010, 20:54
Who will be paying for these aircraft if UM get them? Answers on a postcard please.

Multiple choice :
1: The UN do-gooders
2: The Organisation of African Unity (note that in the context of Africa, the words 'organisation' and 'unity' are oxymorons.
3: The Borld Wank
4: Oxfam