PDA

View Full Version : Seattle WA: Looking for someone to split hours (Building up time)

aamerena
19th Sep 2010, 23:52
Hello,

I'm based in Everett WA near Seattle and I'm trying to build up some hours for my CPL. I've only 90 hours and will need the famous 250h. I've a PPL and IR SEL

So is someone here who wants to split some hours? I was thinking about flying down to California and come back on a C152 :ok:. Or what is the best (and expacially cheapest) way to build so many hours?

Another question: As a privat pilot I can share the costs of the flight. But can I put an announcment on Craig's list to find someone who wants to come to California and split the bill and come as a passenger? Or do I need a commercial licence for that? :confused:

Thanks to you all,
Antoni

If this is the wrong forum sorry didn't know where else to post...

Uncle Wiggily
20th Sep 2010, 15:20
WTF?!? Is the FAA asking for receipts now? lol.

PS: Try Airline pilot central instead of this site. Generally, this site is geared toward Euro pilots.

KKoran
20th Sep 2010, 20:09
Another question: As a privat pilot I can share the costs of the flight. But can I put an announcment on Craig's list to find someone who wants to come to California and split the bill and come as a passenger? Or do I need a commercial licence for that? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Not only would you need a commercial pilot certificate, you would need a Part 135 certificate. If the FAA caught you (even if you had your commercial certificate) they would most likely revoke all of your FAA pilot certificates.

aamerena
21st Sep 2010, 00:25
@KKoran: Yes but I don't get paid. I want to share the costs as it says for private pilots. I'm just looking for someone who wants to share half of the costs. Is it still illegal?

KKoran
21st Sep 2010, 07:26
Aamerena,

Still illegal. To share costs, the travelers must have a common purpose. If you and a friend were to, for example, fly to California to visit Disneyland (or just so each of you could build hours), you could split the cost of the flight. Advertising for someone who wants to go to California on Craigs List (or anywhere else) would be seen as holding out an offer of air transportation. There is no common purpose for the trip--you are doing it to build hours and the passenger is doing it to get to California.

unwashed
21st Sep 2010, 08:51
If the two of you share the cost equally you can fly around the world and advertise that you are looking for someone to this with and it is not commercial flying. It happens all the time. Such as a FBO or private individual who will rent their twin to two people to build time. This used to be for a Duchess or Seminole and it was $5000 per person for 100 hrs or $10000 for two people. Here is how to double the fun! Fly under the hood while the other acts as the safety pilot. You both log PIC as one of you is the sole manipulator and the of is in charge of the safety of flight. Have fun and land a few odd ball places along the way.

KKoran
21st Sep 2010, 20:45
aamerena

I seriously doubt your'e going to find a Seattle-area flying on this Euro-centric forum. You would probably have better luck on these forums:

Pilots of America (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/)

Pacific Northwest Flying (http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/index.php)

aamerena
21st Sep 2010, 22:17
thanks guys,

I have found one who is exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/flight-training/53123-seattle-safety-pilots.html

The only problem is, I cannot contact him!! On that stupid forum I cannot register because I have only a Hotmail and Gmail email. also I cannot answer the 'NoSpam!' question that I cannot find.

My question is: Is someone here already registered at Airline Pilots Central that could contact sfgiants13 for me and tell him that I'm interested and give him my email? It's antoni.ame (at) hotmail.it

In that case I dont need to put an advertising on Craigslist. But also half of my Instructors agree with Koran and the other half dont. I can unterstand if I would post that I'm offering a trip, but if I'm just looking for someone to split hours??

hope someone of you is registered!

Thanks,
Antoni

KKoran
22nd Sep 2010, 19:07
Antoni,

You've got it right. It's legal if you are looking to split hours (common purpose--two guys want to fly somewhere to build hours), but not legal if you are just looking for a passenger who wants to go somewhere.

Hope you find someone and that you both understand the rules about logging time.

aamerena
22nd Sep 2010, 19:49
Well I'm doing my FAA CPL so they count 100% also if they are Safety Pilot hours. I'm looking to do just my FAA CPL SEL and MEL and go to Africa. Once I've like 2000 hours I'll see if I'm going back to Europe. So I'm not doing it for JAR licences.

So nobody here is registered in Airline Pilot Forum??? I'm really don't understand how to contact anyone from the forum. Also if you want to ask a moderator or an administrator you need to be registered!

terryb99
23rd Sep 2010, 00:07
I sent him a PM for you.

Terry

KKoran
23rd Sep 2010, 01:13
aamerena,

You might want to check out this discussion on logging PIC time.
Two VFR pilots, one under the hood - can both log PIC time? - Pilots of America Message Board (http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34664&highlight=safety+pilot)

aamerena
23rd Sep 2010, 17:25
Thank you Terry!

Hope he replys soon.

So in Europe safety pilot time PIC doesn't count?

Bye