PDA

View Full Version : Latest Windows 7 update has stolen my dvd drive!!

frazhm
19th Sep 2010, 14:42
After the latest Windows 7 security update my DVD Drive is no longer recognised. It only reappears when I restore my system to a date earlier than the latest update. The laptop eventually reinstalls the latest update once again and once again my DVD drive goes AWOL.

DVD type - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T40N ATA DEVICE

Driver- Microsoft 21/06/2006
version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)

I am getting damned annoyed with this one. Having paid good money for the latest operating system, having previously been an XP stalwart, the system meticulously downloads all the latest drivers and security updates only to play funny buggers with my DVD Drive. One accepts the occassional issue with hardware and viruses but when a legitimate download causes problems, especially when it has performed faultlessly previously it does dent the accumulated confidence that had built up with Windows 7.

So Boys and Girls what do you think??

green granite
19th Sep 2010, 15:14
No problems here so try: Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116)

frazhm
19th Sep 2010, 15:47
I have tried this "Fix it" microsoft solution but still no joy - it eventually says "unable to fix" and invites me to report the problem using 250 characters or less!!!

frazhm

dazdaz1
19th Sep 2010, 16:35
Maybe I'm off target... "Driver- Microsoft 21/06/2006" ?

D1

Simonta
19th Sep 2010, 16:46
It's very unusual for simple drivers like DVDs to cause woe but it does seem to be the case from your description. If the DVD is functioning flawlessly without the update, go to Windows Update and choose to hide the offending download. It won't bother you again.

Cheers

Mornington Crescent
19th Sep 2010, 18:18
Fraz,

Try swapping your DVD onto another SATA connector (if you have one)

dazdaz1
19th Sep 2010, 18:59
Sim...Don't think it will work W7....Start>System and Security>Check for Updates>View Update History. Click on the MS update, you can't delete/no option to delete.

You have a choice...a) "View Details.
b) Copy Details (which is not highlighted)

D1

Simonta
19th Sep 2010, 19:36
Windows Update - Hide or Restore Hidden Updates - Windows 7 Forums (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html)
Try clicking on start, type "cmd" without the quotes, then right click cmd.exe in the results list and select "Run as administrator", Then run "control" from the command prompt. Try going in that way.

frazhm
20th Sep 2010, 19:48
Right, I tried a couple of your suggestions and the one that seems to be working at the mo is via windows update. Using this I managed to isolate the recent updates that were related to win7, logically assumimg I could ignore the Office 2007 and IE8 updates. I narrowed it down to 3 updates and individually uninstalled and reinstalled them until I found the offending file. But the main prob has been the keeness of the laptop to try and reinstall the offending file!!!!

I have now "hidden" the offending file and setup Windows Update to notify me about any attempts to install updates automatically. This all seems to have allowed my DVD drive to remain in existence, but I still am not totally happy, Microsoft chucks out updates every few days and I now am going have to very closely monitor all of these attempts instead of allowing it to update automatically. I do feel slightly cheated as upto now Win 7 has performed and updated faultlessly.

Ultimately, I need to find why this particular update causes my dvd to dissappear, otherwise I will always be wary of future updates repeating this problem and the more security updates I isolate and prevent from loading the more vulnerable my system will become.

Many thanks all who gave their time to respond

Frazhm