PDA

View Full Version : IREX

Niceguysa45
19th Sep 2010, 04:57
Anyone know what the pass mark is? 70 or 80%

ConfigFull
19th Sep 2010, 05:02
70% - Use the Bob Tait book and and bit of common sense and you'll be fine.

Best of luck.

Niceguysa45
19th Sep 2010, 05:10
I am using the aviation theory centre books, how come no one recommends them, are they any good for the IREX?

ConfigFull
19th Sep 2010, 05:21
I'm sure they're ok, but much like their SPL/BAK and PPL/CPL books there's just too much information in there that doesn't really apply to the exam.

Not necessarily a bad thing in the long run but IREX is enough of a shock to the system. Apart from yourself I could only think of a couple of people who have used the ATC books for IREX. Know your AIPs back to front too!

Capt Fathom
19th Sep 2010, 05:39
Anyone know what the pass mark is? 70 or 80%

Why would that matter when your aiming for 100% :ok:

Aussie
19th Sep 2010, 08:34
If it hasnt changed since i did my IREX a few yrs ago, your on a winner with the Bob Tait book... exam is a breeze if you get on top of his book!

Global Xpress
20th Sep 2010, 00:04
Tait is the man when it comes to IREX, got me 98%:ok:

PA39
20th Sep 2010, 01:31
When the single IFR exam was introduced the pass mark was 80% and the industry complained that the bar was set too high as nearly everyone was failing. It didn't help in one question "once you become visual where would you expect to see the navaid" !! BUT on that particular plate, the navaid position was not marked and it was usually a fail by 1 question!! :ooh:

AussieNick
20th Sep 2010, 03:10
I used the bob tait book for my IREX. I found once I sat the exam that there were alot of questions in the exam that came from the Bob Tait text word for word, even the answer choices were the same.

BUT, I also have since read the ATC IREX book and found them to be just as good, if not better in some parts. The Bob Tait book is, in my opinion, really geared to getting you to pass the exam and the learn the really important stuff from your instructor, where as the ATC books go into a lot more depth with the theory. Not nessicarly useful for the exam, but to give you a better understanding of IFR flying in general.

Do what alot of people I know have done, use both texts, the Bob Tait for the theory and then use the ATC questions and exams to supplement the Bob tait ones.