PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Smiling_Goat
19th Sep 2010, 02:06
Hi Ppruners,

I need some advice. I started flying lessons last June. I'm now well on my way to getting my PPL. I've dreamed about becoming a Pilot as far back as High School, at least 13 years now.

Here's the problem, I'm starting to regret my decision to quit my job and pursue a career as a Pilot. In fact, I'm almost 100% sure I don't want to be a Pilot anymore. How does that happen? During Ground School, all i could think about was I'm exactly where I should be. Now, I'm genuinely happy when my lesson gets canceled due to close of VFR.

It's not that I have a fear of flying, I don't. It's mostly because I'm just not happy. I thought it could just be a phase and it would go away but it hasn't. And when you're spending the amount of money it takes to learn how to fly, being unhappy about it is just too freaking expensive. I don't want to waste anymore of my money and my parents' hard-earned money into an endeavor that doesn't make me happy. It's just everyone I know now thinks I'm going to be a career Pilot since I've been spouting about it for a long time. There are expectations and now all of a sudden I'm not going to fulfill those anymore.

Here's where I need some advice on--- Do I stick with it and HOPE the feeling of unhappiness goes away while in the meantime spending gobs of cash OR Do I just stop, get something like my old job back, move on with my life and consider this experience a lesson learned, and not worry about not meeting other people's expectations?

Slasher
19th Sep 2010, 03:04
At least your honest Mr Goat.

Best advice is get the hell out. Fortunate your not stuck in
some cadetship in debt up to your balls with no choice.

OR Do I just stop, get something like my old job
back, move on with my life and consider this experience a
lesson learned, and not worry about not meeting other
people's expectations?

Yeh. That.

Smiling_Goat
19th Sep 2010, 03:27
Thanks Slasher.

As Adam Carolla would always say...

"If it doesn't make you money, or it doesn't make you happy, don't do it."

STOLFLYER
20th Sep 2010, 11:28
Good advice Slasher.
Pilot job is hell and once you lose your medical, that is the end of it. You can either be a Ground Instructor, Simulator Instructor if you qualify or work as security of the airport.:=

training wheels
20th Sep 2010, 11:35
It's mostly because I'm just not happy.

What exactly aren't you happy with mate? Did you expect flight attendants serving you coffee and sandwiches in your Cessna 150?

waspmaker
20th Sep 2010, 14:02
Hey Wheels, The guy is being sincere ,needs advice dont hit below the belt.

:=

training wheels
20th Sep 2010, 14:21
Hey Wheels, The guy is being sincere ,needs advice dont hit below the belt.

I'm genuinely curious as to what his expectations were when he signed up to join flying school. And fair enough if he doesn't like it once he's experience what flying involves. It's better he quits now than later. :)

Slasher
20th Sep 2010, 14:54
I'm genuinely curious as to what his expectations
were when he signed up to join flying school.

Probabley the same as the rest of us TW back when we had
real airlines worth chasing with real aircraft and recieved real
salarys. But not now nor ever again in the future.

Even modern light aircraft leave nothing left to enjoy (like the
types Goat might be learning on) - puters, GPS, EFIS etc. Id
rather throw an early PA18 or nice Stearman round the sky
anyday (minus any modcons) - and if I could get the same
salary as I do on the bloodey Scarebus Id do it in a heartbeat! :cool:

Smiling_Goat
21st Sep 2010, 06:04
What exactly aren't you happy with mate? Did you expect flight attendants serving you coffee and sandwiches in your Cessna 150?

That's not it at all. I can't really put my finger on it. It's just a gut feel I have.

I'm genuinely curious as to what his expectations were when he signed up to join flying school.

Well, for one, I didn't think something like this would come up. I always thought once I start flying school, flying is going to be my career for the rest of my life. But then, once I started the flying lessons, it started to creep on me that I just want to stop and go back to my old life.

Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I really liked my job before this. The only reason I quit is because I turned 29 this year and if i was gonna be a pilot, I thought I had to do it now before it's too late.

onedelacruz
1st Oct 2010, 04:23
pls check your PM, Smiling_Goat