PDA

View Full Version : RAN trackers

markontop
18th Sep 2010, 07:51
Just wondering?
Would any ex serving members know details of RAN tracker ops off HMAS Melbourne? eg. numbers, squadrons dates.

ampclamp
18th Sep 2010, 11:49
This site may be of use navy.gov.au/851_Squadron
Their were originally 14 ,all but 3 I think,were burned in Dec 1976 (598 and 604 were saved and rebuilt at HDH.One was already there undergoing refirb.597 I think it was.
Did a bit of time on them.

Checkboard
18th Sep 2010, 11:57
Grumman S-2 Tracker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_S-2_Tracker#Australia)

:rolleyes:

Fantome
19th Sep 2010, 04:09
What's the story on the Trackers lying about at West Sale?

Warm Ballast
19th Sep 2010, 05:45
They were bought by the late Peter Hookway - I think he hoped to make a killing on them like he did with the Canberras he bought quite some years before. Didn't happen. He ended up with two serviceable engines and fitted them up to one plane, flew it to Sale, took the engines off, trucked them to Nowra, fitted them on another plane and so on. I think his son Stirling owns them now.

Stationair8
19th Sep 2010, 07:26
Weren't plans in place to convert them to turbine power and use them for water bombing?

Warm Ballast
19th Sep 2010, 08:19
The turbine/water bombing conversion was certainly part of his plans but for lots of reasons didn't go ahead.

Captain Dart
19th Sep 2010, 10:58
There's an old Tracker pilot (me) itching to hear the sound of two Wright Cyclones at full throttle (alas no more purple fuel to give 56 1/2" of boost)!

An outstanding product of the Grumman 'Ironworks', and with turbine engines and a moderate avionics upgrade, these aircraft could be providing valuable service to the present day.

The Hawke Labor government is culpable for the way these aircraft were left to rot.

OZBUSDRIVER
20th Sep 2010, 02:51
G'day All,

We have been asked to spread the word regarding the Grumman Trackers held by Hookway Aviation at West Sale and their disposal.

If anyone has any interest in parts or airframes as a whole please contact Stirling Hookway via email at; [email protected]

It is my understanding they asking 50k per aircraft and are required to be sold by xmas next year (2010) and he is trying to honour his late father request they not be scrapped.

Feel free to mention you go his email from ADF-Serials as we have agreed to assist him where we can.

From ADF Serials Message Board (http://www.adf-messageboard.com.au/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1336)

Trojan1981
20th Sep 2010, 03:54
There's an old Tracker pilot (me) itching to hear the sound of two Wright Cyclones at full throttle (alas no more purple fuel to give 56 1/2" of boost)!
:ok:

The world is a poorer place without the growl of radials. Its the Caribous I miss, but I also remember (just) the Trackers flying around when I was a kid and 844 still going until the late '90s.
My father was friends with several old FAA aircrew and on several occasions in the early '90s my brother and I were shown through 844 and other historic flight aircraft. We also went out to have a look at the rows of Trackers rotting away :( .
If you are interested in details of Trackers in FAA service, and are seeking some specific information, PM me and I will see what I can do.
My father has mountains of detailed info on the FAA of old thanks to his association with the late Bob 'Windy' Geale and ML (of Pigeon House fame).

Engineer_aus
20th Sep 2010, 04:25
The RAN historic flight has their one up and running again, and the HARS tracker is in the "process" of being restored. It's a shame that they don't have the staff or money to get all their projects going at once.

ampclamp
20th Sep 2010, 11:48
trojan, mr dart,
I miss that sound also but not working on the grubby things!

Spent many thousands of hours working on big radial aircraft.