PDA

View Full Version : TVs Gone Digital

Fareastdriver
17th Sep 2010, 19:18
My wife has got a Sony Vaio PCV-W2. This is a cross between a desktop and a laptop. One of its features is that it has a TV RF socket and it has been used to watch TV in the bedroom. Aberdeenshire has gone digital so it doesn't TV anymore. A digital converter is no use as the Sony does not have a scart socket, the RF sockets merely being a route through.
I realise that the TV function is merely a program within the computer so doea anybody know of a program that will enable it to receive standard Freeview. There are lots of offers for worldwide HD programmes but that is not what we want.
All suggestions gratefully received.

tony draper
17th Sep 2010, 19:35
Dont think so,it would need digital tuners and that's hardware not software,I have a wee external digital tuner box that connect to the USB socket on the puter so I can watch the freeview channels on my puter monitor,only cost about twenty quid you can get the same kit that fits a free PCI slot internally as well
One could be wrong of course.
:)

vulcanised
17th Sep 2010, 19:46
Yes, 7dayshop.com do a USB freeview gizmo that was around £15 last time I looked.

Parapunter
17th Sep 2010, 20:43
Hauppauge Computer Works Ltd : Digital products (http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/prods_nova_external.html)

42psi
17th Sep 2010, 20:46
Hauppage WinTV-HVR usb stick

I have one.

It comes with a remote control and it's own software (if required) for managing the progs.

Also comes with a small ariel that plugs into the RF socket on the stick.

Well done Parapunter .. my typing's not so quick :D

tony draper
17th Sep 2010, 20:50
You need to be in a good reception area for the toy aerial to work, I do,line of sight to Pontop Pike and I still used the aerial on me roof,not the toy one.
:)