PDA

View Full Version : Naughty naughty Checkpoint!

BOAC
17th Sep 2010, 14:33
This am they tried 'scareware' and have received some abuse in the techy press for it

'Dangerous new virus (Zeus blah de blah) - you need to buy ZoneAlarm pro' - popped up as ZA (free) initialised.

A disappointing tactic.

MrBernoulli
17th Sep 2010, 19:45
Ah, so it wasn't just me! I was very suspicious of this when it popped up when I first booted my laptop this morning.

I closed the pop-up and went to Zonealarm's website, looking for mention of this virus - nothing. I even looked at Avast's website for mention of the virus - nothing!

What a load of hoop! :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
17th Sep 2010, 20:31
Me three!
Googoo recommended PC Tools Spyware Doctor, which, although free to download and scan now requires £s to remove the 738 infections (no mention of Zeus) that my resident Avast has failed to find (though it does tell me that 'some files could not be scanned').

Do I sit tight and utter loud 'Lalas' and hope that Zeus has disapppeared (the instructions that are returned by Googoo 'for removing Zeus' are far too complex for me to follow)?

Or is there another (free) definitive method that will scan my system (and remove the nasties)?

How do I interrogate (Free) Zone Alarm to see a log of what it has done to protect me? It tells me that 365 access attempts have been blocked - but doesn't want to reveal what they were . . .

BOAC
17th Sep 2010, 21:01
Firstly Checkpoint are trying to scare you into buying the paid version. The zeus infection is not established to be on your machine. Normal av protection, careful browsing and an occasional Mbam scan should keep you warm and cosy.

G-CPTN
18th Sep 2010, 08:54
Mbam scan reveals . . .

. . . nothing!

vancouv
18th Sep 2010, 15:59
I also got the message, and was a bit surprised as I only use the firewall bits of Zone Alarm, so I don't know how it would find any infection. Ignore.

BOAC
22nd Sep 2010, 10:47
"After listening to consumer feedback, we realised that it was misinterpreted and have turned the popup message off."