PDA

View Full Version : Instructor career advice

Slipstream86
17th Sep 2010, 12:42
I've had my PPL for 2 years now, and reached my 100hrs TT last month which was a nice milestone for me. :O

The last few months flying have been great, flying a 172 broadening my experience with some more expansive trips with my friends. Im starting to fall in love with the grass strip bashing scene! (wish I lived near a proper GA airfield!)

I've always wanted to be involved with aviation on a full time basis. Im really unhappy in my current job.... I work as an apprentice fitter at the Airbus factory. I guess I expected to be surrounded by collegues there who enjoy flying as much as me, but it seems most my work-mates are interested only in cars, bikes and "getting wrecked". Dont get me wrong...I love all three in small doses!

One good thing is that I am out of my apprentice time next month. I'll have double the cash to put toward enjoying my PPL! (so 10 hrs a month as opposed to 5). I'll soon be up to 150hrs, which obviously will open up some avenues for me.

I have plans for class 1 medical, CPL and FI courses when I have the hours. (should be able to get all that done by this time next year). I just cant justify the level of investment required for the multi IR. Is this going to affect my employment opportunities as an FI at all?

Im certain that instructing is the direction that Id like to go in. I know the pay isn't ideal, but currently spending 75% of my (apprentice) wages on flying and living off the other 25% - Im used to being a poor tramp! :}

Im open to the possibility of staying in my engineering job, and instructing at weekends. Is this a common arrangement or would it prevent me from gaining any employment as a part time FI?

Also, I'd be prepared to re-locate for a full time position (I'd go literally anywhere worldwide)

I'd value any opinions to my plans....Cheers!

Duchess_Driver
17th Sep 2010, 14:10
Sort your class one out as soon as you can. Just in case there are any nasty suprises lurking. Hate you to spend all that money and then find out.

You don't mention your plans/progress for CPL groundschool....again, start this as soon as you can and get it out of the way.

We have instructors who don't have Multi IR's and the route that you suggest is probably the way I'd recommend you went. Multi IR is a difficult thing and if you can get as much experience as you can before attempting it then so much the better. It is possible to be part time FI with or without Multi IR and it depends upon the current CFI/HOT as to who or what he employs. Very difficult to be specific.

My advice, stick with the engineering / do the training while the slump is on, start off part time (if you can) then when you and the market are ready.....

HTH

DD

FI-A
18th Sep 2010, 07:10
In my case, I got one of my first instructing jobs based on the fact that I didn't have my multi/IR. Lots of people came through the school asking for jobs, but the HT wanted one or a few that wouldn't go anywhere in a hurry.

Get your FI and CPL, but be aware that instructing is little about flying and lots about people. The romantic ideas I had of flying disappeared quite fast. Still a great job for a couple of years though, but one has to realize that it is a - job. Instructing PPL and even CPL wears on you and a natural progression for you would be to continue teach multi/IR or flight instructor candidates.

Good luck!

Slipstream86
18th Sep 2010, 16:29
Thanks for the replies.

Sort your class one out as soon as you can. Just in case there are any nasty suprises lurking. Hate you to spend all that money and then find out.

You don't mention your plans/progress for CPL groundschool....again, start this as soon as you can and get it out of the way.

We have instructors who don't have Multi IR's and the route that you suggest is probably the way I'd recommend you went. Multi IR is a difficult thing and if you can get as much experience as you can before attempting it then so much the better. It is possible to be part time FI with or without Multi IR and it depends upon the current CFI/HOT as to who or what he employs. Very difficult to be specific.

My advice, stick with the engineering / do the training while the slump is on, start off part time (if you can) then when you and the market are ready.....

HTH

DD

DD... I was going to wait untill I had the 150TT in the logbook before booking my class 1 or starting exams. I just dont see the point in starting the clock ticking on exam lapses until I am actually in a position to start the flying side of things. I havn't even decided wether or not to do the whole ATPLyet. If I Just did the CPL exams, then I'd be kicking myself if the multi IR becomes a worthy investment in a few years time. :}

RTN11
18th Sep 2010, 16:31
Since I first started my PPL i dreamed of being an instructor, and it really didn't disappoint. A year into the job, I'm fully qualified and have now sent 3 students solo who I've taught from scratch, very rewarding.

The job can be frustrating at times though, particularly when the schedule is full, but the weather is just awful. It's hard to make a proper living from it, maybe £10-15k a year for PPL instruction, but I'm hoping it will continue to be fun for a couple more years, by which time I will hopefully be on a better wage teaching CPL.

As has been said, it really is all about people. Making a good impression on any potential employer, and when you land that job making the trial lessons as breathtaking as possible to get more students to sign on to the course.

Often the school you did your PPL at, or the school you do your FI at may offer you a job, as you are already known to them. Perhaps talk to them now about any vacancies they will have, let them know what you're doing, and regularly attend any club events so all the members know who you are.

Duchess_Driver
18th Sep 2010, 19:54
I have plans for class 1 medical, CPL and FI courses when I have the hours. (should be able to get all that done by this time next year).

Sorry Sliptream.....I was working on the above timescales.

And how long are the CPL and ATPL exams valid for thesedays? If you want to instruct then you are still going to need to demonstrate CPL level knowledge even if you don't do the flying element of the course. Without the flying element you can't earn money as a JAA PPL instructor.

PAPI-74
18th Sep 2010, 20:16
What a shame BALPA are so bad at their job and haven't achieved a tax free status on commercial flight training.

They really are a joke.

Slipstream86
18th Sep 2010, 22:23
Sorry Sliptream.....I was working on the above timescales.

And how long are the CPL and ATPL exams valid for thesedays? If you want to instruct then you are still going to need to demonstrate CPL level knowledge even if you don't do the flying element of the course. Without the flying element you can't earn money as a JAA PPL instructor.

As I understand it, the exams are valid for three years beyond the date of the first exam. I have always intended to do the exams (just havn't decided on which ones yet)

I guess timescales depend on how long it takes me to get the next 50hrs in. On reflection, adding CPL and FI in a year would be a little ambitious!... (DD you're right in saying that I'd have to start the exams now) :}

I think I'll just wait until I have the 150hrs and accept that it's going to take me longer - Which I assume is a good thing ...." then when you and the market are ready" as you put it.

Since I first started my PPL i dreamed of being an instructor, and it really didn't disappoint. A year into the job, I'm fully qualified and have now sent 3 students solo who I've taught from scratch, very rewarding.

RTN - Thats exactly what im looking forward to...

hotcloud
19th Sep 2010, 10:01
Hi Slipstream86

From a personal point of view becoming a full time PPL Instructor was the best thing I ever did. It is so rewarding and as mentioned previously it’s about passion and the ability to relate to people. It seems like you really have a passion for flying and that is certainly a quality you need.

For my sins I have been flying for 27 years and still love it, of those 27 years, 13 years have been instructing. Being realistic though, I knew that it would be an impossible dream to become a full time PPL instructor initially and therefore I opted to become a part time instructor. Had the best of both worlds a secure job and a hobby I loved. I can concur as mentioned previously the ball park figure for a full time PPL instructor is about £10,000 to £15,000 per year. The harsh reality is that it would be very difficult to manage on that wage without another source of income. In my case I was lucky enough to be offered early retirement thus enabling me to achieve my dream as a full time PPL instructor.

In the UK by far the majority of PPL instructors are self employed, therefore a run of bad weather can be detrimental to your finances and it can then be stressful if you are relying on instructing as your sole form of income. I wish you luck though and if you have the finances to meet your dream, go for it.:)

'India-Mike
19th Sep 2010, 10:18
Slipstream86

As I understand it, the exams are valid for three years beyond the date of the first exam. I have always intended to do the exams (just havn't decided on which ones yet)

It's three years from the end of the month that the LAST exam was taken. Buys you a bit more time:ok:

Slipstream86
19th Sep 2010, 11:32
I take on board what you guys are saying "It's all about the people"

That does make a lot of sense to me already. I really do want to be more involved with aviation people. That's pretty much the reason for my gripe with my steady(ish) engineering career! :bored:

Slipstream86

Quote:
It's three years from the end of the month that the LAST exam was taken. Buys you a bit more timehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifAhh, thank-you for that IMike. I wish I had all the answers myself!... then I wouldn't be on PPrune... hehe :}

Cue Lasors hyperlink!