PDA

View Full Version : Airline full time vs VIP freelance

Teddy Robinson
15th Sep 2010, 16:00
Posting this on behalf of a lady flight attendent, currently flying for a regional airline, earning reasonable money, and it's stable. She is also an aspiring photographic artist, her work is being very well recieved locally, and is being supported by a high profile local gallery.. her venissage grossed € 3600 !
The airline offers the opportunity to go a part time contract btw.

BUT home is a 3 hour drive away, so she can only get back every few weeks.

She has potentially the offer of a freelance position cabin crew on Citation XL, based close to home, which she hopes would cover her living costs, car loan plus her tuition fees for a photographic degree, the operator also has full time staff. Much of the flying would be in the former USSR plus there is no creative support, exposure or network available to her in her home town.

What would you advise ?

TR

Teddy Robinson
15th Sep 2010, 18:41
I appreciate this looks like a personal decision, I believe what she needs is some advice regarding the income stability of attaching herself freelance to a biz jet operator vs staying in the employed sector.

My experience when I was in a similar company with a similar sized company was not good .... naturally the full timers did all the flying & I picked up the crumbs , maybe a few people in the industry can say whether anything has changed !

Thanks TR

silverware
15th Sep 2010, 19:28
Stay with the airline if it is stable and pays bills!
Freelancing can be very rewarding if the operator pays well, but it is far from stable and a one-man/woman show compared to an airline where you have a bigger crew.

ashlea
15th Sep 2010, 19:34
What are the contract outlines for the freelance position? Is it a fixed amount of time, say 6 months only?

Teddy Robinson
15th Sep 2010, 20:17
my understanding is that they are only offering her freelance end of ... but I will check details... that means own health insurance, tax etc etc ...

Teddy Robinson
17th Sep 2010, 11:19
see above .. thats all it is .." we will call you " and "at the moment we are busy".