PDA

View Full Version : Chequered Background - Does it Cause Problems?

whissper
15th Sep 2010, 12:16
Hello

Does a chequered background cause problems for employers especially if coming from a completely different industry/profession?

I've had feedback from an employer who turned my application(apprenticeship) down on the basis I have not had enough stability in my employment history. I had half a dozen jobs of less than 12 months duration (and some less than 6) in a profession that has nothing to do with aviation. I have reasons for each and every move I made (some were forced onto me so out of my control) and others were a choice. Yet nobody is bothering to find out why?

So now I reach a point where I might have to "lie" about my work history if I want to try and get into the industry (and deal with the consequences later) and then be honest.

Being honest has proved a stumbling block and not the best policy.

HubNuts
15th Sep 2010, 18:53
If you truly have nothing to hide, then why tell any lies, because sooner or later it will come back and bite you in the a***. Getting into the industry is not easy, but finding that opening takes grit and determination,something many can associate themselves with,and without lying as it were, sure be economical with the truth but be truthful.

As say for example you want to work on the line in a u.k 145, you need to submit for a Criminal Records Check, also supply the local Airport Authority with records of previous employment, which if you just simply say company has gone bust or words to that effect then they can simply request that you provide evidence from Her Majesty's Tax Office, which will indicate your employment history in the form of previous tax codes, highlighting dates and times of employment.

The main piece of advice is to keep knocking on doors, making calls, and try to get some form of works experience at a local light airfield,if there is one nearby..If there is not one nearby then just continue to explore all avenues and be honest in your approach.

I wish you luck :ok: