PDA

View Full Version : DVD Head Cleaners

TopBunk
15th Sep 2010, 11:44
OK, it's for my Panasonic DVD recorder as part of my AV system, but the question is, do they work?

My Panny plays DVD's without problem but has started (first with DVD-R and now with DVD-RW) to give a 'no rec' message, suggesting that it can't record to the media (and yes the -RW discs have been formatted).

Any thoughts from the community?

Mushroom_2
15th Sep 2010, 14:39
I tried one on my laptop DVD -RW and it didn't work.:*

green granite
15th Sep 2010, 15:53
If it's just a dirty lens then yes it may well work but then so will Isopropyl-alcohol on a cottonbud.

Spitoon
15th Sep 2010, 18:02
In my experience of many optical drives and players over the years, dirty lenses are rare where the optics are enclosed. Occasional read or record errors have invariably been the first indications of a failing optical block.

TopBunk
15th Sep 2010, 19:50
Thanks guys

Interestingly i think I may have got to the bottom of the problem.

It may be that the recording on Sky+ was indicated (somehow) as being protected (albeit it was a free to air broadcast channel).

What I do know, is that the machine does work when I try recording something else recorded on Sky+ onto the same -RW disc. I will investigate further with -R discs any various recordings.

AnthonyGA
15th Sep 2010, 20:05
DVD and CD players use light to read and write discs, so there's no physical contact that might produce debris or dust, and no contact that might produce dust-attracting static. I don't recall ever having a problem with any DVD or CD player or writer that could be traced to dirty heads.

Failures are usually due to problems with the light source or detector (unrelated to dirt on components), or with the disk motor or drive.

I'd actually be reluctant to clean DVD or CD heads, because they optics are precise and any kind of residue left on the optical components could diminish their precision and potentially cause errors.