PDA

View Full Version : rostered hours and shift patterns...

TwoDeadDogs
15th Sep 2010, 11:02
Hi all,
Our Boss wishes to impose a 12-hour shift pattern for line maintenance: 2e, 2n, 4 off to start and finish at 8am.We are using an e,l, n shift which is all over the place and very tiring to work.No-one objects to a 12-hour shift or a 4 on, 4 off, as such, but it's the 8am finish which is pissing us off, as it would leave us hitting the usual heavy morning traffic/winter weather,etc,etc. He also claims that night shift doesn't start until midnight, which we dispute.He claims it to be with the CAA guidelines and the Working Time Directive.
Can you guys post up your rosters as a comparison or suggest workable alternatives?
regards
TDD

spannersatcx
15th Sep 2010, 13:29
I'd say put up with 2 8am finishes out of 8 days and enjoy the 4 days off everytime!

I'll swop my 6 on 2 off anyday!

Wodrick
15th Sep 2010, 15:48
I worked 2d,2n, 4o all my working life and found it fine, think about the leave situation as well !
If as you say all are up for the change can you not negotiate a different start time. I mostly did 7 - 7 but in the later stages we went to staggered start and finish times, some 6 - 6, some 7 - 7, and some 8 - 8 to ease the handover process and help the seven o'clock ish departures. Worked for us.

mrmagooo
15th Sep 2010, 16:19
The 6-6 is best for 7 am departures. By the time the crew turn up and break stuff its the new shift on ready to tackle the job. Rather than you working it for 45 mins then handing over.

There are a few possible shifts, one I am aware of is 5on 4off 4on 5off, and it gets you 2 weekends in and 2 weeekends off.

TwoDeadDogs
15th Sep 2010, 22:53
Thanks Lads,
Our man has a fixation on 8am, which we don't feel is of any use to us.A lot of us prefer the 4, 4 system so we may end up doing it his way.
regards
TDD

ampclamp
16th Sep 2010, 00:30
8pm until 8am sounds awful.
Driving home really tired in heavy traffic is not wise from an OH&S point of view.
It is best to be in bed before daylight or asap. I've done 12 hour 4 on 5 off or 4 on 4 off for many years.Usually 6 until 6, plus or minus an hour.

The long 12 hour nights can be a killer but so much better than 4 (or more) 8 hour nights in a row.

Will you get rostered days off as you work too many hours in 4 *12 hour shifts? Days in lieu of public holidays? What penalties apply or will you have a fixed salary?

TwoDeadDogs
16th Sep 2010, 09:17
Hi ampclamp et al,
We don't want the 8am finish because of the health and safety risk.I've already had one crash from falling asleep at the wheel after nights so I don't need another.So have other lads on the crews.Our H&S guy is a company muppet who agrees with the Boss so he's no good for us.0730 finishes aren't much better but avoid the worst of the traffic.Ideally a 6-6 or 7-7 would do.
regards
TDD

Beeline
16th Sep 2010, 11:16
We work x2 days. 06.45-18-45 then x2 nights 18.45-06.45

Perm nightshift however, work 20.00-07.00

They get one extra leave day aswell due to them accumulating less time off??????

Make sure you agree your fixed meal time breaks, these are unpaid due to them squeezing in with the EU working hours directive. As I recall it reduces your hours working. May need an official to correct me on this matter?

Good luck

VillWill
16th Sep 2010, 13:37
Having worked 4 on 4 off permanent nightshift ( 8pm - 8am) for the last 4 years i have to say that the 4 off is enough of a sweetener for the deal. You only have to do 2 night shifts out of 8 after all and if you can't maintain yourself for that period then maybe shift work isn't for you. You will have 2 days and then nearly a full days rest between starting your night shifts.
Believe me the 4 off is perfect, you know exactly when you are on and off, planning things for your social life is much easier etc.
Of course living the right side of the airport for morning traffic is important but i think overall it will work out in your favour.

ampclamp
18th Sep 2010, 12:11
I'm not sure where you are, but Adelaide uni have a Dr Drew Dawson who is an expert in the field.I think they have produced booklets and guidleines for extended hours rosters.
If you can produce documents by experts in the field those making the decisions may be forced to comply with a more humane shift start / finish.
To go against the advice of experts after being told is putting your head on the OH&S chopping block.
4 on 4 off is fine but the late finish is less safe and makes sleeping more difficult.