PDA

View Full Version : GSS recruiting

ETOPS
14th Sep 2010, 12:49
Saw this in "Flight"

Vacancies

Due to anticipated expansion with delivery of three B747-8F aircraft next year we have vacancies based at Stansted, UK, for:

B747-400F/-8F First Officers

The minimum qualifications are:-

Total Time 3000hrs with 500hrs on multi-engine turbine
Valid CAA/JAA ATPL with Class 1 Medical
The right to work in the UK
Preference will be given to pilots with Jet Airliner experience

Previous applicants are asked to reapply.

Frequently Asked Questions (updated 09 September 2010)

CVs should be sent to Kim Jeffery, Global Supply Systems, Room 13, Stansted House, Stansted Airport, Essex, CM24 1AE.
Tel: 01279 682908.
Email: [email protected]

Iver
14th Sep 2010, 14:48
Isn't the pay ridiculously low for this operator? Are we talking regional wages to fly a 744F worldwide?

cessnapete
14th Sep 2010, 15:27
Yes, lowish pay but they are awash with applicants every time they recruite.
Lots of people would like a rating and fly a B744F or new B748F worldwide for that money.

A very friendly and efficient operation. More than can be said for some non- UK cargo operators,

Firestorm
14th Sep 2010, 15:40
9k upfront deposit is a bit of a steep one though! I know it's refundable, but still a big cheque to write at the start of a new job! But it is a billion times better than anything that Easy Jet or Ryan Air have got to offer.

Deep and fast
14th Sep 2010, 17:36
:mad: that was a waste of an e mail.

D and F :8

Coffin Corner
14th Sep 2010, 18:05
In what way D & F ?

Deep and fast
14th Sep 2010, 19:47
I'm a little short of £9000 at the moment. But maybe they have a funding stream available.

D and F :8

binsleepen
14th Sep 2010, 21:48
ETOPS

Thanks for the heads up, I applied this afternoon. I spoke to GSS HR and they said that they were looking for around 20 FOs which is encouraging.

I agree that £9000 is a bit steep but you do get it back in months 19-36 unlike the £30000 or so you have to pay easy, jet2 or ryan. It certainly appears to be the best gig in town at the moment although things do seem to be accelerating quickly in a positive direction.

Regards

Busbar
14th Sep 2010, 22:31
Having done a thread search, it came up with a lot of interesting things about GSS. However, it all appears to be several years old now.

Does anybody have any new information about the current interview process and how the Pilots feel about the company at the moment?

It appears to be a good opportunity and it is nice to see that things are picking up at last!

Good luck to all those that apply :ok:

hotelmodemetar
15th Sep 2010, 07:05
[QUOTE]Yes, lowish pay QUOTE]

How much?

Firestorm
15th Sep 2010, 07:14
the salary is quoted on the frequently asked questions page.

169west
15th Sep 2010, 07:57
Did Boeing fix the pressurization problem on the -8?

Mister Geezer
15th Sep 2010, 08:21
Time to command? :E

Coffin Corner
15th Sep 2010, 08:46
26 years ;)

169west
15th Sep 2010, 09:01
26 years

from the end of training and if you are lucky!

CLB-1
15th Sep 2010, 09:51
Any sign of staff travel? I understand there's none at the moment.

San Expiry
15th Sep 2010, 10:13
'Benefits include away-from-base allowances (£2.00 per hour, plus £10 per hotel night overseas)- do I read that as £10 night-stop allowance? Wouldn't buy a beer in some hotels I know.

And is BA still parachuting new captains in?

free at last
15th Sep 2010, 10:33
All you are going to is a gear switch jerker as the BA guys will do that to you. The 800 has no gear handle. Good Luck.!

zeddb
23rd Sep 2010, 12:25
Anyone heard anything yet?

binsleepen
23rd Sep 2010, 12:39
Hi,

I haven't. I rang them early last week and spoke to HR and she said that the Chf Plt would be reviewing all the applications in between trips so it might take up to 3 weeks to hear back.

Regards

Deano777
23rd Sep 2010, 12:59
Nothing, but then I only sent the CV off yesterday.

Anyone know anything about the interview process?

169west
23rd Sep 2010, 13:03
Nothing, but then I only sent the application form off yesterday.

Didn't know there is an application from! Dude can you please explain, thanks!

Deano777
23rd Sep 2010, 13:20
Sorry 169west, that is misleading, I meant my CV :)

zeddb
23rd Sep 2010, 15:32
binsleepen: thanks for the info. I spoke to lady K as well, very friendly and happy to answer questions.

Deano: My info was that it involves a chat with two or three interviewers and thats about it. No mention of simulators but it could depend on experience level etc.

Anyone here type rated? ( I am but not current).

Propellerhead
24th Sep 2010, 09:58
I believe BA FOs are still getting commands in GSS, but this is fair enough as it is flying BA cargo which was originally in-house. This is a long standing agreement with BALPA which allows BA to use a 3rd party cargo operator.

Mach_Krit
24th Sep 2010, 12:16
Hi all,

I was just wondering what kind of experience all of you have that applied for this position? Thanks for the replies

21-Lancer
24th Sep 2010, 13:00
Something like
"[...] Your application is being considered and
we will be in touch with you again as soon as possible. [...]".

Anyone else?

Brix
25th Sep 2010, 10:28
If the majority of the company is British, are the same measures to apply constant pressure on the pilots applied as elsewhere, i.e. checking, grading, reporting? Or is this regarded as 'old fashioned'?

zeddb
29th Sep 2010, 17:10
Getting close to 3 weeks now. Anyone had any contact? Really don't want to pester by ringing up.

Coffin Corner
29th Sep 2010, 17:53
Nothing here yet zeddb

manxcat
29th Sep 2010, 20:51
Hi all,

Not having the experience to apply for a FO position, I wondered if GSS employ Second Officers on their 747 fleet as TNT did/do?

Any advice greatfully recieved.

The Cat :ok:

Mach_Krit
29th Sep 2010, 20:55
nothing here either...

bleeds off
29th Sep 2010, 21:24
Why would they advertise such relatively low minimums if they know the market is flooded with highly experienced pilots ?

....3000 TT / 500 hrs multi-eng turbine....:bored:

zeddb
30th Sep 2010, 09:05
Why would they advertise such relatively low minimums if they know the market is flooded with highly experienced pilots ?

1: To gauge the market? see who's out there. There are other UK airlines recruiting or about to, including Virgin and BA.

2: Many more experienced guys are heading off to the Middle/Far east where the money is significantly better and you are more likely to get a command inside of ten years. Very important to some.

3: The minimums will exclude the p2f tribe and the hordes from OAT/CTC etc so it can't be all bad. About time experienced guys got a look in after the last 18 months. Some of us depend on this business to live.

4: The difference between the minimum requirements and the experience levels of those actually taken on could and probably will be significant. All market driven as usual.

Coffin Corner
30th Sep 2010, 09:09
Zeddb

Point 4. In which direction? Up or down?

buzzc152
30th Sep 2010, 10:14
Anyone know approx how many flying hours/year with GSS ?

What would be the total gross pay including FDP, hotel allowance and salary in the low-mid £40k ?

Thx

zeddb
30th Sep 2010, 10:30
Point 4. In which direction? Up or down? Given that most UK recruitment in the last year has been almost exclusively "cadets" and most future openings at other UK operators will be going the same route, there are a significant number of experienced pilots unable to get anywhere as a result, I would therefore imagine that the level will be up.

I have in excess of 8000hrs and a lot of heavy jet time, including the 744 and I have been sitting at home for the last 12 months whilst 200hr guys off the OAT conveyor belt have been getting what few jobs are available at the likes of J2 and Ryan and Flybe (and paying for the privilege) I very much doubt that I am the only one.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people "having a go" with 1500 hrs on TP's and good luck to them but GSS will probably have a largish number of people with a lot of relevant experience to choose from. I know that the aviation world has gone collectively crackers over the last year or two but I reckon experience will for once count in this instance. I certainly hope so.

Unless of course, everyone else has gone to Emirates.:}

Coffin Corner
30th Sep 2010, 10:43
I see your point zeddb, but just as a side note I wonder how many guys/gals like yourself are actually sat at home with the relevant hours/experience that are ready to fill all the positions they have? Current and employed jet pilots right now would do well to take the job with GSS and come out of it with a salary increase based on what they are offering. It is for this reason that I have applied, I come in just shy of the 3,000hrs required and I would absolutely love to work at GSS, freight is the way forward :} . Time will tell I guess.

CC

zeddb
30th Sep 2010, 10:52
Coffin,

Depends on how many positions they have. That depends on how many of the 744's are staying on. If all the new aircraft are replacements then they will only have to fill positions due to retirement/leavers. From what a previous poster has said, that has yet to be finalised.

Given that most LH operations operate at approx 8/9 crews per aircraft depending on the percentage of heavy crew operations the numbers could vary from bug*er all to a reasonable number.

Sadly the batteries in my crystal ball have run down so I'll be waiting to see the same as everyone else.

Those of us at home on hoovering and shopping duties do have the advantage of being instantly available even if we have started to forget what all the buttons and things do.

Good luck anyway.

dustyprops
30th Sep 2010, 10:53
Apparently GSS "swamped" with applications according to a mate thats trying there. He's been told they have significant numbers current on -400 that have applied. Wonder where they are from?

monkeyferret777
30th Sep 2010, 10:55
what would be the monthly take-home pay inc hotel, away-from-base allowances??

Coffin Corner
30th Sep 2010, 11:02
Zeddb

Thanks, and to you. You need it more than me so I hope you get the job :ok:

dusty

It does make you wonder, especially as the salary isn't the best in the world. A decent pay rise for me though :}

mf777

Based on the info on their website you could work out a rough figure, I have come up with about £4.5k per month gross.

CC

zeddb
30th Sep 2010, 11:06
Apparently GSS "swamped" with applications according to a mate thats trying there.Hardly surprising. See above.

He's been told they have significant numbers current on -400 that have applied. Wonder where they are from?Remember that a large percentage of the captains are BA first officers, many of whom may be flying the 400. That could be one explanation.

Possibly the other UK 744 operator is not the paradise that it is rumoured to be?

Maybe from elsewhere in Europe or beyond. Didn't Mexicana just fold? No idea if they operated the 400. Air Atlanta also springs to mind

Reading some of the Middle Eastern threads, lot of people trying to escape and very unhappy etc. I'm certain that there are one or two 744's kicking around out there plus those who fled to the sandpit with ratings and want out.

Don't you just love all the waiting and speculation? I'm off to take another zantac for my ulcer.;)

talentsc0ut
30th Sep 2010, 17:54
as a marginal applicant for the advertised GSS positions but one of the many "redundo" hopefuls.

Any thoughts on the flightglobal newsflash of the delay until mid 2011 0f the 747-800f and it's consequences to the GSS openings.

zeddb
30th Sep 2010, 19:34
By all accounts the first delivery was not due until mid year so may not make any difference. The recruitment may also be covering people leaving/retiring and it will probably take at least 3 months to get on line, add that to a 3 month notice period and you are looking at least 6 months from say November/December.

Any delay to promised delivery will probably incur a penalty to Boeing which could cover the cost of a leased aircraft for a few months. This has all happened before with the 787 and A380 introduction to service. The customers will have been told before the press and no doubt plans are in place.

Alternatively the whole thing might be off or delayed. Have wait and see won't we.

In the meantime my zantac shares are doing well.:p

binsleepen
4th Oct 2010, 11:51
Its all very quiet at the moment so I recently rang GSS to find out what's happening. Lots of applications received so prority going to guys with TRs but not enough of them for the number of places available. Main requirement is the 3000hrs and 500 ME turbine.

The delay in 747 8Fs will have no effect on things. They are drawing up interview list at moment with invites going out in next 3 weeks.

All the best

Calmcavok
4th Oct 2010, 15:30
No mention on here of the £9k you'll have to pay them if hired. A problem for anyone?

Honiley
4th Oct 2010, 15:45
Nope! But thanks for asking...!:suspect:

21-Lancer
4th Oct 2010, 15:50
Lucky you!
;)

Honiley
4th Oct 2010, 16:13
Sadly the wifes dosh!:(:{

21-Lancer
4th Oct 2010, 16:25
:D
you're just right!

Firestorm
4th Oct 2010, 17:21
Massive problem, but only if I get an interview and pass it!

169west
5th Oct 2010, 08:37
@binsleepin
thanks mate, and now also BA open!

INNflight
5th Oct 2010, 14:30
Hi folks,

Just saw that Cargolux is also advertising to hire "a small number" of F/Os in 2010 for a May 2011 start (as per Interpersonal website).

Min. requirements:

JAA ATPL
min. 2500hrs TT and 1000hrs jet
B744 TR preferred

Need to relocate within 1hr of Luxembourg, but conditions are not too shabby I hear.

Good luck.

wince
5th Oct 2010, 15:01
Conditions at Cargolux or Luxair (also recruitment by the way) are among the best in Europe. Decent salary, they pay for your ratings, good social security, pension, loss of licence etc etc.

Calmcavok
6th Oct 2010, 00:02
So £9k for a job is acceptable these days? I don't understand, especially for a job that requires you to have experience. This will not be your first job! Okay, so you do get it back from month 19, but I'd just be really interested as to why experienced folk feel that they should pay several grand in order to provide their experience and service to a company.

Gi Dem Dub
6th Oct 2010, 02:33
Hi,

I've been trying to assess the monthly take home after tax for the new joiners.
I'm not familiar with the UK tax system but from what I found on the web, £42,971 falls in the 40% taxable band, which leaves you with £25,782 neat as a basic salary. So here goes:

Monthly basic
25,782 / 12= 2148

Per diems/allowances:
17 days away: 17days * 24hours * 2 = 816
16 nights: 16 * 10= 160

Total:
2148+816+160= £ 3124 :hmm:

Does that sound about right...?
Anyone to comment or correct ?

thx

Dan Winterland
6th Oct 2010, 03:40
No. The rate is not a flat 40%.

0 to 6475 is unrated.
6476 to 37,400 is at 20%
37,401 to 15,000 is at 40%

So tax payable on 42971 would be 8413 leaving 34558 divided by 12 = 2879 a month. But you will also have to pay UK national insurance (a welfare tax thing) which will be several hundred pounds a month on top.

Whatever, it's still rubbish pay for widebody long-haul. And don't ever rely on per diems. You could be sick, on leave or just not rostered.

superced
6th Oct 2010, 06:29
so low salary ... amazing...

Dimiair
6th Oct 2010, 07:33

Deano777
6th Oct 2010, 07:57
Dimiair

See post #49

Gi Dem Dub
6th Oct 2010, 08:15
thx for that Luchbox and Dan...
.... wonder how comes experienced applicants -some even type rated -are lured by such a low pay really... ex MK maybe :confused:
I reckon most are props driver for whom the move would actually be an improvement. Other than that, can't understand...

potkettleblack
6th Oct 2010, 08:43
At a most basic level its supply and demand. Looking deeper I would say its a combination of TP people thinking they are getting a great deal and naivety as a whole.

I wonder how many of the pay to fly brigade will jump from somewhere like Ryanair thinking I don't mind going to work for sh*t money cos its a big jet and a stepping stone onto something bigger and better. Their plan will be to stay for 2-3 years and then get into Big Airways now that they have heavy jet experience.

Problem is that in taking what is a pitiful amount of money to fly a 744 it brings down the T&C's at Big Airways and the grass is no longer greener.

bleeds off
6th Oct 2010, 10:42
Would anyone from within mind telling how they like it regarding:

Roster pattern
Do they use 3 men crews
Number of sectors / landings per trip
How fun is the flying... ie do they get to do much hand flying ...

Many thanks :ok:

Posh boy
6th Oct 2010, 10:58
I know BA and BALPA have agreement on third party flying cargo for them. One thing I don't quite understand is why BA FO's get priority at command in GSS, GSS being a separate entity, which has nothing to do with BA's seniority list in the first place.
If this is the case, and considering money offered, then you're better off going to some low cost.
Or did I get it all wrong?

Yellow Pen
6th Oct 2010, 11:15
One thing I don't quite understand is why BA FO's get priority at command in GSS, GSS being a separate entity, which has nothing to do with BA's seniority list in the first place.

They don't get priority they get 50% of the command vacancies. It's the price BA management pay for the freedom to operate large freighter aircraft outside the BA mainline seniority list.

zeddb
6th Oct 2010, 16:45
Gents, I am not within GSS, merely a humble applicant but having done LH for many years maybe I can answer a few of your questions,

Money: No it isn't much, you can earn a lot more flying for BA or VS but you will work a hell of a lot harder. Cargo ops often entail lots of waiting around and positioning so total hours flown will be less. Also rosters as per the website FAQ's show 2 or 3 trips per month lasting up to 7/8 days. With BA or VS you will do up to 6 trips per month with minimum days off in between. Take it from one who knows, that is not a lot of fun if you are commuting. Not much fun even if you live near the airport for that matter.

So in short, you will earn that extra 500/1000 quid per month and remember the taxman takes a huge chunk at every available opportunity.

Many of the GSS FO's are older guys who may be on a pension from another company with lower retirement age or those who have paid off their mortgages, kids left home and want a nice number to get them away from the missus a couple of times a month. Money is very important when you are younger and have a growing family and large commitments. Once those factors go away, it is less important than lifestyle. One of the few benefits of getting older. Apart from saga holidays of course and the chance to embarrass your children.

It sure is a difficult one to fathom. Such low FO pay might be OK if upgrade were ultra quick, but it isn't because BA FOs nick most of the commands.Show me any company where widebody commands are ultra quick. Maybe VS in the mid 1990's but not any more.

BALPA negotiated this little gem as BA use GSS for their cargo ops. There is no secret about it so if it is a show stopper for you, don't join. Worth noting that any cargo work not for BA and any extra aircraft as a result does not fall under this rule.

almost double the pay can be had by flying the 744 in Europe, and even more in China or Korea. So go to China or Korea then. They have very strict age limits for FO's (50 in China and 45 in Korea, I know because I tried.) Not the nicest places to live for a European but if it floats your boat then go for it. Be well worth reading the relevant section of Prune to find out what it really is like. Age and other discrimination may be outlawed in Europe but it most certainly isn't in Asia or the Middle East.

I wonder how many of the pay to fly brigade will jump from somewhere like Ryanair thinking I don't mind going to work for sh*t money cos its a big jet and a stepping stone onto something bigger and better. Their plan will be to stay for 2-3 years and then get into Big Airways now that they have heavy jet experience.First off BA are not looking for heavy jet experience. The shortfall is in 737/A320 and is likely to remain so. Again in the heady days of the last 10 years before the banks did their thing, it would be an advantage. All the signs are that BA can fill their LH requirement from within for the forseeable future.
I may of course be wrong but you may as well save yourselves 9 grand if this is your master plan. If you can afford to write off all that money then buzz off after 2 years then good for you. However the recruiters will be more than aware of this and may ask probing and difficult questions. I know this because I have been in recruitment and used to do just that.

I reckon most are props driver for whom the move would actually be an improvement. Other than that, can't understand.The requirements give preference to those with jet airliner experience. No reason why you couldn't transition from a Q400 to a 744 but you would need a lot of training. GSS are quite small and probably don't have the capacity.

Number of sectors / landings per trip
How fun is the flying... ie do they get to do much hand flying ...Long haul FO's spend a lot of time as heavy crew. That means no flying, you just operate the radio in the cruise. On the plus side you will become expert at crosswords. Expect 3 landings per month. Maybe.

As for hand flying, if you want to hand fly at the end of a 12 hour overnight sector in horrible weather into busy airspace then you probably also like self flagellation. You will also be increasing the workload of the equally knackered captain who may not thank you for it. The most hand flying you will do is in the simulator every six months and maybe occasionally on a nice day into somewhere quiet. If you want lots of flying and sectors, do short haul. This is also why most LH operators insist on a level of experience for you to fall back on when the autopilot trips out or the ILS throws a wobbly in poor vis and you are having major problems keeping your eyes open.

Fun? well yes but it's a job. A very routine one at that. Once you get over the fact that it is a large jet, then it's no different than sitting in a 737 except you get to do it for much longer periods. The flight deck isn't that much bigger either. If you want comfort and lots of space for your dinner tray, fly an Airbus.

Hope I've answered a few questions for you LH aspirants. If it is for you and you apply, go in with your eyes open. And all the very best of luck to those applying.

S44
6th Oct 2010, 18:30
Zeddb

Very nicely summed up.... and I'm in GSS!

zeddb
6th Oct 2010, 19:28
S44, check your PM's

Z

Yellow Pen
6th Oct 2010, 21:06
As zeddb said so well, if the BA command aspect is a dealbreaker then don't join. The last time I checked GSS was flying exclusively for BA World Cargo. The deal for BA is they can effectively outsource their own cargo flying if they give their own crew a shot at 50% of the command positions. If you get rid of the BA command option then you also get rid of the GSS command option as the flying has to go back in-house at BA, or more realistically BA World Cargo withdraw from the dedicated freighter operation and go back to buying space on other operators aircraft. You may find the long time to command distasteful but it's a necessity of the operations existence.

Akrapovic
6th Oct 2010, 22:25
So what happens to GSS if BA Cargo decide not to use them any more . . . . ? Surely that's a big 'if' . . . .

FlyingTom
7th Oct 2010, 07:36
One solution: join BA first and then bid for a GSS command. They are recruiting.

But I can assure you it isn't that quick either. :)

21-Lancer
7th Oct 2010, 12:51
Many thanks, zeddb!
Very cristal & precise.
:ok:

73addict
11th Oct 2010, 11:05
Hi all

Coffin Corner
11th Oct 2010, 11:27
Nothing yet.

midnite
13th Oct 2010, 15:39
Hello, I have an interview with GSS in a couple of weeks. I would be grateful for any information anyone may have about the interview process and also about terms and conditions. If there are any GSS pilots reading this I wonder if you could provide any information about typical rosters etc?

Coffin Corner
13th Oct 2010, 16:01
midnite

Can I ask your experience and type please?

Thanks

CC

bleeds off
13th Oct 2010, 17:07
PM for you

zeddb
13th Oct 2010, 17:18
No idea what they might ask non type rated guys but as a general principle, do a bit of research on the company (plenty of info on the website), find out a bit about the nice new shiny thing that will arrive in due course (just go to the Boeing site) and make sure you know your current type, because they probably will.

Friendly and informative but fairly searching was my experience. (I'm type rated).

Any other questions you can ask them on the day, all will be made clear so no point regurgitating it here.

Good luck and hope to meet some of you in due course.:ok:

bleeds off
13th Oct 2010, 17:24
zeddb

Congrats and thanks for your very informative contribution :ok:

bleeds

alex73
13th Oct 2010, 18:24
Has any non TR'd pilot been called or contacted (positive and/or negative feedback)?

I'm a pilot without TR and I'm trying to understand wether they'll be calling pilots in my same situation.

Anybody with any clou on this?

Thanks guys for any answer.
Alex

midnite
14th Oct 2010, 08:29
Hi zeddb,
Many thanks for the info.
Was it just the one interview? Was there a sim check too?
cheers.
M

zeddb
14th Oct 2010, 10:42
Was it just the one interviewYes

Was there a sim check too?No

Always an idea to be prepared though. You never know what evils may be in store when it comes to selection .:E And no, that's not a hint just an observation after doing these sorts of things over a long period.

Try a search on this site under "GSS", lots of good stuff.

homebuilt
15th Oct 2010, 22:43
Had an interview with GSS 3 years and a half ago. Have been 744 rated for 5 years. The interview was spent with 2 senior captains and the chief pilot of the airline. As far as I remember the interview was mainly dealing with the theorics you find in books such as "ACE The technical pilot interview". No tricks, nothing odd, very friendly. No simulator check ride. I passed the selection process.

But I chose not to join the airline, mainly due to payroll and those Command position seniority problems (already with BA guys).

Hope this helps,

H.

alex73
21st Oct 2010, 08:01
Hi there,
everything went silent....does anybody has some news or infos regarding interview / selection progress?

I applied, had receipt of application but no other clue...the crew request has already been satisfied?

William A Bong
21st Oct 2010, 13:55
Just for information.

We have been told that there have been over 800 applications. But only about 14 that are type rated. Some with as little as 10 hours on type.

I have no idea exactly how they will be filtering the CV's but it will obviously take time to review all of them properly and decide who to interview. Also we still have not been told how many of the -400's will be staying in the fleet which will affect how many extra crew we need.

21-Lancer
21st Oct 2010, 19:54
Interesting. :ok:
Thank you!

Dan Winterland
22nd Oct 2010, 04:40
I was interviewed in 2002, one of the first when they started. Was about half an hour and absolutely standard stuff. I was type rated, so a couple of type tech, a couple of general tech and the usual "What would you do if the Captain reported the worst for wear for drink?''. May have changed since then, but GSS is a fairly traditional company.

Was offered the job, but didn't take it. Not enough peanuts for this monkey!

zeddb
22nd Oct 2010, 12:00
about 14 that are type rated. Some with as little as 10 hours on type.

10 hours on type? blimey, what happened there? did they get rated then resign, get laid off or did they buy the rating from whoever it is that is flogging them?

Be interesting to know how much they shelled out if it is the latter, bet it was more than 9K. Almost as bad as handing over 25 grand (non refundable and up front if you please) for a 737 classic as one particular loco is asking people to do.

Was offered the job, but didn't take it. Not enough peanuts for this monkey!

Fair comment Dan but it's a whole lot better than bug*er all and bills to pay as is the way with this particular simian king of the swingers.

Anyone else starting in January?

Coffin Corner
22nd Oct 2010, 12:22
Well it would have been nice to have an interview, let alone a start date.

Good luck Zeddb :ok:

zeddb
22nd Oct 2010, 14:56
Sick, that's interesting I didn't know AA were in that game. I wonder what the experience levels of those who paid for a rating is? There are not many if any LH outfits who will employ you with less than 2.5 - 3000 hours on largish aircraft, rated or not so I would expect them to be fairly seasoned operators although generally most of those who buy a speculative type rating are at the low end of the experience scale. That's a lot of dosh to take a chance on.

Perhaps they were promised employment by AA and then shafted? BMI did that to a mate of mine many years ago, in which case AA will definitely not be getting a Christmas card this year.

Best of luck to everyone else who has applied.

Jordiejet
26th Oct 2010, 00:10
Anyone heard anything? Any idea how many positions there are?

binsleepen
26th Oct 2010, 09:20
JJ, Try reading the whole thread in particular post number 8!

spongebob
29th Oct 2010, 19:30
Just wondering if anybody has heard anything from GSS. I applied a while back but heard Nada!!!

JB007
30th Oct 2010, 16:03
Much appreciated update Widebody, thank you.

midnite
31st Oct 2010, 11:02
Hi,
I haven't much to pass on, just that yes they are interviewing. I was there last week and I saw a couple of others who looked like they were there for an interview. As someone said earlier they may be doing them as and when they have the interview team in the office.
Good luck.

Michael737
9th Nov 2010, 12:17
I have made an application with GSS a couple of weeks before. Did anyone know s.th. about their selection?

alex73
25th Nov 2010, 18:16
Hi all,

everything went silent, at least for me.

Could anybody give a positive feedback about application process, i.e. finished, frozen or in progress, possibly somebody from inside? Just to understand wheter to believe in a possibility.........

Thank you for any reasonable answer.

non0
25th Nov 2010, 18:45
they are calling TR pilot first/only and everything is set on a 'first come first served'

Gi Dem Dub
15th Dec 2010, 12:01
Posted today in flightglobal

B747-400F/-8F FIRST OFFICERS - 1401052667 - Flight Jobs (http://www.flightglobal.com/jobs/job/b747-400f-8f-first-officers-stansted-1401052667.htm)

alexb757
23rd Dec 2010, 21:13
Hmmm,........has anyone else noted that this latest ad (the flightglobal.com one) is markedly different than the earlier one by sister magazine, Flight International? In three, separate areas and which may affect certain candidates' eligibility.

The original ad said: Valid CAA/JAA ATPL; Preference will be given to pilots with Jet Airline experience and Previous applicants are requested to re-apply. I believe this is also the exact same description on GSS's website under vacancies.

Now, this flightglobal one gives the following twists: (other ATPLs considered); preference to type-rated pilots and Previous applicants should not re-apply.

BIG difference wouldn't you say? Almost sounds comical, that last statement. First you do, then you don't. And what about otherATPLs? Could that possibly be true and if so, which ones?

I guess Kim might know the answer but it's not that this is a small spelling or grammatical error; these are significant differences. Or maybe they simply didn't have much luck with their earlier ad and changed a few things.

Intriguing, none the less.......:hmmn

Enypekim
3rd Jan 2011, 18:24
Let me clarify a couple of things....salary isn't the best but not terrible, pension is matchd by the company up to 9%, roster is quite flexible and trips can be long or short to suit lifestyle, 18 days days work per month, fixed schedule with little or no adhoc work.
The reason that very few leave GSS is that the time to command can be as low as 4-5 yrs, the Ts & Cs are good, approx 400hrs per year so not too labour intensive and most importantly its a great company to work for.
Not to mention a 747 400/-8 type rating.

flydog
6th Jan 2011, 01:01
they are trying to make out there are no pilots available here so can take all the atlas applicants

Flightmech
6th Jan 2011, 10:45
From what i heard from a current crewmember the issue is that it is undecided at this time how many of the -400F's are staying once the 3 -8F's are delivered. I believe they are currently playing it safe and recruiting on the basis that one of the -400F's will stay (4 aircraft fleet). However, it may turn out that 2 or even all 3 will stay and recruiting will increase.

A pumps
30th Jan 2011, 11:09
Morning all

Im just wondering if anyone has any further information on the recruitment progress ?

Does anyone know what the interview involes and how much notice you expect to receive if successful to be called for an interview ?

Does the lady in charge Kim reply to any emails ?

Firestorm
31st Jan 2011, 07:01
I know of one mate who has been given a job with them, so I am guessing that the recruitment is complete for this time.

A pumps
31st Jan 2011, 09:31
Hi. Was your friend type rated ?

zeddb
31st Jan 2011, 14:39
The 747-8 has possibly been delayed by Boeing so at the moment there are no firm delivery dates. Also no one yet knows for certain how many of the 744's are staying once the -8's start to arrive. From what I understand, recruitment beyond those already offered positions is on hold for the moment.

The 787 is suffering more delays (delivery should have started in 2008) so perhaps Boeing are pulling out the stops to get that into service as a first priority.

Apumps, there is at least one full course going through (ie non type rated). Not too sure about numbers.

atila_101
1st Aug 2011, 09:43
Put my papers online some time ago, never heard again... Would some care to elaborate??? are they still calling guys or all the seats are taken???

cheers.

adolf hucker
1st Aug 2011, 20:02
Atila,

I was invited for an interview back in May and subsequently offered a place in the hold pool pending clarification of GSS's pilot requirements. As I understand it, the 3 existing 400s will be replaced by 3 747-8s. There may be work for some of the current 400s but that is by no means certain. If contracts are found for the 400s, then there will be a requirement for more pilots.

I believe they have interviewed sufficient into the hold pool to cover that eventuality. The situation is far from clear.

atila_101
2nd Aug 2011, 03:15
thanks Adolf, appreciate your info

zeddb
2nd Aug 2011, 09:45
The big hold up at the moment is the lack of a delivery date for the 747 - 8.

Having said that, difference courses have been running for a few weeks now so some news may be imminent.

The last lot of new entrants are currently undergoing training. There are some more being placed in the hold pool in the eventuality that one or more of the -400's stay.

Still a number of type rated guys and gals amongst the new entrants. Quite a number of retirements over the next two to three years plus a handful leaving for pastures new which is why the recruitment has been ongoing.

Things will become a lot clearer when delivery dates for the -8's are firmed up.

And that is as much as anyone knows or is admitting to. :p