PDA

View Full Version : Baron / Islander ratings in NZ

aleech001
14th Sep 2010, 09:33
G'day, thinking about getting a rating in either a BN Islander or a B Baron - can anyone recommend flight schools / clubs that have these aircraft and that have treated you well? Cheers

Jober.as.a.Sudge
14th Sep 2010, 09:55
For the BN-2, have a yarn to Phil Kean at Mainland Air in DN

27/09
14th Sep 2010, 11:01
I don't like your chances as neither type are the sort of aircraft that schools/clubs would generally have on line.

Jober.as.a.Sudge
14th Sep 2010, 11:33
hmmm... brevity perhaps precluded thoroughness...

Whilst Mainland does not have a BN-2 on-line, if anyone is going to make an airframe available for training, it will be with PK in the R seat. He has the contacts. Have a yarn to him -if you're serious.

calogero_vizzini
14th Sep 2010, 20:33
If you're in the north have a yarn with Fly My Sky/Mtn Air or Great Barrier Airlines. They'll be sure to have a d-cat to give you a rating.

mattyj
14th Sep 2010, 21:36
think theres only one baron in the whole country..privately owned and lives in the Bay of Plenty somewhere? Don't fancy your chances
ZK-OSL

Aerozepplin
14th Sep 2010, 22:25
I know of three in the country, one being OSL. There's another recently registered to a North Island aero club, so maybe you'll have a chance to fly one in the near future!

mattyj
14th Sep 2010, 23:15
right WLV aparently in New Plymouth at the aeroclub..you might be in luck!

theres a Beech 95 B55 listed too but not at a school or club

NGsim
15th Sep 2010, 03:41
Speaking as someone with around 500 hours on an Islander, I can't for the life of me work out why you would want to buy a rating on one!!!! It's highly unlikely to make you more employable to the operators in Kiwi-land that fly them as they'll be training you anyway on their routes etc. A baron may help you find work in Aussie if you've got the right time to go along with it.

If however you want Islander time just for fun...... then for a fraction of the cost i'm willing to jump on a trampoline you're sitting on and simultaneously wail on an electric guitar with the amp turned up to 11 until such a point as a CAA doctor tears up your class 1 medical, thus simulating 5 hours on an Islander :}

aleech001
14th Oct 2010, 18:39
Got some options now, thanks for your help. Cheers A

Capt Fathom
15th Oct 2010, 10:57
as someone with around 500 hours on an Islander, I can't for the life of me work out why you would want to buy a rating on one!!!!

Ahh... maybe to get 500 hours on one! :ok: