PDA

View Full Version : Pilots of Australia - Meeting 27 September

Eastmoore
13th Sep 2010, 22:04
All Pilots of Australia: Meeting

What:An all Australian Pilot meeting to develop a response to the career threatening FSO 136/10 and especially the off-shoring of Australian jobs by Jetstar Airways (Qantas Group member).

When:1pm on Monday, 27 September 2010

Where:
Mantra Tullamarine Hotel, corner Melrose Drive and Trade Park Drive, Tullamarine VIC.

Some on-street parking is available and paid parking is accessible at the rear of the hotel.

The venue is a 5 minute drive from Melbourne Airport - CLICK HERE (http://www.aipa.org.au/tabid/125/ctl/EmailTracking/mid/510/Default.aspx?linkID=453&[email protected]) to view a map.

To assist us in hiring the correct room size, please RSVP by emailing [email protected] ([email protected]) or [email protected] ([email protected]) or call 03 9938 3898.

All Australian Pilots that are not flying at this time, regardless of AIPA, AFAP or non-union membership are encouraged to attend.

This will definitely affect the career of ALL Australian Pilots.

mustman
14th Sep 2010, 01:54
Its your turn Melbourne. Make us proud!

rmcdonal
14th Sep 2010, 03:18
Anything going to happen this time or are you just going to write another angry letter?

Di_Vosh
14th Sep 2010, 04:01
Hey buddy,

I'll go to this one (and proxy you) and let you know!

DIVOSH!

Mr.Buzzy
14th Sep 2010, 04:12
I'll bee there.

Bbbbbbzzzzzzzz

unionist1974
14th Sep 2010, 08:13
C''mon Comrades time to put up or shut up. I am sure there will be a big turnout for this . Won''t there!

apache
14th Sep 2010, 11:13
so.... what was resolved, and what action has happened, bnased on the last meeting?

or was it like a meeting of "The Judean Peoples front'? (from Life of Brian) ?

seriously!!!! I would like to know.

Mr. Hat
14th Sep 2010, 12:04
Mr. Hat has the day off and will attend!

flyby
14th Sep 2010, 22:08
No we are not the The Judean Peoples front
Were the pilots front of judas
SPLITTER
:ok:

DutchRoll
14th Sep 2010, 23:07
so.... what was resolved, and what action has happened, bnased on the last meeting?
Well, to be fair, it's pretty rare in any industry to "resolve" something in a single meeting - especially the first one on a reasonably complex subject with lots of legal issues! Even rarer (and a little rash in this industrial climate) to shoot from the hip and take some sort of "action" without seriously considering its effectiveness and consequences.

So I think the point of the first one was to mainly gauge the level of concern out there and hear some opinions.

Hopefully the second one will progress a little further than that. One step at a time, apache. One step at a time, and let's not shoot ourselves in the foot.

Muff Hunter
15th Sep 2010, 06:38
mods, can you make this sticky!

teresa green
15th Sep 2010, 07:50
Maintain the rage fellas, or you'r stuffed.

Fonz121
15th Sep 2010, 08:34
TEN Video Player: Watch Full Episodes and Exclusive Video Interviews (http://ten.com.au/video-player.htm?channel=News+Daily&clipid=2683_news-pilots-150910&bitrate=300&format=flash)

Popgun
15th Sep 2010, 10:52
I'll be there.

PG

nomorecatering
15th Sep 2010, 12:01
Will have to ask the boss for the day off...........count me in.

Should we attend in uniform or civies.

bubble.head
15th Sep 2010, 12:58
I think getting Nick Xenophon on board the campaign will be highly beneficial.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
15th Sep 2010, 13:09
Please do not knock The Judean Peoples Front, remember that back then even Pontias was a Pilate.

Terrible puns asside; C'mon Melb. Keep up the momentum! I've got bugger all money but I'm tempted to bite the bullet, ride the Tiger and join in from Adelaide.

FRQ CB

Shrags123
16th Sep 2010, 16:28
Should we attend in uniform or civies.UNIFORM! It's all about professional standards! Do you think the public will be impressed by a bunch of so-called professionals turning up in jeans and T-shirts?? Hopefully the press cameras will be present if the PR machine is running. If you don't want uniform then make it a nice suit or jacket and tie. I'll be there boys and girls, hope you are too. Make it a big one.

Di_Vosh
16th Sep 2010, 22:17
In uniform (I'll be there, but leaving early to sign-on) :ouch:

aulglarse
17th Sep 2010, 13:23
I'll be there in sunny Melbourne, dressed for all seasons!

Alloyboobtube
18th Sep 2010, 00:49
The wearing of uniforms on off days is a breach of the employee code of conduct, and may lead to dismissal, especially if you are a trouble maker.
The Melbourne meeting may as well be a polling booth where guys bid for their commands by nominating the salary they want, this way the company can save more money .
Dont forget security will trawl the staff carpark to look for people parking on their days off.
IF YOU DONT LIKE IT LEAVE. Its not winnable !:ok:

Desert Busdriver
19th Sep 2010, 02:37
Alloyboobtube.....you are an idiot! A pilots uniform does not have to be company issue. I am sure the boys can come up with an old white shirt and tie. Just a professional image my friend.

Mr Pilot 2007
19th Sep 2010, 07:41
Wearing a pilots uniform is Ok, but I wouldnt wear any company insignea, or your current employers issued uniform, just to be on the safe side.

Most have an old uniform they could wear.

Popgun
22nd Sep 2010, 05:59
Anyone have any idea what sort of numbers we can expect? Hopefully a similarly good showing as in Sydney...

Any chance that Senator Xenophon (or his staffers) will be in attendance?

PG

FFG 02
23rd Sep 2010, 02:27
In the last 20 mins I spoke to AIPA and this meeting will be

CANCELLED AT 1500 TODAY unless sufficient replys are received in the office.

Call 03 9938 3898 and confirm your attendance to Koral.

Then get out your mobile and sms every bloody pilot you know and get them on board. If you don't do this within the next 2.5hrs - we're all stuffed.

Popgun
23rd Sep 2010, 06:13
A lot of guys/gals have been a bit slack in RSVPing....but I just spoke with AIPA HQ...Meeting is DEFINITELY on...a flurry of phone calls and texts to interested parties has ensured enough RSVPs to conduct the meeting.

See you at the Mantra, 1300 Mon 27th.

PG

Popgun
26th Sep 2010, 22:00
If you're not flying today, get yourself and your mates along to the Mantra Hotel at Tulla at 1pm today!

Cheers,

PG

whatever6719
27th Sep 2010, 08:17
So how did it go?? Hope u guys can maintain the rage.

Mr. Hat
27th Sep 2010, 21:52
Has the momentum gone? Whats the latest from the Jetstar camp?

Normasars
28th Sep 2010, 01:07
Mr Hat,

By the deafening silence I would say that not a hell of a lot went on. The "momentum" has somewhat slowed.

Popgun
28th Sep 2010, 03:53
I was there. I didn't take notes, but here is my recollection...

There was somewhere between 50 and 100 in attendance. Most guys, overwhelmingly, were from QF, with smaller numbers from Jetstar and a few from Virgin Blue and Tiger. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any from the Regionals and GA...perhaps to do with the fact that no publicity of the meeting was placed in mainstream media.

Not nearly as many as the Sydney meeting but numbers were expected to be lower for several reasons not least of which was the rapidly unfolding IT fiasco at Virgin Blue...

The tone of the meeting was united, defiant and deeply passionate that our profession had to be rescued from this dangerous path.

There was a feeling that the 2 major issues (Off-shoring and 200 hour FOs) had galvanised the industry now to stop the rot in its tracks. Many guys I spoke with said they hadn't seen this sort of unity in more than 20 years.

An identical no-confidence motion in BB was carried unanimously by the group.

Senator Xenophon was spoken of warmly and considered key to the fight.

Cohesion, unity and collective industry focus were mentioned by all speakers...and considered essential to success.

This aspect was particularly highlighted by the Transport Workers Union speaker who assured the audience that the rest of our aviation industry colleagues (Baggage handlers, FAs, Refuellers, ATCs, Customer Service etc etc) were 100% behind us.

The meeting was advised that management had closed the door on further discussions and so the course ahead meant publicity campaigns and/or legal challenges. AIPA's legal counsel felt that an effective publicity campaign was the smarter choice.

Further, there was some explanation from a Jetstar pilot regarding the 'September to Remember' campaign. He said that the success of this campaign would not be known until the data for September had been analysed down the track but that he would not be surprised if a lot of efficiencies disappeared as individual pilots ceased going beyond what they were contracted to do.

The legal guy confirmed that doing just 'what you are paid to do, and no more' was acting within the law and could not be seen as an illegal industrial action.

A few free bevvies were had by all after the formal meeting and everyone I spoke to felt that the meeting was a success. It continued the momentum of the Sydney meeting...and there was talk of perhaps another meeting, the next one in BrisVegas.

PG

Roller Merlin
28th Sep 2010, 05:11
Thanks for the info popgun. Myself and quite a few others planned to go but got called in. Virtually everyone I know at JQ at the moment are rostered for max hours and getting flogged. No wonder only a few could actually make it.

Popgun
28th Sep 2010, 23:16
I think the idea of a further meeting in South East Queensland is a good one....in order to keep the momentum rolling...as well as to connect face to face with pilots who are based in cane toad country.

What does everyone else think? Good idea?

PG

Razor
30th Sep 2010, 20:14
Bring on a SE Qld meeting

Popgun
4th Oct 2010, 01:23
As was acknowledged at the MEL meeting, AIPA are willing to put on another 'All Pilots' meeting in BNE if there is enough interest demonstrated.

All who care about our industry need to confirm that there is MORE than enough interest.

I recommend everyone email AIPA (or AFAP if you prefer - or both if you are not a member of either) and confirm their interest in attending (or watching via webcast) a proposed next meeting in BNE.

Lets continue to increase this momentum. Participate!

PG

PS. If you're not gonna be able to get to BNE then email them and let them know you would like to watch/listen to a webcast on the internet. AIPA and AFAP email addresses are found easily on their websites.

The Green Goblin
6th Oct 2010, 13:18
I'd suggest approaching the CEO unsolicited and probably half full of booze is not an appropriate course of action.

Regardless of what BB stands for, he is still a person and entitled to liberty after work hours without a bloody moron telling him how he thinks it is, and should be.

There is a reason why the industry has gone to the poo in NZ as well as Australia. Pilots have accepted the conditions on offer. You (and we) only have ourselves to blame.

Lets hope we can now fix the mistakes of our peers who went before us :D