PDA

View Full Version : Avionics workshop engineer. What is it like ?

Cavalryman
12th Sep 2010, 12:56
Good day to everyone !

Could you tell me please something about avionics workshops ? Which education is usually demanded by employer and how is it going there ? :) I am interested in this job.

Now I work as CAMO engineer (trainee). Unfortunately, this job is mostly about sitting in office, reading FAA and EASA publications... Also, I do not gain experience on real A/C, so this position will not help me to get B1/B2 license...
It is bad, mkay ©.

Now I have a bachelor degree, and there is possibility to study for master degree in electronics. So who is usually working in avionics shops: former and experienced B2 maintenance engineers or young geeks with master or PhD degrees in electronics ?

Best regards. :)

Cavalryman
12th Sep 2010, 16:40
Thanks for reply, ASFKAP.
By the way, what is your occupation now ?

It is very hard to decide for me which way to go. Taking into account dramatic unemployment in my country, it is wise to stay at current work... and hope, that I could be transferred to maintenance some day. From the other hand, master (mg.) degree in electronics may help somehow also... :)

flame_bringer
13th Sep 2010, 00:07
Hi Cavalryman
Having been to mena aerospace avionics workshop in bahrain for 5 months for a training I can give you some perspective on the thing,
1- Do not go for that job the salary is not so good (The workshop supervisor earns around 900 bds) given all the work you get to do there.
2- It's exactly like what asfkap said the exp is not counted as a 145 exp and thats what the EASA auditing guy said to me strictly when he was auditing the workshop out there when I asked him.
3- The ones I'v met there don't even have an aircrafts maintanance license they all possess a bachelor degree in aerospace engineering (not quite aerospace engineering actually but they do the same subjects almost it's something to do with aircrafts radio and eletronics I'm not sure what is it called though) and most of them complain about the job and wish they've done the EASA66 training instead.
I disagree a bit with asfkap at the hands on part as there is lots of work there they do troubleshooting as per the overhaul manual and using PCB schematics and sometimes it can be troublesome you cannot fully rely on the test equipment as it's only there to confirm the fault and to do the final test.
You might get a job as an avionics workshop technecian but trust me it's not what you want if you're looking for a bright future.

piggybank
13th Sep 2010, 00:56
Cavalryman

I reckon you can do better out of aviation, with more interest in the job, travel and certainly more pay.

As a starter Google for Solar Gas Turbines, also an agency like ssr-personnel.com. Look at robotics, turbines maintenance (they supply the training, great if you are electronic bias. Turbine controls are a good payer.

Aircraft maintenance is hard to get a foot in the door and won't be a good earner for many years. You take a lot of responsibility for which you are rarely rewarded adequately.

Get out, stay out and make some real money. That's my advice.

Cavalryman
13th Sep 2010, 18:11
Flame_bringer, thanks ! This is exactly what I wanted to know about 'shops :)
I think there is no night shifts for shops workers, right ? This could be an advantage in comparison with LAME...

piggibank, you know, actually I feel somehow that you are right about aircraft mechs. :)
During my university course I had practice (for 1.5 months) in one aviation company, in line maintenance. First night I came we had A8 check on B737 (not NG) and I was "designated" to the wing, also there was a lot of "bad" screws... that day I lost some amount of romantism about aviation and started to think. That's why I am trying to ask you all guys. :)

Thank you, piggibank.

flame_bringer
13th Sep 2010, 18:40
you're welcome
And there is no such a thing as shifts at the shop duty starts at 8 30 am and finishs at 5 pm 5 days a week, and at the weekend they close down.

Alber Ratman
13th Sep 2010, 18:41
Get yourself a "rattler" (t bar snap) and bad screws are not a problem.. Picking the paint does help as well.:E

flame_bringer
13th Sep 2010, 18:55
Speaking of the bad screws, This is by far the worst thing I'v come across in the aviation industry it can be so time wasting and aggravating it just drives me bonkers when I encounter one.:ugh:

Alber Ratman
13th Sep 2010, 22:27
No it is not.. Been using versions of your "Grolly bar", for years. Pain in the butt if you are doing balance panel access and the screws are seriously chewed!! sometimes Mr Snap Ons screw extractor is the only realistic solution (including a good quality cobalt bit).:{

Saintsman
15th Sep 2010, 10:31
Thread drift I know, but talking about screws, I does cause a certain amount of annoyance when people bugger the screws when removing panels for maintenance and then fail to order new ones.

When you are rushed trying to get it all back together at the end of a check is not the time to find out that you have no screws:ugh:

Alber Ratman
16th Sep 2010, 17:58
That is very GASH....:E

piggybank
20th Sep 2010, 09:57
Keep a small tin of valve grinding paste in your toolbox. Use it with the Phillips screw fitting on your screwdriver to get a good grip on the screw head.

Buy yourself a ‘speedy brace’ so you can really get some weight onto the screw. This is particular good on main rotor blade cover plates where a slip can be very expensive.

If you have no penetrating oil, mix one part of sewing machine oil with three of kero, it will penetrate anything. Leave the impact driver at home!