PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard?

tony draper
11th Sep 2010, 18:03
Gonna ugrade me machine shortly,a AMD 111 CPU and DDR111 memory,this is the motherboard I have at the mo,lost the wee booklet I got with it but it says AMD 111 ready on the box it came in but dont mention DDR 111 though,do you reckon I need a new MB as well?
more expense,:{

Sorry this is a lnk to the MB
ASRock > Products > K10N78 (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K10N78)

aerobelly
11th Sep 2010, 21:14
MB looks about 3 years old to me (I don't study them closely though). If you're putting in new CPU and memory get a new MB to match IMO. A new power supply wouldn't hurt either, and might be needed by new MB because of connection changes. Cheap PSs don't last long anyway.

BTW using a separate video card instead of on-MB makes upgrading other bits a lot easier, and cheaper.

If you're doing this hardware upgrade yourself wear an anti-static strap! (Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir.)

'b

tony draper
11th Sep 2010, 22:38
Been building me own puters since the days of the 486 built and upgraded dozens of them, only ever had one PS go bang on me,got a 1 gig Geforce 9400GT pci E Graphic card in this machine recon that will do on the new MB
Used to surf all the hardware techy sites one time but haven't for a couple of years so I is out of the loop as they say.
Thank for the help.:ok:

Mr Optimistic
11th Sep 2010, 22:51
Are you just changing the mobo or changing the cpu as well ? Overclockers forums are pretty good for advice. Just upgraded mine with an AMD Phenom II thing and a micro-atx mobo (about £70 each). Power supplies have changed though (connectors) but mine still works even with an old psu with not quite upto date connector.