PDA

View Full Version : Airbus FMS type of faults seen

AGE 13
11th Sep 2010, 14:31
Sorry to be a complete biff here folks but i'm trying to find some information on the Airbus 380 Flight Management System (FMS) or a similar version used in Airbus aircraft or indeed any of the more modern users of computer managment programs within 'glass' cockpits.

I am trying to build a list of possible faults that would be generated either on start up or seen in flight and handed to the engineers on landing.

I don't need specific fault criteria, i just need the generic or typical indications of the fault that would be presented on either the MCDU or the PFD/ND's.

The reason i am asking is that i am trying to put together an ad-hoc training package with examples for new members of my team and at the moment we have little or no experience of faults as the system is running with no failures.

Thank you in advance for any help :bored:

TURIN
11th Sep 2010, 21:12
If you can get access to an MEL there is a list of ECAM/EICAS messages at the front.

I can't help you with an MEL but someone might, if you ask nicely. ;)

AGE 13
11th Sep 2010, 22:29
Turin, thanks for your reply.

Consider me asking nicely, as i have no access to a Minimum Equipment List. I have seen the list of possible ECAM / EICAS messagesbut i was looking more for the ones the actual flight crew would give us, as in 'it wasnt doing this' or 'it was doing that'. Can anyone help?

And thanks again.

spannersatcx
12th Sep 2010, 08:00
try a search and you WILL find MEL's.

AGE 13
12th Sep 2010, 10:25
sorry. told you i was a biff! I'll be right back.

AGE 13
13th Sep 2010, 16:14
Ok, it's not me, i'm not being a biff. I've searched and found several versions of the MEL for the A320 - A380, none of which i can access so back to square one folks. I need help... boy do i need help !

Over to you folks, and again, thank you in advance for helping the electronically challenged.

Swedish Steve
14th Sep 2010, 12:16
I work on the ramp on A320 and A330.

I have been sitting here for a while trying to think of any that I had seen.
All I can think of are due to other systems failing. Like Primary GPS, or the other FMC, or alignment problems with the IRUs.
The only one I can think of that is only FMS is Nav Data base out of date!
and of course when it doesn't work at all.
As a tech the FMS either works or it doesn't. Its a box of tricks. If a CB reset doesn't do it then it's in the MEL, and you either use the other one, or you LOW (look out of the window!)

AGE 13
15th Sep 2010, 23:10
Steve,

Thanks for the answer mate. That kind of confirms what i thought but i needed someone who's worked on it to actually confirm my assumption. It did seem that its a very intelligent box, it tells you when it's broken or it's not getting the right information, i.e. another system is not feeding it correctly and it juat needs changed.

Thanks again for the info mate.