PDA

View Full Version : Which sound card for Windows 7?

tow1709
11th Sep 2010, 08:08
I want to get an internal 5.1 soundcard as an upgrade to my son's Hewlett Packard desktop machine. It was new just before last Christmas, but I can't remember the model number. The computer runs (preinstalled) Windows 7.

The machine's only PCI-E slot is already occupied by a graphics card, so I need to get one which is just PCI.

Some sound cards I have seen on the shelves mention Vista on the box, but no mention of W7. Some shop staff tell me it "ought to work, but bring it back if it doesn't", but I would rather avoid this option if I can.

My son is reasonably computer literate, so he could download and install drivers if necessary, but does anyone know of a card that will work straight out of the box with W7 even though it doesn't say so on the tin?

Many thanks.

Bushfiva
11th Sep 2010, 09:14
You could also get something which connects through USB. Depending on what you get, you can then get physical volume controls, etc.

Saab Dastard
11th Sep 2010, 10:49
I have been satisfied with the Creative Audigy soundcards I have used - particularly with the Live front panel / digital I/O accessory.

The Sound Blaster Audigy SE is PCI, and seems reasonably priced - at least in comparison to their other products!

Creative have a web page that gives information on Win7, including what cards have native Win7 or Creative-supplied Win7 drivers:

Creative Worldwide Support (http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61373)

SD

Parapunter
11th Sep 2010, 11:33
In reality, your options are limited. Creative are by far the biggest supplier in the world & whilst you can go with Asus or Aopen, you'll often end up with Creative technology on the card. Money no object? Auzentech.

I'm not saying for a second you should discount Creative, but if you do go with them, make super sure that you can get the correct drivers - when Vista came along, Creative refused to offer updated drivers in an effort to force users to buy new cards. A user - Daniel-k, hacked the drivers & posted them up for any Visat user to download, Creative threatened to sue him, the whole sorry affair got into the I.T. press & Creative were shamed into backing down.

Just be sure you're supported with Creative.

Mr Optimistic
12th Sep 2010, 13:48
I agree with SD, presumably you are dissatisfied with the motherboard sound ? overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SC-040-CL&tool=3 shows reviews and everyone seems happy. Cheap enough too.

al446
12th Sep 2010, 21:03
I am not sure I understand the original question, a few years ago it was necessary to buy an expansion card if you wanted anything approaching reasonable sound as on-board was rubbish. A few years ago I bought a top of range Creative Audigy 2 pro only to find that their drivers were crap. A machine of age described should have on-board 7.1 of good quality, if not you need to say what you want to do with it as that would greatly determine choice.

I would add that part of my background is in professional audio and I find on-board acceptable but I am no longer working in a studio.

hellsbrink
13th Sep 2010, 07:45
As far as the drivers go, if it says it's Vista compatible then there shouldn't be any issues, just install the Vista drivers and all should be hunky-dory.

Now, I dunno about you guys but the first thing I do with any "new" peripheral is go to the manufacturer's website and get the latest drivers before I install the *whatever* so I know I should have the latest and best drivers available, and it also rules out the chances of a bad driver CD buggering up my system (that has happened before, so it's a case of "once bitten, etc").

Mike-Bracknell
13th Sep 2010, 16:21
The Creative Audigy does indeed support W7.

BTDTGTTS.