PDA

View Full Version : Tristar or Melbourne Flight Training?

aaronb
11th Sep 2010, 07:24
Hi All,

Who would be the best school to go to? I've had a scout at all and like these 2,
Looking for GFPT \ PPL?

I am looking for feedback on instructors and aircraft?
I'm keen on a good 1 on 1 where ill be looked after and not just treated as a number that hands over money (like the school im at now!)

Thanks,
AG!

ReverseFlight
11th Sep 2010, 07:46
You'll find a lot of good reviews for MFT in these forums, so go for it.

As for Tristar, no wonder their prices are the cheapest at MB. A couple of close mates of mine got bitten when they started their GFPT/PPL there. They were constantly scolded and belittled by their instructor. They were not given adequate ground instructions and weren't informed they should record their flights in their logbooks. Now, with an unfinished course, they then tell me of their predicament of trying to change flight schools without any recorded hours to show for. :ugh:

aaronb
11th Sep 2010, 07:49
Yes i noticed that, they seem to have the cheapest rate in all of YMMB.
I've been told cheapest is not always best!

OzFlyGuy
12th Sep 2010, 00:38
Up front - I'm from MFT :D

Things you may want to consider are fleet - age and condition of aircraft, also facilities available for ground theory instruction.

MFT is proud to have a well maintained modern fleet of aircraft, and regularly conducts theory classes for BAK, PPL, and CPL. Others - IREX, Garmin G1000, GPS etc are on demand.

Our flight simulator is the Elite Evolution iGate S623 Digital Flight Training Device.

ZappBrannigan
12th Sep 2010, 03:12
I've never trained at MFT but can certainly vouch for Glen (owner/CP/CFI) - he's a very honest, straight-up, professional guy (a rarity in flight training organisations) and I've only heard good things about MFT. Oh and for the record I have no affiliation or interest in the company whatsoever.

aaronb
12th Sep 2010, 06:34
Hmmmm seems like MFT get the big thumbs up, the dual rate between MFT and Tristar is $76 for the C152 that is the only thing that is holding me on my decision.

Anyone here train or hire from Tristar?

OzFlyGuy
12th Sep 2010, 06:43
First up - am from MFT :)

Things you may need to consider - age of aircraft in the fleet vs. rates.
Overall balance of instructors and their experience, both in G.A. and other operations - RPT, charter etc.
As some of your time will be on a simulator - the quality of the simulator facility, is it a wooden box with monitors, or something much more sophisticated for the modern digital age?
Also, does your choice have regular ground theory classes - we have BAK, PPL and CPL being scheduled for 2011 atm. Other subjects - ATPL, IREX, G1000 etc on demand.

And finally, the atmosphere of the organisation. Is it full of egos, or is everyone there to have a good time while getting on with the job.

Hope these comments help :D

Goat Whisperer
12th Sep 2010, 06:46
I was a brief but satisfied client of MFT, best professional and friendly attitude I've seen at MB since Troy Aviation mid-90s.