PDA

View Full Version : Piper Tomahawk

Chrisdt
10th Sep 2010, 12:13
Hi everyone,

I would like to get the opinion of some of the more experienced members on this site. I just saw a Piper Tomahawk on auction that sells for R110 000 or that would be more or less $16 000 US. Does anyone know this specific aircraft type? Can anyone tell me more about this kind of piper and if it is a good plane compared to for instance a Cessna 152?

cavortingcheetah
10th Sep 2010, 14:10
I have a fair few hours instructing on the excrescence called a PA112. I'll hang fire further on the commentary for a little while though. I see you're in South Africa. Just as something to be going on with. Johannesburg sort of averages out at around 5,500ft pressure altitude and 30' Celsius is a reasonable summer's day on the Rand. With all that perspex you'd need a tube of sun tan cream and a hat perhaps. The extra weight of those two items might seriously affect the Tomahawk climb performance.

Cardinal Puff
10th Sep 2010, 14:18
Not to mention limited spar life.:hmm:

baron_beeza
11th Sep 2010, 01:27
Limited spar life ??

Not too many Tomahawks ever get to 18,000 hours. Most have years of life in them.

The life limit was only a certification figure, - it has nothing to do with a perceived weakness of the wing etc.

I am not so sure I have ever seen a Cessna 150 or 152 ever get that many hours either. I am sure some would have.

The Cessna 152 piggy backed off the 150 Type Certificate but took a power penalty to achieve certification. The reason the Tomahawk has a more powerful engine compared to the identical powerplant (almost) in the C152.

I think the initial post is thinking of private use... only a few hundred hours per year.
I am not sure how 'hot or high' the intended operation is.... I have to agree that they are not the best performer in those conditions.

The PA38 is more comfortable and much easier to maintain than the 'C' brand competition also.

baron_beeza
11th Sep 2010, 02:47
Limited spar life ??

Not too many Tomahawks ever get to 18,000 hours. Most have years of life in them.

The life limit was only a certification figure, - it has nothing to do with a perceived weakness of the wing etc.

I am not so sure I have ever seen a Cessna 150 or 152 ever get that many hours either. I am sure some would have.

The Cessna 152 piggy backed off the 150 Type Certificate but took a power penalty to achieve certification. The reason the Tomahawk has a more powerful engine compared to the identical powerplant (almost) in the C152.

I think the initial post is thinking of private use... only a few hundred hours per year.
I am not sure how 'hot or high' the intended operation is.... I have to agree that they are not the best performer in those conditions.

The PA38 is more comfortable and much easier to maintain than the 'C' brand competition also.

james ozzie
11th Sep 2010, 04:41
I learned on a Traumahawk at sea level and I thought it was great. But you can see the high vs. low wing debate emerging when comparing the Tommy & C150/2. Oh, and there is a whole debate about deep stalls with the tee-tail. But like all planes, it has its limitations which MUST be respected. I enjoyed spinning it.

Regarding that price: remember on a light trainer like this, the engine hours are worth more than the airframe. In my day, an engine overhaul was R250,000 every 2,000 hours. So a R350,000 Tomahawk was worth R100,000 after 2,000 hours. Change the engine, and its worth R350,000 once again. The one you are considering is probably near the end of its engine life. But if you are only going to fly it 50 hours a year, that may be no big deal? In fact a brand new engine might disadvantage you as (IIRC) there is a CASA shelf life which dictates an overhaul after "x" number of years, even if the full 2,000 hours are not flown off. Or maybe this one has a low hour engine but is getting close to "X" years? Hopefully another better qualified pruner will be a bit more specific?

Remember too that the market for these planes is quite sophisticated - the owners know the values pretty accurately and the buyers seldom pay over the going rate for one. In other words, there are no bargains around.

Hey Baron Beeza, how things down in ChCh after the big wobble? I see the big chalice did not topple.

baron_beeza
11th Sep 2010, 19:59
Thanks Oz, I believe the chalice is still in place,,.... I like you are seeing it on tv.

I am still in Darwin these days.
The Tomahawk is even better than you suggest,- the engine recommended TBO is 2400hrs but with some schools they are going to 3,000 hrs and of course much further under private ops. I would think 3,400 to be a good figure subject to internal corrosion and LAME considerations.
I have one going under private ops at over 2800 hrs and still pulling much more rpm and power than many new engines. Keep on top of the cam lobe wear by whatever means and these engines are bullet prove.
The bar stool gurus have really done themselves an injustice in this one ,,,, the aircraft has proven to be much more robust and able.....