PDA

View Full Version : VA 747-400 hold temps

Wefeedumall
10th Sep 2010, 11:06
Hi all, just a quick question for reference. Is it possible to maintain the baggage hold temperature between 0-8c during flt (specifically on the VA 747-400's). As I'm not an engineer a straight yes or no will do for me, thanks.

sinkingship
10th Sep 2010, 13:36
AMM "A thermal barrier allows for independent selection for the aft containerized area and bulk area. Two selector switches each labeled CARGO HEAT are located in the aft and bulk cargo door areas to provide for 65F (20C) or 45F (5C) selection. "

Intruder
10th Sep 2010, 16:39
744 Freighters have selectors to control temp individually in the forward and aft lower cargo bays from 4-29C. The pax versions do not have that control on the flight deck.

NSEU
11th Sep 2010, 01:56
Thermal switches normally control the temperature range. However, on freighters and, optionally, pax/combi aircraft, the cargo areas can be treated as an extension of the cabin air-conditioning system with variable temperature control.

Optional temperature ranges for the carriage of live animals (e.g. pets) are switchable on the more basic systems.

Are you questioning the ability of these systems to maintain the temperature range, or are you coming from a different angle?

Regards
NSEU

Wefeedumall
11th Sep 2010, 08:29
Thanks for the info so far. Just to clarify, I work for a catering company and we had an issue with a catering pod that malfunctioned (they have their own inbuilt cooling system) causing the return sector catering to spoil. So hence my question that is it possible for the hold temperature to be maintained between 0 - 8c which is the acceptable range for the perishable food. If this is possible then it could save ourselves and the airline possible future delays and money whilst down route catering is sourced with all its associated costs. The information I require is specific to the VA 747-400's.

t6 sparky
11th Sep 2010, 10:05
Any livestock travelling in the same hold might object to being subjected to such low temperatures.

NSEU
11th Sep 2010, 15:13
Normally, the temperature in the lower cargo areas cannot be kept cold if the outside air temperature is higher than 8C. There is no refrigeration system, other than outside air temperature. On the ground, with the cargo doors open, the cargo temperature will be roughly the same as ambient.

What was the temperature at the departure and arrival airports on the day/s in question?

NSEU
12th Sep 2010, 05:43
Just to clarify, the standard cargo heat system can only *add* heat to ambient temperature. It can't subtract heat. Therefore, the airplane must be operating in temperatures at or below your specified maximum temp to guarantee the perishables remain within your defined temperature range.

Hope this makes sense

Rgds
NSEU

Wefeedumall
12th Sep 2010, 17:17
Thanks for the info NSEU, from what you have said my idea would not work as the a/c would need to maintain a hold temp of less than 8c for the duration of the flt and this could not be guaranteed so therefore the chance could not be taken. Thanks for your help and we'll have to hope the pod doesn't malfunction again.