PDA

View Full Version : Multicrew IR, What happens for single crew type

portsharbourflyer
9th Sep 2010, 22:27
Ok, this question has been asked before but due to poor phrasology it never seems to get a decent answer.

Anyway, I currently have a JAR25/EASA-CS25 multi crew type on the license courtesy of a former employer, lapsed (more than twelve months), but still less than five years, so to undertake another JAR 25 rating there is no requirement for me to revalidate my SPA ME IR (it is only needed for the first MPA type).

However if I were to be offered a job on a JAR 23 (single crew type but operated on a mult crew AOC); do I still need to revalidate my SPA ME/IR before undertaking a rating on a JAR 23 (single pilot) type or class. I couldn't find an answer in LASORs. Before anyone lectures me on the need to be IR current before undertaking a type rating, I can easily refresh the IR skills in a cheap sim rather than spending hundreds of pounds batting about in an ancient overpriced piston twin.

Mercenary Pilot
12th Sep 2010, 20:01
IMHO, I wouldn't have thought so. The original idea under JAR, was for an MPIR to also renew a SPIR and under EASA I wouldn't be surprised if that was now the case anyway. Certainly under the ratings page of my licence it now just says 'Instrument' as a rating. It doesn't say differentiate between the SP, MP or the individual aircraft ratings themselves.

Also, It may depend on the type of aircraft. A B200 or PC-12 would have instrument sections as part of the type rating which should also renew your IR. However, if it was something like a malibu then I'm not sure whether it has mandatory instrument portions for the TR to be issued.

The best advice is to email the CAA then if there is any disagreements about the issue later down the road, you will have it in writing. They are usually pretty quick to respond. Also like you've already said, you wouldn't need to go anywhere near an actual aircraft to renew your IR anyway.

Good luck
:ok:

portsharbourflyer
12th Sep 2010, 21:30
Mercenary,

Thanks for the reply, Just one slight misunderstanding, for my SPA ME IR, if it did need to be revalidated prior to doing a JAR/
CS23 type rating, I would have to revalidate in the aircraft, which in this case the only platform to revalidate on would be a piston twin. When I said I could refresh the IR skills in the sim ,then I meant I could easily get the scan back up to speed in a cheap sim as preparation for the next rating, without actually going through the expense of an actual revalidation.

As we know there is no issue if the next rating is a JAR/CS25 type, the question mark is if it is a JAR 23 type. Anyway, I must research the latest rules from EASA, shows I am getting abit out of touch with things.

Mercenary Pilot
13th Sep 2010, 20:20
PHF

Out of interest, Why would you have to revalidate it in the aircraft? I thought the SP/IR could be done in a sim? (just not the MEP part)

Anyhow, let me know if you find a definitive answer. Im obviously also getting out of touch with the regs.

Cheers

mad_jock
14th Sep 2010, 00:27
you can only do it in the sim if it is still valid for SPA-IR-MEP

Once it is up you have to do it in the aircraft.

Jar and EASA don't really care about SPA so you don't need anything valid. you just get the tick when the examiner does everything. If your outside 7 years of holding a ICAO IR of any form be it MPL or SPA you will have issues anything else they are not really interested enough to form any rules about.

And why should they, all pilots will be doing MPL and flying heavy tin in the future. Flying IFR single pilot is dangerous and so far out side anyones experence at gatwick it deemed impossible and deadly.