PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 430

flyingscotsman99
9th Sep 2010, 12:03
Can anyone help me with the Garmin 430? I have had a play with the basic 'sim' which they produce, but I cannot seem to define my own waypoint by lat and long.
I can name a waypoint, say 51N1W. It then says 'create new waypoint?'
The problem is there is no prompt to input a lat/long and If I press 'ENT' it creates the waypoint where the 'sim' is, in this case at Cranfield. I did once have 'Modify?' displayed and thought I had cracked it, but nothing I then did gave me a lat/long prompt.
It is just possible the 'sim' has limited functionality, so I will try on a real aircraft, but the battery flattens very fast on the ground and I probably have better things to do in flight.
Failing everything, we will put groundpower on a a plane on maintenance in a couple of weeks, but I am quite keen to find out before that. Any Garmin 430 experts out there?

aterpster
9th Sep 2010, 13:36
The simulators work exactly like the hardware.

One way to get there is to enter the name of the waypoint on the active flight plan page. It will ask you if you want to create that waypoint. That takes you to the page that permits you to back into the LAT/LON box and modify it to your choice. And, further up on that page you can even create a waypoint using radial/distance or radial/radial.

It's all covered in the manual. :)

SNS3Guppy
9th Sep 2010, 13:44
www8.garmin.com/manuals/GNS430_PilotsGuide.pdf

Go to the user waypoint page, activate the cursor by pushing the small, inner knob, and enter the name of your waypoint.

Press ENT.

Your present position will appear in the lat/long box at the bottom of the screen, if you're getting a GPS signal that gives you that position. If you want to save the present position as your waypoint, use the large knob to move the cursor over to CREATE, and press ENT.

If instead you want to enter a different LAT/LONG, then use the large knob to highlight the POSITIONfield. Use the large and small knobs to enter the position you want. Then use the large knob to highlight CREATE, and press ENT.

When you're done, press the small knob to remove the cursor. The waypoint is now in memory, and you can establish other waypoints from it, fly direct to it, or whatever you wish.

If you'd rather create a waypoint off an existing waypoint (such as a hold off a VOR radial, for example), rather than highlighting the POSITION box, you can highlight the REF WPT box and enter your information there.

The guide linked above will give you step-by-step instruction.

flyingscotsman99
9th Sep 2010, 16:20
Thank you. With these 2 answers and the full manual as opposed to a quick reference I think I am sorted.:)