PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an instructor

trex600
8th Sep 2010, 20:52
Can somebody briefly tell me what needs to be done and in what order to become a flying instructor post PPL

Also a rough price guide as to what your likely to spend

Duchess_Driver
8th Sep 2010, 23:15
In a nutshell....

CPL level knowledge and exams
Alongside
Hour building
FI course and skills test.

Ballpark FI would be £6K.

If you want to earn money at being an FI then you need CPL airwork and test as well.

mykul10
9th Sep 2010, 10:25
Just to add a bit to DD...

200 hours total time required before FIC, which must include 150 hours P1 for PPL holder or 100 hours P1 for CPL holder. This must include a 300nm XC (as does the CPL)

£6-£7k for FI course, but that of course doesn't include hours building, CPL writtens, CPL skills test and course.

maxred
9th Sep 2010, 11:01
Guys on this thread what are the med certificate requirements?

Charlie Zulu
9th Sep 2010, 20:15
To hold a CPL: Class 1 Medical
To hold a PPL: Class 2 Medical

You can add an FI rating to either a CPL or PPL and the medical requirements do not change.

However you are (at present) unable to receive payment for working as a flight instructor if holding only a PPL and you still need to have passed the CPL or ATPL written examinations.

ajstoner21
12th Sep 2010, 20:58
Maybe medical classes are different in the USA, but:

Private Pilot: 3rd class medical
Commercial Pilot/Flight Instructor: 2nd class medical
ATP: 1st class medical

I should mention, as long as the instructor doesn't have to act as pilot in command, no medical is necessary. (For example, training an already licensed pilot for a high performance or complex aircraft, or even commercial flight maneuvers)

ajstoner21
13th Sep 2010, 00:12
I am not a CFI yet, but I just assumed (bad... I Know) that since you needed a commercial license to get the CFI (pretty sure?), and that you were being paid for services that a 2nd class medical was required, but it makes since that you'd only need a 3rd class since you are training, and not being paid to fly...