PDA

View Full Version : New Passenger Boarding?

ATC83
8th Sep 2010, 09:16
Has anyone seen this new passenger boarding product "Aviramp" in this month's Airport's International Magazine? Raalloy Aluminium Ramps, Platforms and Stairs - Aircraft Boarding Ramps (http://www.raalloy.co.uk/Other_Products/Aircraft_Boarding_Ramps.html)

Seems like a good idea, especially due to the recent incident of the child falling off steps on a Ryanair aircraft. I've seen a women fall on slippery steps in the wet weather with child in hand! Not good!

punk666
8th Sep 2010, 10:26
Its a good idea but it will take up so much space on the stand and will need a tug to move it, or alot of man power which wouldnt be logical to have for these loco's that have 20 minute turn around's.

The usual steps used at present can be moved with 2 people only, infact I have personally seen one person move it which isn't a clever idea but still its possible.

Wannabe Flyer
8th Sep 2010, 10:48
Hey I have seen these being used for the past year with Indigo Airlines at VDIP. They are cool and allow easy boarding including taking the wheelchair upto the door or the aircraft. Don't know about the logistics though.

overthewing
8th Sep 2010, 11:14
As a clumsy SLF, this appeals to me. I can't see it working for presidential visits though. :}

Feathers McGraw
8th Sep 2010, 12:39
From memory, the falling child incident occurred right up at the top of the stairs near the aircraft door area. The child fell through the gap between the stair sides and the aircraft fuselage.

These ramps would still have the same problem in that there must be some sort of gap between the stairs and the aircraft skin and small children can pass through a gap that would restrain an adult without problems.

PaperTiger
8th Sep 2010, 14:24
We've been using these for a couple of years. One man can move them.

I think there are bigger versions for bigger planes.

TW2025 Passenger Ramp | KCI Turboway (http://www.kcigse.com/kci-products/boarding-ramps/tw2025-passenger-ramp/) (commercial link I guess, but ... ?)

Skipness One Echo
8th Sep 2010, 15:58
Wouldn't we look even more like cows boarding the slaughter wagon? It really does resemble something we used to see on the farm for cattle.....really!

*all say "Moooo"*
"....and have your boarding hooves ready for inspection at the gate."

PAXboy
8th Sep 2010, 16:12
As a Pax, I think it looks great (the UK model). Lifting the rollaboard case up the stairs is no fun. Looking at their website, the manning problem is handled thus:
The whole unit can be operated by one person driven by hydraulics with a small diesel engine as the power source.

Their problem is waiting for airports to replace old stairs or for new airports to buy in. It will be a long slow business as no airport is going to replace working sets of stairs. If they break, or their maintenance becomes too high - then there is a chance.

Donkey497
10th Sep 2010, 19:56
I seem to recall using something very simlar at YHM a couple of years ago.

Fine in good weather, not so good in inclement weather without a canopy, especially when you're a fair distance from the terminal.

Trig
17th Sep 2010, 04:21
I have heard about this system and from reading the specification looks to me as though these guys have this sewn up. The KCI ramp is at 18 degrees theirs is 7 degrees and the Indigo one looks more.
A close relation is a wheelchair user and I can tell you from personal experience that there is no way you could push a wheelchair with someone in it up 18 degrees.
I see there's a video on their website of a girl pushing up a wheelchair with someone in it - if this is true I cant wait to see the end result
I am in the right hand seat and see all the time a tug pulling stairs and if its doing away with Ambulifts and and Catering trucks as they claim, that's surely got to be less space on stand.
Must admit bit annoyed with the guy who compares to cattle - and I would point out that you have to line up whenever you board an aircraft.
Hopefully this will give my disabled Sister in Law some dignity back and let her board with everyone else instead of being taken away and put in a rickety old Ambulift http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/smilies2/eusa_clap.gif
Good luck you guys in Telford cant wait to see it in operation !!!

Trig
17th Sep 2010, 04:30
Sorry I forgot to say I am not new to PPrune as my post quantity suggests its just been about 18 months since last logged on and after a new computer completely lost log in details. I did have over 1000 posts then known as Trig 1 or 2 or 3 or ??? cant remember so back as Trig and as this product could be of family personal values I think its worth supporting all the way

ATC83
17th Sep 2010, 09:06
I've heard that these guys are working with one of the low-cost airlines in the UK on the development side of this.
Trig is right, trying to get a wheelchair up those KCI ramps is an absolute nightmare. And some of them can be slippery too. If you have a look at the Telford company "Raalloy" I think it is, the other pages show the flooring they use - seems to me that they have been making slip-resistant ramps or years.

The fact that its made from aluminium rather than steel (like steps) means it must be much lighter. With Hydraulic drives I think they may be right - one person could move it.

Good luck to these guys, its a great idea. Yeah it's gonna take them time to get them into the airports but imagine how much time and money could be saved. Pre-boarding passengers on to the ramp is a big bonus, how often have us pilots sat there waiting for the final few to come trickling out cause they've been busy buying crap in duty free??

Dawdler
18th Sep 2010, 00:41
From the video, the Turboway doesn't look as though it is wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair at thr top nor at the bottom. Having had a ride on the "Scissorlift" at BHX I am not in any great hurry to repeat it.

Rwy in Sight
18th Sep 2010, 21:13
There is also the issue about storing the unit when not in use. I think it takes a lot more space than the classic stairs and space around the stands is at a premium.

Rwy in Sight

ATC83
19th Jan 2011, 15:46
Looks like these boys have got it sewn up...good luck to them! :ok:

Firm gets big lift with new aviation invention « Express & Star (http://www.expressandstar.com/business/midlands-business/2011/01/19/firm-gets-big-lift-with-new-aviation-invention/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+expressandstar_main+(expressandstar.com+M ain+Feed))